Tips needed for Panama canal trip on Statendam

madera1

We did this trip in January, two weeks one-way from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego. It was fabulous!! We had only been on RCL's ships - which we love! - and we loved the Statendam. It doesn't have the "wow" factor which you get when you walk aboard the big RCL ships, but it has some exquisite touches everywhere. And the service was superb.

There is a small observation deck above the bridge right in front, where we spent most of our day going through the canal. It was never too crowded, even at "peak" viewing times, and totally empty at others. Make sure you have your sunscreen on, applied liberally & frequently! And be careful holding the rail while you're watching. As I said, we were outside most of the day, and that night I realized I had blisters on my hands from gripping the rail throughout the day! I had been so engrossed in the passage that I hadn't even noticed!

Also, wake up & get out earlier than they tell you they'll be starting the canal passage ... otherwise you'll miss the first approach.

There is a small observation deck above the bridge right in front, where we spent most of our day going through the canal. It was never too crowded, even at "peak" viewing times, and totally empty at others. Make sure you have your sunscreen on, applied liberally & frequently! And be careful holding the rail while you're watching. As I said, we were outside most of the day, and that night I realized I had blisters on my hands from gripping the rail throughout the day! I had been so engrossed in the passage that I hadn't even noticed!

Also, wake up & get out earlier than they tell you they'll be starting the canal passage ... otherwise you'll miss the first approach.

We sailed Canal on Rotterdam but Lady Chew's advice above is good for any Canal trip. I was on the deck she mentioned and there were very few people there while the main deck on the bow was 3 to 4 deep. I did have to go down there to get a Panama Roll.

John

Has anyone sailed on the Statendam for a Panama Canal trip? I just booked but our only experience on Holland has been on the Eurodam. Looking to hear about any tips about this ship and/or this itinerary.

We did Panama a couple of years ago and got some good advice from fellow cruisers. It was to view the canal from several different points on the ship. We got up early as a previous poster has advised and went to the bow to view the Gatun Locks passage.

We watched the lake from our verandah and had lunch in the MDR (watch that or you may miss the Centennial Bridge, however). We saw the bridge from the aft deck level.

We went down the promenade deck for the Miraflores Lock since that put us down on dock level and we were able to reach out and nearly touch the edge of the canal stonework. It's an impressively tight fit and worth seeing from that level.

We were into the locks by 7am and out the other end by 4pm, so it doesn't take long.

that's true, we didn't spend all our time in one spot!

This is a cruise we'd love to repeat!!

You may also want to read David McCullough's book, The Path Between the Seas, to get the history of construction of the canal. It's a little long, but it's fascinating, and gave us a lot of extra insight into what we were seeing as we went through.

The books stops when the canal was first opened, though, so you may want to find a more up-to-date book to show some of the changes as technology developed. I went to the library and ended up with an excellent "J" ("juvenile) book that explained a lot of that, and had lots of fun pictures! After the McCullough book, we didn't need another heavy tome!

All the above posts are right on. We were on the Statendam Panama Canal cruise last March, Fort Lauderdale round trip, 28 days. What a lovely ship. The size is wonderful. We viewed the canal from the bow and the aft and every place in between. This is a memorable cruise.

Thank you all for your tips. We have only sailed on the Eurodam so realize that this ship is much smaller. We won't have a balcony but will plan to move about the ship for optimum views. I plan to pick up the book you recommended ( have read other books by the same author) and read it before sailing.

It will be my first time sailing on Statendam too. Going during the Holiday/Newyears. I have cruised the Panama twice and both times it was from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego. Just loved the whole experience. Not every day you can say that you went thought/between North America & South America. :D Hope you enjoy the cruise!!

Has anyone sailed on the Statendam for a Panama Canal trip? I just booked but our only experience on Holland has been on the Eurodam. Looking to hear about any tips about this ship and/or this itinerary.

When are you sailing on the Statendam? Captain Albert is going to be the Captain of the Statendam starting on September 29th. He blogs daily from whatever ship he is on. http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/

His old blogs of when he was on the Ryndam, tells of going through the canal as would his trip in January 2010 for the South American cruise on the Prinsendam.

Here's his schedule:

My sailing schedule

ms Statendam

1. 29 September 2011 – 09 December 2011

2. 09 March 2012 - 09 July 2012 (approximate)

3. mid Oct – 2012 - early Jan 2012

And I made a photo book of our first half of the cruise on the Statendam in October of 2009. Didn't finish making a book of our second half of the B2B cruise from SD.

http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=157199

We enjoyed the Statendam Panama Canal trip last November 2010 and especially liked the Argovia Coffee and Flower Plantation tour in Puerto Chiapas if this is on your itinerary. And we still order our coffee from them which is about the same price as good premium coffee in the US, even with the shipping costs. Wonderful tour and very beautiful resort plantation and drive through the rain forest jungle country to get there.

We did the Gautun Locks by Night tour and got back too late for last call for Lido buffet - so plan to eat ahead of time or expect room service only if this also happens to you too - hard to time these things precisely waiting for tour busses and all for such a late evening tour.

The Antigua on your own tour in Guatamala was very enjoyable too. Not sure what stops you will have as they change for the different directions - ours was SD to FLL. And Statendam engine trouble did delay our departure for about 5 hours but lost time was made up and the rest of the cruise when fine.

Beware of any alleged Grayline city tour buyer protection scam in Cartegena - tour leader claimed they offered the same program that HAL offers when purchasing items at their "Greyline" logo shops, until you get home and find out Grayline doesn't even know what you are talking about - watch out for the Emeralds of Columbia place if they are still trying this Grayline scam - got bit with a small pendent that fell out of its gold mounting and had to be reset - good news/bad news because loose stones are duty free but set ones are not -- but it didn't fall out until it got home and luckily was easily repaired. (Nor did it require duty anyway with the collective amount availble as an exemption)

HAL had already warned passengers to shop only in their authorized shops so this was not a fault of HAL's but it did show poor confidence in using this particular Greyline tour leader. Happy ending -- it is lovely pendent.

We enjoyed the Statendam Panama Canal trip last November 2010 and especially liked the Argovia Coffee and Flower Plantation tour in Puerto Chiapas if this is on your itinerary. And we still order our coffee from them which is about the same price as good premium coffee in the US, even with the shipping costs. Wonderful tour and very beautiful resort plantation and drive through the rain forest jungle country to get there.

We did the Gautun Locks by Night tour and got back too late for last call for Lido buffet - so plan to eat ahead of time or expect room service only if this also happens to you too - hard to time these things precisely waiting for tour busses and all for such a late evening tour.

The Antigua on your own tour in Guatamala was very enjoyable too. Not sure what stops you will have as they change for the different directions - ours was SD to FLL. And Statendam engine trouble did delay our departure for about 5 hours but lost time was made up and the rest of the cruise when fine.

Beware of any alleged Grayline city tour buyer protection scam in Cartegena - tour leader claimed they offered the same program that HAL offers when purchasing items at their "Greyline" logo shops, until you get home and find out Grayline doesn't even know what you are talking about - watch out for the Emeralds of Columbia place if they are still trying this Grayline scam - got bit with a small pendent that fell out of its gold mounting and had to be reset - good news/bad news because loose stones are duty free but set ones are not -- but it didn't fall out until it got home and luckily was easily repaired. (Nor did it require duty anyway with the collective amount availble as an exemption)

HAL had already warned passengers to shop only in their authorized shops so this was not a fault of HAL's but it did show poor confidence in using this particular Greyline tour leader. Happy ending -- it is lovely pendent.

If you have Cartegena on your itinerary, check out the Colombia section under ports. We booked a private tour for the 4 of us with Dora. She is written about on that site on CC. We had a wonderful tour of the old city and requested no shopping! They met us at the gangplank since one of our party had trouble walking distances. Dora is the company and she may take your tour or have another guide. We had Elking and he was terrific.

Ooooh - thanks for the info on tours. I'd really like to do private (non-HAL) tours simply for the small number of people they accommodate (definitely not a crowds person!). I'm also wondering which ports are good for just "walking around" (and why)? Here are the ports on this trip (I know I can look at the Ports-of-Call Board, too):

Oranjestad, Aruba

Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Huatulco, Mexico (twice)

Acapulco, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Puerto Chiapas, Mexico

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Fuerte Amador, Panama

Cartagena, Colombia

Ooooh - thanks for the info on tours. I'd really like to do private (non-HAL) tours simply for the small number of people they accommodate (definitely not a crowds person!). I'm also wondering which ports are good for just "walking around" (and why)? Here are the ports on this trip (I know I can look at the Ports-of-Call Board, too):

Oranjestad, Aruba

Huatulco, Mexico (twice)

Acapulco, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Puerto Chiapas, Mexico

Fuerte Amador, Panama

Cartagena, Colombia

The Puerto Chiapas tour was a pretty small group - it was a bit pricey but we thought very well worth it just to take the drive up into this beautiful country. Equal recommendations to do the on-your-own city tour of Antigua when you stop in Guatemala.

Walk around on your own ports are: Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Huatulco though you will tender into Cabo and it takes a local bus ride into the Puerto Vallarta main town for a few peso's - bus stops right next to the port entrance. Huatulco stop is right on the beach with inviting palapa-shaded restaurants for snacks and drinks and a simple but somewhat charming town to explore on foot.

Both Puerto Chiapas and Quetzel ports were remotely located, but each provided some tourist amenities at the dock side for shopping and relaxation. Pamama was a tender port and Cartagena was quite a ways out of town. Great handicraft shopping at Puerto Quetzel dock shops.

Agree it is surprising to still see Acapulco on your itinerary - a fast moving front unfortunately with Mexican ports these days - still sorry to see Mazatlan dropped as that was a favorite of ours.

Cabo - We took a HAL boat trip out to see the Arches. It was beautiful and worth doing. We didn't bother with the bus option, but sat in one of the many sidewalk restaurants and had drinks. There were many vendors by the harbor and we probably could've done the boat trip for less, but since we didn't think it was expensive to begin with we just signed up. Don't miss the boat trip.

Hautalco - This can be a very long and sunny walk on the pier to shore. Be aware if you have walking problems. It's very doable, but long. We just walked around the beach area and took in the atmosphere.

Antigua on your own- We did this and loved it. We were let off at the Jade Factory store, given a brief welcome and then hired one of the many local guides that were in the store waiting. We were 4 and had a lovely walk around Antigua. Very worthwhile. You will heaar more about the jade factory and their owners on the ship. Very interesting lectures on Guatemala. Be sure to attend.

Costa Rica - We took a HAL bus tour to see the area. There isn't much at the port.

Hope this helps. We do a mix of HAL and private tours, usually, plus some ports we just walk around. CC is a wealth of information.

Note that Acapulco has been dropped from the itinerary. HAL is giving us a $75/pp onboard credit to compensate us.

Yes, I've read that Acapulco is currently dropped - it's still on the web site itinerary (March 2012) which is why I included it in the list. Who knows what will be going on 6 months from now, or what other ports may also prove to be too dangerous... Would have liked to see the cliff drivers but OBC is ok, too - there are other ports I would be more sorry to "lose."

We do a mix of HAL and private tours, usually, plus some ports we just walk around.

This is what we will do, too.

Note that Acapulco has been dropped from the itinerary. HAL is giving us a $75/pp onboard credit to compensate us.

Has Acapulco been dropped from all upcoming cruises? The HAL website still shows excursions to book for our sailing on March 2.

Yes, I've read that Acapulco is currently dropped - it's still on the web site itinerary (March 2012) which is why I included it in the list. Who knows what will be going on 6 months from now, or what other ports may also prove to be too dangerous... Would have liked to see the cliff drivers but OBC is ok, too - there are other ports I would be more sorry to "lose."

This is what we will do, too.

We also do the same. We actually own several timeshares in Cabo and go there a few times every year so know that stop VERY well.

Oranjestad, Aruba

Huatulco, Mexico (twice)

Acapulco, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Puerto Chiapas, Mexico

Fuerte Amador, Panama

Cartagena, Colombia

Aruba can be done on your own, but if you want a fabulous tour. You might see if Ivan J. Gordijk is available. ijgordijk@setarnet.awWe booked a 3 hour tour of Aruba with him. He is a taxi cab driver--Mercedes that seats 7 passengers. In 2010 his price was $135. But I'm sure the price has risen. We felt the price was great considering HAL's prices. A member of CC on our Prinsendam SA voyage recommended him. They had used him the last time they were in Aruba. He e-mailed me back and asked what we wanted to see. Aruba has an interactive map so you can see all the scenic sites on the map. I gave him a list. I was very oprehensive about the trip.

But I shouldn't have been. It was the best tour we had ever taken. Ivan is first class. He trained all the bus drivers on Aruba how to do the tours. How he makes money doing his own trips. His price is similar to other taxi's in Aruba. I thought he was just going to drive us around. He put on a headset and started talking about Aruba and the places that we were going to see. We shared the trip with another couple so the price was really reasonable. I would share it with just 5 people. But there is room for one in the front. Three in the middle seat and for 2 or 3 in the back seat, I believe.

Fuerte Amador, I would just take the tender over to do shopping on the causeway. We didn't take any night tours. We did tour Panama City on a two day stop in Panama on our SA cruise.

Cabo is fun just walking around.

Cartagena, I would recommend a tour. I'm not sure that I would want to do Cartagena on my own.

Puerto Quetzal---there is entertainment at the port, but not much to see. Reason for stopping is to travel to Antigua or as we did Tikal.

Puerto Chiapas---Not much to do here either. We took a tour to see the ruins. Very poor area. Enjoyed our tour of the ruins and nearby city.

Puerto Caldera--Is a another port where you would want to take a tour.

Huatulco---is a lovely stop. You can just lay out on the beach or wander around the waterfront. You might be able to get a taxi to the nearby town. Everything is clean and nice in Huatulco. You will enjoy your time there.

Hope this helps.

Archived