Heald: New Loyalty Program

happy cruzin

Many people are posting regarding how any changes will affect people who have been doing 3 & 4 days cruises. What about those of us that have been doing 7-10 days cruises and now are having to acquire a lot more "points" to get to the 25-50-75 beneifits (if it exists then) or next tier? So should it be fair that we get extra points for every cruise to get us closer to the next teir? This whole thing is openning up a can of worms that seems will not satify everyone, but since no one knows what the program is yet, and what the benefits are for those under the 75 points (which we still don't know if that is the number) there is no reason to be slamming Carnival and fretting over any of this.

Many people are posting regarding how any changes will affect people who have been doing 3 & 4 days cruises. What about those of us that have been doing 7-10 days cruises and now are having to acquire a lot more "points" to get to the 25-50-75 beneifits (if it exists then) or next tier? So should it be fair that we get extra points for every cruise to get us closer to the next teir? This whole thing is openning up a can of worms that seems will not satify everyone, but since no one knows what the program is yet, and what the benefits are for those under the 75 points (which we still don't know if that is the number) there is no reason to be slamming Carnival and fretting over any of this.

Absolutely!

Which is why IMHO, it is taking Carnival this long to make the changes and they keep throwing out these surveys to get a reaction and see if they are "on the right track" ;).

To me, it seems as though Carnival will go the same as Royal Caribbean. When they changed their loyalty plan to days cruised rather than number of cruises, all the same arguments were made by cruisers as are being made now.

Royal ended up grandfathering in those who were Diamond and Diamond Plus and used a formula to give even the people who sailed 3 day cruises the same number of days as 7 day cruisers to equal the Diamond and Platinum level. I am not sure, but I think they also gave lower level credit equal to the number of days needed to be the level they were, ie Platinum on Royal Caribbean and they instituted a new level between Diamond and Diamond Plus.

Doing the change as they did, there were some people who needed one more cruise and probably would have done it with a 3 day and found out they couldn't get to Diamond doing the 10 3 day cruises any longer( or 5 in a junior suite or higher) so they were up in arms and said they would no longer sail Royal Caribbean. I'm sure some of them don't sail Royal Caribbean, but it appears that Royal Caribbean still has a large following and there are those who said they wouldn't sail that line are still sailing with them.

I believe the same will happen with Carnival. There will be some who will stop sailing them and go to the AI. Some will say they won't sail Carnival, but when they check prices of other lines or check itineraries, will have to swallow their words and continue to sail Carnival. Each person has to decide what is best for him/her. What's good for me might not be the best for you. It might also give some cruisers the opportunity to try another line and make the decision as to that line's value.

OK I guess I missed something somewhere - where is anything mentioned about number of days??

It was discussed in a survey that some CC members received - it appears to be changing to a points system - based on length of the cruise:

Tier 1: 1 to 24 points

Tier 2: 25 to 74 points

Tier 3: 75 to 224 points

Tier 4: 225 plus points

Here are the links to what were the 2 most active threads....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1479712

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1479686

You should be good to go. My understanding is that this won't actually be implemented until early (first half?) of next year.

(Congratulations)!!

Tom

Thanks! We will be in the Vierra area a few nights before our wedding, my sister lives there. My fiance gets to meet the whole family for the first time.:eek:

I am thinking how will the new 75 day system work, this Oct is our 10th cruise and we will have 70 days under our belt. On July 2012 we are taking a 8 night cruise giving us 78 days, will the first 5 days up to 75 be Gold and the last 3 days from 75 to 78 will change to Platinum? are we going to have a Gold SS card till 75 and receive a new Platinum SS cards from 76 and up???? (I am sure lots of passengers will be in this situation) and I can guarantee you there will be a few passengers going to GS demanding their Platinum status on the 75 day. I think it will be confusing, like in our case the 75 day is in the middle of our cruise. If you leave it as is at 10 cruises regardless of the days you become Platinum there is no confusion. (I am sure there will be passengers with 9 and 8 cruises who will be on the same situation)

The same logic to me applies--whatever you started cruise at, you remian for entire cruise. It is same for those who turn 18 on cruise, they are not officially 18 since they started cruise at age 17 and cannot get into adult clubs. Same goes for someone turning 21 during cruise--they cannot purchase alcohol using their sign n' sail card as status is recognized as day cruise starts.

To me it seems that tier one is the current past guest - gold card; tier two is the platinum - platinum card; and the third tier is milestone - white card. The fourth tier is something new, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

To me it seems that tier one is the current past guest - gold card; tier two is the platinum - platinum card; and the third tier is milestone - white card. The fourth tier is something new, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

One of the suggestions in the survey was a silver, gold, platinum, diamond designation...and since tier three was suggested to be at 75 nights, that would be a slightly higher to achieve platinum than the current 10 cruises.

I'm going this Saturday on my 8th Carnival cruise. If I take one more cruise I'm platinum right? so after your ninth cruise you are platinum and will get the "privileges" on your tenth cruise?

When you embark on your 10th cruise, you are Platinum. Not knowing exactly how this eventual change will play out - I don't know if having completed your 9th (and then the program kicks in) means that you will be immediately at the higher level upon your next sailing. Perhaps you can squeeze in a quickie after your 9th to lock in your level... just in case!

Tom

When you embark on your 10th cruise, you are Platinum. Not knowing exactly how this eventual change will play out - I don't know if having completed your 9th (and then the program kicks in) means that you will be immediately at the higher level upon your next sailing. Perhaps you can squeeze in a quickie after your 9th to lock in your level... just in case!

Tom

What about me?? I need to squeeze in 2 to lock in my milestone.... :...

unfortuneately for me, dont have the vacay days or cash to do so in the little time left this year.... crap..... sucks for me... :(

unfortuneately for me, dont have the vacay days or cash to do so in the little time left this year.... crap..... sucks for me... :(

Well, if they do this right, you'll be 23/25ths of the way to the highest tier of the new program.

Tom

Well, if they do this right, you'll be 23/25ths of the way to the highest tier of the new program.

Tom

Almost the same thing here for me cruzn buckeye... At 22 and dont have the time or money to "fit" it in. Unless, of course, its going to be like it has been, "The new program will be coming out soon.....3 years later!!!" By then I will hopefully have 3 more cruises in, be Milestone, and be Grandfathered (maybe!!!) :)

Tom,

Don't know what you do for a living, but do you think you could suggest your idea to the Beards because, quite honestly, from what I've been seeing lately, they're too stupid to figure it out themselves!!!

Tom,

Don't know what you do for a living, but do you think you could suggest your idea to the Beards because, quite honestly, from what I've been seeing lately, they're too stupid to figure it out themselves!!!

I have had a few conversations (phone and email) with Jim Berra --- the beard behind the program. I have relayed my thoughts and suggestions. Now, as to whether anything comes of it (and when)... who knows!

Tom

So the lesson for people to learn is that perks and rewards are just that. They're perks and rewards. They are not a god given right. This applies to all cruise lines, airlines and hotels. Like many things in life, reward programs are subject to change and in many cases are subject to change without notice.

I have yet to have any issues with regular boarding, I pack enough clothing that I don't need to worry about laundry service and I have an iPad so I don't really need to care or worry about stationary or notepads. If those are the types of things that would sway you from one cruise line to an other then I'm going to guess that you don't really fall into the category of loyal.

I cruise Carnival because I like the ships, the activities, the environment, the other cruisers and the staff.

So the lesson for people to learn is that perks and rewards are just that. They're perks and rewards. They are not a god given right. This applies to all cruise lines, airlines and hotels. Like many things in life, reward programs are subject to change and in many cases are subject to change without notice.

I have yet to have any issues with regular boarding, I pack enough clothing that I don't need to worry about laundry service and I have an iPad so I don't really need to care or worry about stationary or notepads. If those are the types of things that would sway you from one cruise line to an other then I'm going to guess that you don't really fall into the category of loyal.

I cruise Carnival because I like the ships, the activities, the environment, the other cruisers and the staff.

Thank you.

I feel the same way.

Perks are not very high on my list of reasons why I choose Carnival.

@BrettH. I could not have said this any better. I have considered a post to this thread but restrained myself. The entitlement of many (by no means all) is a sad situation and us, like you, would continue to cruise CCL regardless of what they may offer for our loyalty. Personally, I am fed us seeing so many start their posts with "we are platinum (or diamond, or whatever)". Who cares -- no one!!

Unfortunately the original purpose of CC has been lost over the years.

B&B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm very confused.

What do "they" have to do right?

Last time I checked the program has yet to change at all.

Did I miss something?

Just my opinion - and you know what I meant by it.

MANY people have opinions on here - and they are understandably different!

Tom

Perks are not very high on my list of reasons why I choose Carnival.

Nor mine (as to reasons I cruise Carnival). Though I am pleased with what I found when I became somewhat bored with the Carnival product, and tested the waters elsewhere!

Options are a GOOD thing!

Tom

I'm very confused.

What do "they" have to do right?

Last time I checked the program has yet to change at all.

Did I miss something?

I could be wrong......but I think he was referring to the method - or process - that would be used for the grandfathering that has become such a hot topic.

Archived