Gluten free the Westerdam is not!!

lifeizgr8

THE WESTERDAM ~HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

If you or a family member is Gluten Free or has Celiac Disease this ship does a terrible job of offering gluten free meals!!

We had a horrible experience and will not return until they understand how serious this can be for some people.:mad::mad::mad:

DAVE,

PORTLAND, OREGON:mad::mad:

Can you give more details.

Did you contact them before the cruise to say you needed gluten-free? Was the problem in the MDR or everywhere on the ship?

I have always found HAL very good at providing special dietary needs. The only time we have had a problem has been with room service so we tend not to use that now.

We were on the Volendam a few years back and I recall at the dessert extravaganza there was a special section set up exclusively for gluten free paxs. And the gluten free folks seemed to be guarding the area pretty well as I recall.

You just have to tell HAL in advance....

I had read her review this weekend (was a featured review on CC's home page). She made the best out of a bad situation and enjoyed her cruise anyway. Dave must be the reviewers husband. Still sorry that the ship could not accomodate, I have read where others have had very good success with special dietary needs including getting menus the night before.

I had read her review this weekend (was a featured review on CC's home page). She made the best out of a bad situation and enjoyed her cruise anyway. Dave must be the reviewers husband. Still sorry that the ship could not accomodate, I have read where others have had very good success with special dietary needs including getting menus the night before.

On our Bermuda cruise last year, a woman at our table on the first night needed a gluten-free diet. Toward the end of the meal, the restaurant manager or assistant manager brought her the list of everything on the next night's menu. Instead of looking for items she might like and asking about them, she asked about EVERY item on the entire menu. It must have taken at least 20 minutes. The manager took as much time as she wanted and answered every question. I was impressed with the effort he made to make sure would have what she needed. Didn't see the couple again (open seating), but I would hope that all the time they spent going over the menu got her a tasty, safe meal. It would be a shame to have "front of the house" be so helpful and then be let down by the kitchen.

HAL provides special menus...on our last cruise a woman at the table we were sitting at had a special dairy free menu.

So they do, even though there have been periodic complaints that HAL *doesn't* make the effort to provide for allergies.

op made no mention of clarifying the words "Celiac disease" as being alergic to flour products. Maybe they might have understood better!

It seems to me that some of the allergic people(not necessarily the OP) have NOT talked to HAL before they boarded.

As an aside- for health reasons, my sister-in-law is on a gluten free diet and is doing well with it. I'll be mentioning to her that she should get in touch with HAL before our family cruise next year.

op made no mention of clarifying the words "Celiac disease" as being alergic to flour products. Maybe they might have understood better!

On my cruise the restaurant manager understood celiac disease without needing to have it explained. I would hope that they would know something about all reasonably common food-related ailments and allergies, since they have to deal with these problems frequently.

Thanks for the link. I did have sympathy for the OP until I read that.

Yeah. Making them throw out a gluten-free pizza because it was cut with a pizza cutter that had previously cut a regular pizza? From wikipedia: "The term gluten-free is generally used to indicate a supposed harmless level of gluten rather than a complete absence."

How much gluten could possibly have still been on the pizza cutter to warrant throwing out a perfectly good pizza? Does HAL charge these sorts of people more than the rest of us, and if not, why not?

Yeah. Making them throw out a gluten-free pizza because it was cut with a pizza cutter that had previously cut a regular pizza? From wikipedia: "The term gluten-free is generally used to indicate a supposed harmless level of gluten rather than a complete absence."

How much gluten could possibly have still been on the pizza cutter to warrant throwing out a perfectly good pizza? Does HAL charge these sorts of people more than the rest of us, and if not, why not?

For me it was more the demanding this and that and ripping people a new one. You can catch more bees with honey then vinegar.

The word gluten caught my eye. I have Celiac, and have been on several cruises since my diagnosis. Not HAL since then, but I can speak for Princess, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity, and RCI as to being very helpful. The head waiter brings me the next night's menu to help me choose what is GF. They will for all 3 meals in the MDR. At the buffet, you best be careful on your own.

And in answer to cutting the reg. pizza before the GF pizza, then not wanting to eat it, just goes to show the lack of understanding of just how sensitive some gluten sensitive people can be. YES, even crumbs can either make some people ill, and will do damage to their system. It is possible to have lesions in the intenstines, that could become cancerous. So, one needs to be VERY careful with even crumbs or cross contamination!

I hope this helps others to understand how sensitive one who needs to be GF, needs to be. And there is a difference between Celiac Sprue, and gluten intolorence, and gluten sensitivity. Degrees that make a difference in just how careful some may need to be.

Oh, and no, they do not charge extra to serve GF foods. For this reason, I try not to ask for anything extra, such as pizza! Just me, as I hate to be a bother, or that different from others. I have been offered GF pasta dishes, on the night pasta is on the reg. menu.

And, what do you mean by "these sorts of people"??? :rolleyes: I am just a regular person, with a dietary need, and I can tell you, no cruiseline wants their guests to be sick! :)

I am astounded at some of responses to the woman who is Gluten-free. They show a total ignorance of implications for those of us afflicted with Celiac disease. Relying on Wikipedia for your medical info shows an inability to use the full resources of the Internet.

For your information, even .1mg of Gluten can elicit a response in Celiac sufferers. Wikipedia probably didn't inform you that Gluten can can cause Hepatiform dermatitis, a painful blistering rash that can last for weeks. It can cause an exfoliation of the villae of the small intestine which can cause malnutrition and significant high incidence of carcinoma of the small bowel. At best ingestion of Gluten will cause diarrhea and flatulance. This disease is not simply an annoyance but a life threatening illness.

That pizza cutter contained enough Gluten to cause a response in any Celiac patient. Living Gluten-free is not a choice for us but a necessary fact of life. Your ignorance and dismissive attitude is abhorrant and despicable.

Celiac disease is also a cross contamination problem. Not just a allergy to wheat.

Wonder if you ever stopped back to read the real facts of what some Gluten Free people go through? Wikipedia is a quick, brief, and somewhat reliable source of information on a subject, it is by no means the last source for facts on anything.

I'll admit I didn't read the review. But like all diseases & allergic conditions, some people have more sensitive systems than others & therefore a heightened reaction to the irritant can certainly be life-threatening in some patients, where it may only be discomforting in others. My John is allergic to 4 of the 5 types of bees & wasps. As in if he doesn't receive medical treatment, I'll be a widow. :rolleyes:

1. This scenario got me wondering....if a passenger has such a heightened sensitivity to any food - nuts, dairy, soy, gluten, anything - and has requested the allergen-free version on-board, how do they know that in the preparation of the dish that no cross-contamination has occurred? The chef could have stirred a pot of pasta & then used the same spoon to stir something else. Or perhaps crushed some nuts for granola & then used the same knife to chop raisins. Unless you or family actually prepare the food, how do you really know? I guess it's the same way in any restaurant. :confused:

2. How much? Ever hear of peanut allergies in children? Some are so sensitive that just touching a peanut will send the kid into anaphylactic shock (look it up). :( And "these sorts of people"? Are you kidding? What does it matter to you, anyway? The fare we pay as passengers includes room & board (meals). If we choose to eat in the specialty restaurants, then we pay extra. "These sorts of people" are only wanting to eat - what they've paid for, same as you.

A very dear friend has celiac. He always asks for the next day's menus at dinner & works out his food plan with the dining steward & area captain. So far it's been no muss no fuss. But he's a honey-type. Not an ounce of vinegar in him. :D

How much gluten could possibly have still been on the pizza cutter to warrant throwing out a perfectly good pizza? Does HALcharge these sorts of people more than the rest of us, and if not, why not?

WOW!!!

Archie Bunker isn't dead after all.

------------------------------------

As for:

September 12th, 2011 07:17 PMbungie jumperceliacs disease

OP made no mention of explaining to anyone that Celiac disease is a alergic reaction to flour products so maybe that would have been something they might have understood sorry for the double post

It is their job to understand these things.

They get dozens with this medical issue on every cruise.

It is much more common than most realize.

They should not have to be educated on this issue each time it comes up.

And it isn't just flour. I certainly would not expect every lay person to understand all of this. However I would expect dining room staff to (and I think most do on cruise lines finally).

Is it OK to use a knife with peanut butter on it to cut some bread for someone with a peanut allergy?

Hmmmmmmmmmm...Maybe it is. Then we would no longer have to deal with "these sorts of people"!!!

I am so sorry you had such a difficult time getting gluten free food on your cruise. I do hope you write a letter to someone in Seattle to explain your experience. It is obvious the Westerdam did not put its staff through the proper training.

I have two cousins with Celiac and it is imperative they eat gluten free with no cross contamination. I really feel for anyone with Celiac Disease because foods that you would not think have gluten, very well might. I know I thought I made a gluten free salad one day, but the Dannon Vanilla Yoghurt was not gluten free. Had I used Dannon Plain Yoghurt it would have been okay. You just don't know where gluten can be hiding.

We too really enjoyed the Pinnacle for dinner. My DH said his filet was the best he had ever had.

I am glad you still had a great cruise. Just so sorry you had such a difficult time getting your gluten free diet accomodated.

Archived