Azamara or Celebrity- our September 2011 assessment

uktog

As Celebrity Elite cruisers we have had many opportunities to check out the product. We have also cruised a few times with Azamara – our last cruise was with them and was one of the best ever. Our previous experiences with Solstice class ships had been good but not exceptional and we had issues with the behaviour of fellow passengers on our last cruise out of Southampton. It was therefore with some concerns that, after a big debate of should we switch our booking to Azamara our conclusion being that we stick to what we commit to, we travelled to Southampton to join the Eclipse at Southampton for a 16 night cruise.

In this review (will also post on review board shortly) we will pick up on how we found Celebrity 2011 vs Celebrity 2010 and also our comparisons of Azamara and Celebrity – thus the reason we are posting this on both the Celebrity and Azamara boards.

Embarkation

Southampton remains a very well organised port and one that it is easy to embark from particularly given that the car parking included with the cruise fare is just across the road and you drop all your luggage off before parking the car. As an aside, on our return we noticed the AA Battery team had 2 vans in the car park and were helping several guests who were having starting issues, mostly Mercedes cars – not sure why they had the issues as most had recent plates on their cars. Good though to know help appears to be readily at hand.

Embarkation was quick and efficient, the only difference between X and Azamara is that Azamara takes your carryons to your room once you have boarded if you wish leaving you very unencumbered prior to the announcement that the rooms are ready – they had predicted 1330 but the call came through about 1315. As always our priority luggage came up much later than ordinary luggage, no idea why but happens every time!!!!

Accommodation and cabin service

We were originally booked in Aqua but had taken the opportunity with a price drop to go for a suite guarantee which resulted in an S2 on Deck 12. Our previous experiences on cruises have always been in suites. The X suite is certainly larger, the balcony has the glass front and is bigger and the bathroom is more modern. Storage is about the same in both ships. Our concerns about the overhang were unfounded and we often enjoyed sun on the balcony. The noise on Deck 12 was less than we suffered in the Royal Suite on Deck 11 last year.

There is however a big difference in service, both from Azamara and previous X trips. The butler and room team were much less engaged and never seemed able to recognise or remember our needs (i.e. we were always out of our room at breakfast at 0800 for at least an hour yet we were often still chasing to get the room services at 1200) – Azamara butlers are far better at anticipating your needs.

Afternoon tea has been seriously dumbed down – no longer the nice cart and box of teas for you to chose from. Butler comes along with a few sandwiches and cakes on white dining plates on a small trolley covered by a standard dining room plate dome – selection much reduced and he only brought two varieties of tea. No big issue as we tended to go to Al Bacio if we wanted tea and cakes where the quality was far far superior to what was being offered by the butler and service was charming.

After Day 2 we never had any savouries left, we were advised we had to be in the room to have them, again Azamara always left us some. Our butler made it very clear at the outset if we wanted hot food for breakfast, he would suggest we went to Blu as it was difficult for him to keep food hot. Never had that before, we did however prefer the Blu breakfast menu anyway so he thought we followed his advice. On the one day we asked the butler to get us a continental breakfast he was flustered and got most of the order wrong.

We were very disappointed with the Room Service – we had indicated day 4 we would be returning at 1330 and wished the boarding bottle of sparkling wine chilled for then and we would also like lunch. Anyway for other reasons, we went back to the room at 1100 and the bottle was already being chilled so at 1330 we had a nice liquid ice bucket and floating bottle label – rang butler number at 1330 to ask could we arrange some sandwiches and the butler who picked up the call (not our butler) said – You need to ring room service not me. Did not argue (we are maybe too easy going at times) and after letting the room service number ring out for 10 minutes we were cut off unanswered. So as not to spoil things I just went upstairs and got sandwiches made from Oceanview (they are excellent) and we enjoyed our lunch. Never before have we had this kind of response from a butler where we have indicated up front we would like something at a time in advance – indeed on Azamara, the butler would have left dining room menus in the room and would have preset a lovely table on the balcony awaiting our return. Our butler did apologise later that day quickly blaming someone else (always his approach) again, we felt the butlers on X are now more focussed on getting and keeping a good name for themselves even at the expense of their colleagues than providing service based on what you need (these two can of course be achieved!) – with Azamara you feel you are the person that matters all the time.

Food

The food in Blu was outstanding – that is the only word to use, and the service particularly from Vladimar and Slobodan (Mgr/Maitre D) and every member of staff is excellent. If I could have bottled what keeps Nelson and Natasha so cheerful day and night I would be onto a winner. Certainly Blu is a notch above Discoveries in Azamara though that reaction may be due to the fact we liked the smaller, quieter dining room. Every meal – breakfast and dinner – was fantastic, we never had a meal that was not 100% perfect.

We dined in all the specialities (3 times in Murano, 2 in Tuscan and 1 Qsine) Our conclusion, Murano is still just edging Prime C/Aqualina, Tuscan is on a par and Qsine does not work for us. We did not enjoy it last year but decided to give it another go this year. We were able to manage the amount of food the waiter was bringing which made it a less “overloading” experience, however the waiter was far too keen to still keep pushing us on food, ignoring allergy information he had been given and clearly thought he was the most important part of the evening. Food was nicely cooked, but not worth spending the same as Murano on it for us though I know for others it was the highlight of their cruise.

Drinks Service

Perhaps surprisingly, it is easier to get drinks during the day on Azamara, even thought the wines and sodas are free than on X when we are paying – or am I making that comment because the staff knew we had a prepaid package. I do not think so as many others commented the same. We began to joke that we must have packed our Harry Potter Invisibility cloaks at the end! Service certainly seemed to tail off around the pool and in Oceanview second week. However, service in Michaels Club and from our wine waiter in Blu was first class so whilst Azamara remains ahead if the pool/cafe service had been a little better it could have been a draw .

Ambience and Entertainment

Azamara wins hands down here – this may surprise some. Problem this year on X and again more noticeable in the second week was the incessant loud background music. It was trying to make all the areas hip hop such that we gave up on the Martini and Molecular Bars in favour Michaels. Headline acts in the shows were very samey – comedians or impressionists who also sang. We avoided the hypnotist having been so unimpressed by him last year, the juggler was OK but nothing special. We did enjoy Riptides Accapello group, the girls’ string trio and the Celebrity Orchestra and thought the concerts on the lawn were brilliant.

Chairhogs were out in force but the staff were clearly trying to address this issue – too bad that guests were concentrating on getting one step ahead of the staff by removing the “time chair found vacant” stickers from chairs so that the staff were never catching the real culprits though we all could see who they were. Azamara also had chairhogs, far fewer and with the chairs further apart does give a better lounging experience.

Officers were visible, given the size of the ship and the number of passengers I thought they did a good job, though we heard others disagree. It was nice to see pairs of officers going round the lounges at night to get to know passengers. There was a nice mix of officers v guests activities and the hotel director Bernhard’s willingness to be the butt of pool volley jokes twice (once fully clothed as a “late sub”) went down well with many guests.

Shore Excursions

In general, the quality of the Celebrity excursions seems to have improved, though you still have a larger number of guests per trip than on Azamara. However, we do our research fully before we go and we found that paid off, we only chose excursions in a few ports and felt the knowledge of some of the Shore excursion staff was not as good as it could have been. However, this was counter balanced by the most knowledgeable and charming concierge on board Paul, who outshone anyone we have ever had before and really knew his ports – certainly his responses to any of our questions were spot on.

Captains Club vs Azamara Club

Hard to differentiate. Again, we had another delightful hostess Jonette who was so charming and tried to get to know all her guests. Elite hours worked well, though we spotted the Bar Manager often instructing staff to remove the menus at least 20 mins before the end of time and he was watching out for more than one set of drinks being on the table. However, the wait staff were excellent and had the knack of knowing when his back was turned. We did not, unlike last year, see the Elite privilege being abused and no one had massive tables full of drinks, often though just around 7 we might have the one we were drinking and one other.

Coupons and perks do remain better on Azamara for us though we recognise the value that has to be attached to the Elite drinks. We did have issues being charged for laundry when we had handed over coupons but this was quickly corrected – again I think this was as a result of an error by our room team and not the laundry.

Conclusion

Despite the good not excellent service by the room team (if we had been first time cruisers and not known different maybe we could have said they were excellent) we have to rank this as an excellent cruise and to say how good the food was. No evidence of declining standards here – indeed it was better than last year.

Azamara or Celebrity – well I am not sure I can answer that as each is now so different. What I would say is that if Celebrity can turn in performances like we saw on this trip as opposed to last year and not cost cut any more (yes we can see where you have cut the corners and we will be watching closely!) they will stay firmly in the frame if the itinerary and the price is right. And with 2 more Azamara and 2 more Celebrity cruises booked we will be teetering on the fence for a little longer!!!!

Very happy to answer any questions or clarlify anything written here

UKtog, This is one of the best reviews I have ever read. We took one Azamara cruise last year, and two Celebrity (one on Century and one on Eclipse), plus a cruise on Holland America Line, so I was anxious to read your review.

We loved Blu dining on Eclipse, but ate many nights in Prime C on Azamara last year. Since we now have to pay for the dining room venue on Azamara, that won't happen as my DH does not want to pay extra for dining (especially after walking out of Tuscan Grille where the food was not edible it was so bad), as he sees little differance in the food quality.

And, I agree that the entertainment on Celebrity is mostly the same, comedians or impressionists, or dancers who sing.

Ok, so what about the pricing difference? If we pay more, our expectations are higher. Celebrity cruises overall have become a very economical vacation for the most part. Azamara pricing is all over the place, and well, Holland America Line is more expensive than both RCCL brands (at least on the unique itineraries that we pick). On the cruises we are looking at for 2012, Azamara is at least 3 x Celebrity, so it is hard not to at least consider Celebrity for the fact we could take more vacations.

Hi Uktog !

Thanks for your wonderful comparison. I agree with your comments, particularly the decline in overall service with Celebrity, and the constant loud banging music in many public areas. We experienced the same music issues on Constellation in April of this year, and I found myself living on tylenol for much of the Cruise. I heard nothing but complaints from other Guests about it, and despite reporting it several times to Guest relations, it never changed throughout the 14 night Cruise. I can only presume this was Miami dictated. There's little doubt Celebrity is trying to transform themselves into a younger demographic. From a business standpoint, I can understand the basic premise, but I strongly feel they should not lose sight of their middle-age and senior Guests, most of whom made Celebrity what they are today.

As for service, I've repeatedly written on the Celebrity forum from the onset of the Solstice Class... that I was concerned if service would decline, with 5 new ships coming. This concern proved to be spot on. While I feel that service is good, it's not nearly at the levels of a few years ago. There are many rough spots, and too many Crew that seemed to have minimal training. Hopefully, it will improve over time.

While we often see the question of - should you spend more for Azamara, it's a fair question. With that said, as for the Cruise experience, it's not comparing Apples to Apples. The subject of price, and what line is the best fit, is a personal choice.

Thanks again for your fantastic comparison.

While we often see the question of - should you spend more for Azamara, it's a fair question. With that said, as for the Cruise experience, it's not comparing Apples to Apples. The subject of price, and what line is the best fit, is a personal choice.

quote]

I agree on that. How can you compare a ship with 650 passengers (and Azamara apparently has not been full) to a ship with 3,000 passengers. You can't. Even if comparing staterooms, you still have cabin stewards and crews with so many more passengers they need to remember, which is the likely reason UKtog found crew who could not remember their requests on Celebrity.

Thanks for your kind comments. I think you have also hit the nail on the head for us, how much extra will we be prepared to pay for Azamara -a question I am sure Head Office is trying to guess as well!!

I did not put in comparisons that would be unfair because of size, but one area is tendering and whilst the crew did their best on Eclipse (tendering having been delayed because of thunderstorms) that was still an apples and pears situation and I think for us to keep Celebrity in the frame, there would need to be no tender ports that matter to us (ie if there are, they need to be places we are not rushed to get off at)

I think it is interesting that on the X board, there are also comments about service issues between Solstice and Millenium class ships which may also add to this size is compromising quality debate.

Time will tell and as I say, the next two trips are on Azamara

"Problem this year on X and again more noticeable in the second week was the incessant loud background music. It was trying to make all the areas hip hop such that we gave up on the Martini and Molecular Bars in favour Michaels."

Hi uktog,

My husband and I were with you on the Panama Canal cruise earlier this year.

Your review has convinced us that Celebrity would not be for us. The loud music would be a dealbreaker. So we'll stay with Azamara and other small, quieter ships.

Thanks so much for your input. It kept us from making a bit mistake.

uktog, thanks for a really interesting and well written comparison between Azamara and Celebrity.

I have been on both lines this year too and would say that while I enjoy Celebrity.....Azamara wins hands down for me every time. I can't wait until October 8th when I am back on Quest. :)

As a sigle traveller, having done both Celebrity Solstice and Azamara Journey I would vote hands down for Azamara - more intimate, and more chance to meet other singles, and couples at group tables. Far more personal service - I had club service on Celebrity, but did not find that "special", did not have club service on Azamara, but did not miss it!!

Looking forward to next Az cruise in Jan.

Hi UKtog, thank you for your great review. I have been on Eclipse in AQ and so could I could identify with many of the things you said. One thing though, you said you were in an S2 suite. I thought you could only eat in Blu if you were Aquaclass or pay a supplement if you were in a suite. Can you confirm. Many thanks. Gill

PS. It is still Azamara for me. I found the Eclipse far too big.

Yes you are correct, we were in Blu but there is a supplement. Our trip also convinced us that if on Celebrity it will be Aquaclass only in future, extra space is nice but butler is not needed if it is likely to be poor and Blu is more important. On Azamara, as the butlers do add value and there is the restuarant perk we will be staying in suites

Hello UKTog, thank you for your excellent review! We will be Elite class (first time) on the Connie this fall and in a suite next spring on Azamara (our first Aza cruise) so we were quite interested in your comments. Although we have not experienced Solstice class, we agree that the noise level on the Millenium class has been a growing concern and hope someone at the executive level will take a serious look at this.

So, here are a few questions:

1. During the Elite happy hour, are there choices outside of wine and beer?

2. Did you hear any comments about the drink packages on Azamara for liquor?

3. My partner also wishes to know whether Elite status on Celebrity in any way transfers to the Azamara ships.

Thanks so much,

Nancy

So, here are a few questions:

1. During the Elite happy hour, are there choices outside of wine and beer?

2. Did you hear any comments about the drink packages on Azamara for liquor?

3. My partner also wishes to know whether Elite status on Celebrity in any way transfers to the Azamara ships.

Thanks so much,

Nancy

I. Sorry but I had the drinks package so can't answer that one

2. All wines are free at meal times on Azamara and one of the suite perks is two bottles of liquor of your choice in your cabin. Many believe the drinks package is not worth while.

3. At present if you are Elite on Celebrity you will automatically be the equivalent top level on Azamara (sorry, I must be brain dead because I can't think of the name of the level). There are some very nice perks with this including internet time, laundry and pressing. Usually when I look through the coupon booklet I discard it but on AZ it is really worthwhile.

Hope that helps

Gilly

On Celebrity the Elite hour (actually 2 hours) menu was quite extensive - you could have wine, sparking wine, gin, vodka, whisky, small Apple Martini or Cosmopolitan, sodas, beer - I forget the whole list but there was about 12 items on it.

We had the drinks package on Celebrity but as most of our expenditure related to lunch and evening wines, I do not believe it would be good value for us on Azamara. Bear in mind on Azamara you are also allowed to take your own drink on board as well as the two bottles being waiting for you if you are in a suite.

On the assumption you will be at the top level on the Club status you should also receive a bottle of sparkling wine early on in the cruise from the Captain

Hello UKtog,

I found your comments very interesting.

This year I have had two weeks on Equinox (transatlantic) and a back to back on Azamara (three weeks)

The service and ambience on Equinox was the best I have ever experienced on any cruise ship and having already booked our Azamara cruise said that it could only be equalled not bettered.

As usual everything on Azamara was lovely but the service level (surprisingly) was just that bit lower than X.

Maybe we were just lucky but with the huge differentials in price at this time consider Celebrity to be better value for money particularly now that the benefits for Elite passengers are so good.

We travel on Solstice next month - it will be interesting to compare their offering with Equinox's

However, whichever line we select, I consider us lucky to be able to travel on either of them.

Ciao

Hazel

On the assumption you will be at the top level on the Club status you should also receive a bottle of sparkling wine early on in the cruise from the Captain

I believe you get the bottle of sparkling wine for being middle tier. Has that changed?

No it has not, I was just contextualising my response to the situation of the enquirer sorry if that is not clear, middle tier does also get it.

Ok. Thanks. I just pulled up the Azamara web site.

"Explorer: 5 - 9 Credits

• Includes all the benefits of the Adventurer level • A bottle of champagne on arrival, compliments of the Captain • Upon reaching this level, a welcome back gift will be sent to your home after your voyage • Private and exclusive cocktail party with Senior Officers and staff • One complimentary bag of laundry (wash) per week • 150 Minutes Free Internet per Voyage • Exclusive club specialty coffee tasting"

Hello UKtog,

I found your comments very interesting.

This year I have had two weeks on Equinox (transatlantic) and a back to back on Azamara (three weeks)

The service and ambience on Equinox was the best I have ever experienced on any cruise ship and having already booked our Azamara cruise said that it could only be equalled not bettered.

As usual everything on Azamara was lovely but the service level (surprisingly) was just that bit lower than X.

Maybe we were just lucky but with the huge differentials in price at this time consider Celebrity to be better value for money particularly now that the benefits for Elite passengers are so good.

We travel on Solstice next month - it will be interesting to compare their offering with Equinox's

However, whichever line we select, I consider us lucky to be able to travel on either of them.

Ciao

Hazel

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Travelled on the Eclipse last year, mainly to avoid flying, and experienced exactly the opposite to you, Hazel.

A typical example on the Eclipse:- A complaint to an officer standing outside the theatre that we had arrived at before the show started to find no seats available for the third time.

Response:- "Tough luck! You'll have to come earlier"

I realised that there was a colossal difference in size between the two ships and put this down to his rude and unhelpful response.

Neither did I see a stateroom attendant on the Eclipse dash 25 yds down the corridor to open my room for me or have the Cruise & Hotel Directors waiting on the dockside each day to say "Good Morning" to me.

It was just no contest and I decided on leaving the Eclipse that cruising with Azamara, and having to fly abroad to pick up the ship far outweighed the advantage of sailing out of Soton on the Eclipse type of ship.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently returned from my first Azamara cruise, and I was on two Celebrity cruises this year (20 Celebrity cruises in total, more or less) so I wanted to add my thoughts. At the outset, I had a great time on all three cruises. I wanted to love Azamara - I need a new cruising home and Azamara seemed to fit the bill (right size, no formal nights). Unfortunately, I am not sure that Azamara is the perfect fit. Let me also add that I am not a foodie or a big drinker, and I paid about the same price per night in a regular balcony room that I paid for a Royal Suite on the Eclipse.

My number one impression from Azamara is that as a brand they have a huge heart, and they have somehow translated filling the ship and making a profit to genuinely caring about their passsengers. I saw it in Bill's posts here before I left, and I saw it every single day on the ship. Nearly every crew member or officer who saw a problem took ownership to fix it, fix it right and fix it fast. In my 20 years of cruising I have never seen that before, especially given the transient nature of a cruise passenger. I found it not only professional but actually touching. I haven't seen that culture on Celebrity, and I haven't seen it on Crystal either (more than 50 days on board over the last few years).

That's the good news. The bad news is that there were too many instances where the crew had to fix things or make them right. We had only one dinner where both the food and service was great. One night we waited an hour for the first course. When I couldn't find our waitress I actually stood up and went to the person at the reception desk; unbelievably, at the end of the meal this person said to me that the delay was caused because I orderedthe goat cheese soufle (a menu). Other mishaps ended better. When I mentioned to the Hotel Director (who I knew from Crystal) that there was no bread at all on the dinner buffet/party on deck, within a few minutes he had found my table (upstairs!) and presented me with a selection of bread. They shouldn't run out of something so basic, but the response was well done. Another night I couldn't get our water or wine glasses refilled. The head waiter came over with a big smile and asked how everything was. One look at the table of 12 empty glasses would have given her the answer.

While this wouldn't bug must people, the tiles around the pool are cracked, missing in spots and moldy. I was disappointed that the tote bag was of cheap vinyl and ugly; Celebrity's bags in the suite category are very nice. Beach towels were frayed and should be thrown out. The white coverings on the pool lounge chairs are not replaced as people come and go throughout the day, so you need to cover them with a clean towel. And this is my first cruise where there was no sail-away party on the first day. But Russ, the cruise director was fantastic - best of any of my cruises. And as I have mentioned previously, I had two excursions canceled without notice or warning the night before the port. The Captain was pretty much missing - word was he had friends on board (I don't know if that was true) but he should make it to his own party. Oh yes, the TV selection was terrible - every cruise line that I have been on in the last five years does better.

So, some things which didn't hit the mark for me. Maybe my expectations were too high. Clearly, the cruise-newbies in my group didn't see many of the things that I have mentioned, although they saw some (uneven food and service, pool needing work). I heard some of the dry-dock plans, but that's a while away, and some of these items should be addressed sooner. I also heard some talk about a new-build that sounds very exciting.

A good cruise. Nobody should read this and say "oh no, did I make a mistake?" You will likely have a good cruise too.

I have also enjoyed many cruises on Celebrity and Azamara. Both are good. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either line. I prefer Azamara for the smaller more casual atmosphere. However, with so few ships, the itineraries are quite limited. Celebrity sails in more places that I would like to visit. Celebrity has more activities and entertainment. Azamara has better food and service. I wish that they could blend and take the best features of both lines. My dream ship blending the 2 lines would have:

1. Celebrity cabins. with bigger bathrooms

2. Azamara toiletries and towels

3. Azamara pool side chaises

4. Celebrity private veranda open all the way to the deck

5. Azamara food in MDR and specialty

6. Celebrity buffet breakfast and lunch

7. Azamara buffet with stations at dinner and pool side grill

8. Movie theater like the m-class Celebrity ships

9. T-pool like the Celebrity m-class ships

10. Inside pools on Celebrity

11. Aqua spa food on celebrity

12. Elite lounge on Celebrity

13. Included coffees, wine, and gratuities on Azamara

14. Hotel directors that mingle with the guests on both

15. Free shuttles on Azamara

16. Spa services at affordable prices...not just specials on some days

17. Self service laundry on Azamara

18. Shops that sell essential stuff for people who lost luggage or forgot stuff

19. Internet access included in each cabin

20. Midnight buffet on a few nights...I miss them

I have also enjoyed many cruises on Celebrity and Azamara. Both are good. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either line. I prefer Azamara for the smaller more casual atmosphere. However, with so few ships, the itineraries are quite limited. Celebrity sails in more places that I would like to visit. Celebrity has more activities and entertainment. Azamara has better food and service. I wish that they could blend and take the best features of both lines. My dream ship blending the 2 lines would have:

1. Celebrity cabins. with bigger bathrooms (HAL bigger than both)

2. Azamara toiletries and towels (HAL Elemis in all cabins)

3. Azamara pool side chaises

4. Celebrity private veranda open all the way to the deck

5. Azamara food in MDR and specialty (HAL Pinnacle similar to Prime C)

6. Celebrity buffet breakfast and lunch (HAL Has both)

7. Azamara buffet with stations at dinner and pool side grill (On Maasdam this summer there were many differant poolside stations on various nights, with one serving huge Alaskian King crab legs)

10. Inside pools on Celebrity (HAL has 2 pools on most ships with a retractable roof on their main lido pool, so it is good in all weather)

14. Hotel directors that mingle with the guests on both (no problem and the Hotel Directors always show up at the CC gathering.)

17. Self service laundry on Azamara (HAL S class ships have these, but it is also $20.00 per bag if you want someone else to do your laundry)

20. Midnight buffet on a few nights...I miss them (HAL has these)

I actually find most of what you mention on your wish list on the Holland America Line S class ships such as Maasdam (approx 1,200 pasengers).

My understanding is that Oceania's new builds are about this size ship, so if Azamara every did have a new build it would likely be larger in the 1,200 passenger range.

I realize almost everyone on the Azamara board also cruises on Celebrity, not HAL, but I actually find the experiance on HAL much closer to Azamara than Celebrity. HAL also has the wrap around teak promenade with traditional teak lounge chairs. They also never tried to sell us anything on our last trip. Their itineraries are superior to Celebrity, so we are alternating mostly between Azamara and HAL

We also prefer the no formal nights on Azamara.

Archived