Self-Disembarkation in FLL

bcd2010

On our last cruise, we self-disembarked in San Diego and really like this option. Although we could handle our luggage, we were surprised that we had to go down one level to exit the terminal. There were stairs and an elevator - the elevator had a long line and so few people could use it at once because, of course, they had all their luggage with them.

For anyone who has self-disembarked in Fort Lauderdale, is the situation different? That is, will we disembark and exit on the same level, or is there more than one elevator?

There are a couple of different terminals in Ft Lauderdale and I don't remember all the details for each one but if my memory is correct you're going to have to go down one level to get through Customs et al and out to the street. There are elevators in the terminals but I only remember one in each. We don't self-disembark so we just ride the escalator down to the main floor, grab our luggage, go through Customs, and out to the taxi stand.

I too seem to recall one elevator to get down one level to customs. For those times we got off the ship early, it was not very crowded and we were out the door in about 10 minutes. Once, however, when we left after 9, it took us an hour to get through customs. In each case, however, there was no or little wait for the one elevator as most people had checked in their luggage and they were taking the escalators to meet their luggage.

Depends which terminal you dock at but some, indeed, have escalator and elevator. I echo John by adding they often will direct you away from the escalator if you have luggage. We have roll aboard carryons and sometimes they hedge a bit about letting us roll typical airline roll aboard onto the escalator.

You will probably be at pier 26 -- once in a great while a HAL ship has to use another pier.

But no matter what pier you end up at -- you always have to go down either stairs, escalator or an elevator.

None of the elevators are large. We have been at several different terminals in Ft Lauderdale over the years -- 1 elevator. And they do not hold many people with luggage.

Pier 26 also has only 1 escalator -- and only one set of stairs.

BUT - most times they won't let you use the escalator if you're self-disembarking with large bags...

We have roll aboard carryons and sometimes they hedge a bit about letting us roll typical airline roll aboard onto the escalator.

Actually, I understand this. Under the best of circumstances it seems like there's always someone who stops at the bottom or top of an esclator while people behind them keep moving - it would be umpteen times worse with many/all others carrying luggage. Also, it can be cumbersome to manipulate bags on an escalator. So we'll handle it like we did in SD (unless the elevator looks like an option) - one of us will stay at either end of the stairs until all bags are down - we'll manage!

When we self-disembark in FLL, we each have one 22" roller bag and a small carry on bag attached to it. We use the escalators with no problem.

Anytime we have our larger luggage, we do not self-disembark as it is too dangerous. Although many people do, and although I understand they are anxious to get off, I think they are not wise to do it with 2 large bags, and several carry ons per person. Plus, they hold up the whole process and they really cannot manage that type of luggage. And to top it off, these folks generally do not have their cruise card, customs form, etc. which holds up everything as they rummage through their carry ons, purses, etc. My advice if you have lots of luggage, don't self-disembark.

to the left , as I recall of the escallators

Did this in November... cabin to on the shuttle to the airport..17min total elapsed time in 35 min was in...in the rental car at the airport....

ALways will self check our.... we use samponsite sillouett 29" rollies... no effort... what a dream, no crowds, no find the luggage, no wait in line for customs...

<snip>

Plus, they hold up the whole process and they really cannot manage that type of luggage. And to top it off, these folks generally do not have their cruise card, customs form, etc. which holds up everything as they rummage through their carry ons, purses, etc. My advice if you have lots of luggage, don't self-disembark.

Good advice.

PLEASE, use common sense and common courtesy. Think of those around you and decide if you are good candidate for self-debark without endangering or impeding those around you.

Thanks.

This is all good info - think we will do the self disembark since our flight is at 1 p.m. and our luggage is being shipped so not too much to carry.

one question though - what is the cost of a taxi from the pier to the airport? We could go with the HAL bus but often find that we have to wait quite a while for it to fill and it cuts the time for checking in and getting through security.

Thanks kindly!

This is all good info - think we will do the self disembark since our flight is at 1 p.m. and our luggage is being shipped so not too much to carry.

one question though - what is the cost of a taxi from the pier to the airport? We could go with the HAL bus but often find that we have to wait quite a while for it to fill and it cuts the time for checking in and getting through security.

Thanks kindly!

About $16 to $20 with tip.

A couple of days before the end of the cruise we received promotional material in our cabin about the luggage direct service, $20/pp. My wife is always watching our pennies, that's why I have dollars to splurge with. I convinced her to try the service. They picked up our luggage outside our cabin door the night before and we claimed our bags at the carousel in Denver. Call me self indulgent, it was such an easy way to go. I don't know if I would use the service from Denver to the ship. I would be too anxious about our bags not making to the ship.

Archived