my excursion reveiw on carnival not published

kbmeow

Please forgive my inexperience with ruins, but I'm not sure why the OP is so certain the operator lied. I've seen pictures of Coba and it looks really steep, and I've slipped on wet stones before so I imagine the ones there that have been sitting for centuries with grass and moss growing on them are probably extremely slippery and dangerous when wet. If Tulum doesn't allow climbing then it would make sense that it wouldn't have the same issue with wetness as Coba, so its tours would still go ahead if Coba's couldn't. If it was the case that the ruins were slippery and dangerous, I think the sad truth is that if they allowed people to go and just told them that they couldn't climb, there would be lots who figured the warning was for everyone except them.

As I said, I'm speaking from inexperience here. I've never been to Coba, I've only seen pictures. I have most definitely slipped on wet stones, though... ouch. I also worked at a ski resort once when I was younger and just that season there were over a half a dozen deaths at area ski resorts because people chose to ski out of bounds. So, while I have no experience with ruins per se, I do know how slippery and dangerous wet rocks can be, and how prone humans are to break rules even when they are there to prevent injury or worse.

After all that I guess I'm just wondering if it isn't possible the excursion was legitimately cancelled for safety reasons due to wetness...

I should add that even if there was no lying, I think the delay in announcing the cancellation was unacceptable, and I'd want an apology too.

Unfortunately they have the right to cancel at anytime for any reason, especially if it involves safety concerns. You say you think they cancelled because of not enough people but maybe it was something else. You are basing your assumptions on what you "think" happened which may or may not be true. The roads leading there may have been flooded or the buses themselves not working properly. I'm sorry you were stuck on a boat for 30-45 min for an excursion that did not go. That really decreases your time and options in port. Perhaps write a letter with your concerns to the cruiseline and maybe you will get a better response from them directly.

Well shoot..I enjoy a good popcorn thread as anyone, so I'll chime in with my "old maids". First, OP, I'm glad you got a refund. Sorry that the GS person was not customer care savvy. That is an error on th epart of Carnival, not the tour company.

As far as the tour guide lying, though, if your'e referring to the marketing of "rain or shine" and then the seemingly switcheroo of Tulum for Coba, the guide or the guide firm didn't lie. They weren't wholy ethical either. They could have taken the head count before the ferry ride and made the announcement then. But most likely they were busy getting 3-4 tours organized and only belatedly realized they shortage of people they needed. Poor business operation maybe but not lying or pulling a bait n switch. And it could be that others had signed up for Coba on your ship or other ships in port and simply did not show up. Excursions do get cancelled for lack of people showing up.

Nevertheless, your experience is one of the reasons many cruisers use private tour operators with good reps for excursions rather the ship sponsored ones. Thanks for sharing your experience and posting your "review" for us to see.

Well shoot..I enjoy a good popcorn thread as anyone, so I'll chime in with my "old maids". First, OP, I'm glad you got a refund. Sorry that the GS person was not customer care savvy. That is an error on th epart of Carnival, not the tour company.

As far as the tour guide lying, though, if your'e referring to the marketing of "rain or shine" and then the seemingly switcheroo of Tulum for Coba, the guide or the guide firm didn't lie. They weren't wholy ethical either. They could have taken the head count before the ferry ride and made the announcement then. But most likely they were busy getting 3-4 tours organized and only belatedly realized they shortage of people they needed. Poor business operation maybe but not lying or pulling a bait n switch. And it could be that others had signed up for Coba on your ship or other ships in port and simply did not show up. Excursions do get cancelled for lack of people showing up.

Nevertheless, your experience is one of the reasons many cruisers use private tour operators with good reps for excursions rather the ship sponsored ones. Thanks for sharing your experience and posting your "review" for us to see.

I'll second that!!!!

Honestly, your best bet is to calm yourself down and write a courteous letter to Carnival corporate guest relations and cc: as many higherups that you can. You'd be surprised at the response you will get from them. We had a minor issue on an excursion a few years ago; afterwards I stopped at the excursion desk to inform them of what happened so that the cruise line could take steps to rectify any future issues with the tour operator. They apologized up and down and sideways and refunded us 25% of the excursion price - although there was no reason for them to do so. Once we got home, I wrote a letter complimenting the overall cruise experience, mentioned a few crew members that were outstanding, and also pointed out (towards the end of the letter) the issue we had with the tour operator and how it was handled by crew after we returned to the ship. I emailed the letter to guest relations and one or two VPs. I thought nothing of it until I received a response a few weeks later thanking me for the input on the excursion along with comments on my crew compliments, so I know it wasn't a form letter. Someone took the time to read it and write a response.

Their letter was also cc'd to the hotel staff on the ship of our upcoming cruise. On that cruise, we got a bottle of wine at dinner compliments of our maitre'd, canapes in the room twice, a plate of chocolate covered strawberries on embarkation, an invitation to tour the bridge, an invite to a special captain's cocktail party with about 20 guests, and I honestly don't remember what else. And no, we weren't (and still aren't) platinum cruisers...it was only our 3rd cruise.

I'm not saying that they will give you anything, but getting the acknowledgement from corporate would have been enough for me. The rest was a total shock.

Of course, I don't know how things have changed within the corporation since then......but good luck.

She said she wanted an apology. To apologize is to admit to having done something wrong or party to having caused a wrongful act or intention by a second party. This is not something a corporation is willing to do. It sets them up for a continuous assault from unhappy clients. They played it safe by simply refunding her the money. They left out the human aspect. Just my humble opinion.

I can't imagine that someone from GSD just looked them in the face, handed them an updated statement with the $$ refunded, and just said, "have a nice day". I mean, she said that's what happened...but... that just shocks me.

They should be getting an apology from the tour operator - they're the ones who were in charge. And again, I can't imagine them saying, "get off the bus, have a nice day." with no "I'm sorry".

I can't imagine that someone from GSD just looked them in the face, handed them an updated statement with the $$ refunded, and just said, "have a nice day". I mean, she said that's what happened...but... that just shocks me.

They should be getting an apology from the tour operator - they're the ones who were in charge. And again, I can't imagine them saying, "get off the bus, have a nice day." with no "I'm sorry".

How can you not imagine that? It happens just about everyday to me.:(

How can you not imagine that? It happens just about everyday to me.:(

are you disappointed with customer service or have something go wrong every day and they just stare at you?

There's a difference between "I'm sorry that we screwed up" and "I'm sorry you're disappointed". I would think they'd at least get the I'm sorry you feel that way.

Please forgive my inexperience with ruins, but I'm not sure why the OP is so certain the operator lied. I've seen pictures of Coba and it looks really steep, and I've slipped on wet stones before so I imagine the ones there that have been sitting for centuries with grass and moss growing on them are probably extremely slippery and dangerous when wet. If Tulum doesn't allow climbing then it would make sense that it wouldn't have the same issue with wetness as Coba, so its tours would still go ahead if Coba's couldn't. If it was the case that the ruins were slippery and dangerous, I think the sad truth is that if they allowed people to go and just told them that they couldn't climb, there would be lots who figured the warning was for everyone except them.

As I said, I'm speaking from inexperience here. I've never been to Coba, I've only seen pictures. I have most definitely slipped on wet stones, though... ouch. I also worked at a ski resort once when I was younger and just that season there were over a half a dozen deaths at area ski resorts because people chose to ski out of bounds. So, while I have no experience with ruins per se, I do know how slippery and dangerous wet rocks can be, and how prone humans are to break rules even when they are there to prevent injury or worse.

After all that I guess I'm just wondering if it isn't possible the excursion was legitimately cancelled for safety reasons due to wetness...

I should add that even if there was no lying, I think the delay in announcing the cancellation was unacceptable, and I'd want an apology too.

I have been to Coba the main temple is very steep. He original said no climbing and we were ok with that. The grounds are huge and you can walk the vast non rock area and see the structures. while I agree on safety,but I also got the weather report... Did not see any rain for days before.

Company's typically won't let their website be used to commit libel against another person or company, it would open them up to a lawsuit. Your use of the term "liar" and "lie" fall within that category. If you say the other company lied to you and Carnival posts it on the website the tour company would have a case against Carnival.

Actually that is my opinion and reviews are all opinion

You got your money back, and Carnival is aware of the issue with that tour operator. Carnival didn't lie to you, the tour operator did. AND you got a full refund. I understand your disappointment, but what else are you expecting, a free cruise?

No, I want someone to be sincere and apologize and stop with the well it's not our fault. Ps I booked threw carnival, so if the tour operator lied he was representing the company I booked threw and paid. So a agent of carnival lied. Although not a direct employee they pay them todo the tours.

Free cruise, funny we never enter to win them because the cruise is the cheapest part of our vacation.

Updated no. I wish it were that easy. They said they would have it posted sometime that night and to check back. And yes it was a have a nice day.

On the tour It was a ferry, I was we are canceling Coba and he was saying stay go to tulum we have extra busses waiting. The operators have English as a second language and maybe do not know that word. But we were one of the first on the ferry and they guy had a conversation Spanish with my husband. So it was never said in either language.

are you disappointed with customer service or have something go wrong every day and they just stare at you?

There's a difference between "I'm sorry that we screwed up" and "I'm sorry you're disappointed". I would think they'd at least get the I'm sorry you feel that way.

Many people everyday do not greet, or thank people . In everyday life

Back to this " I heard the guy get chewed out". So I know I am right. I want a sorry our tour operator mishandled that situation and while I can only go buy the official report I do understand your side and see merit. I am sorry you felt like you were lied to by a representative of this company..

and because I book and pay threw carnival. I hold them as a a representative of carnival because Carnival pays them.

Mind you the rest of the cruise was great. Service was wonderful, everyone was friendly . Snorkeling was pretty good. The underwater camera did great Price matching was easy on the sheridans. I will say watch the price on shirts we were overcharged and I had to have them fix it. I check receipts immediately . Tampa was a easy port. We did self disembark to make sure we made our flight as we were worried about the extra security and we went right threw ( we have passports , but my husband uses his DOT badge as id we tried to make the best of a sucky situation but we feel like we were lied to and angry about that. I came home tanned and with huge feet damn that salt. Although in 2 days I lost 6 pounds. My feet are almost normal. As a whole I am a glass half full girl.

A sincere apology going a long way. A lot of people now lack basic manners

I would just like to throw out that 3 of us had a tour booked through Carnival. We were scheduled on the first bus and it left before everyone was off the ship. Our son ended up going with our friends on the second bus. Sad situation at the time, but we've gotten many laughs over it since, was I couldn't find my husband. BEFORE that, and while I was making sure our son could get on the 2nd bus, the Carnival rep assured me if I didn't go they would issue a refund. Carnival ended up refunding 2 people, my husband and me.

Maybe the ruin site had floods/dangerous conditions in and around it due to hurricane Irene passing thru/nearby? Heck - we still have pools of water around here, 2 weeks later! So the weather may have been good for days before you arrived, but roads, etc. may still have been closed!

[quote name='kbmeow']Actually that is my opinion and reviews are all opinion[/quote]

It's a very fine line and most company's won't chance it (as I understand it, and I'm not an attorney, opinion expressed as fact is in most cases actionable). I haven't read the terms and conditions for posting reviews but I'd be willing to bet that this was why your review wasn't published.

[quote name='kbmeow']I have been to Coba the main temple is very steep. He original said no climbing and we were ok with that. The grounds are huge and you can walk the vast non rock area and see the structures. while I agree on safety,but I also got the weather report... Did not see any rain for days before.[/quote]

Thanks, the only pictures I could find were of the pyramid, so it seemed plausible.

As I said, regardless of the reason, it seems clear that they knew the excursion wasn't going and should have told you immediately. I'm glad to see that you didn't let it impact the rest of your holiday. I had an issue with Continental a few years ago and all I wanted was an apology, so I can understand how you're feeling. After a lengthy (too lengthy) correspondence with a person claiming to be the head of their customer service department, I realized that there was no way in hell I was going to get that simple apology, and I resigned myself to it. I agree with Iceleven, though. During my own frustrating experience, that was the only conclusion I could come to - that they were avoiding any language that could be construed as an apology because it could imply fault on their part.

On a lighter note, I know all about the feet... I get it every time. I don't even bother to pack some shoes now... no point because they're not going on by day two. ha ha ha

Please take this post in the nonjudgmental way it is presented.

Not sure if you're using voice-recognition software or not, but consistently you keep writing that you booked THREW Carnival, not THROUGH Carnival. This error is distracting and it takes away from the very valid and legitimate complaint that you have.

I've been to Tulum and it's a very good excursion from a historical perspective, but I wouldn't go back because it's not worth the trip from Cozumel. I HATE that ferry! Making you take that ride is enough to warrant the apology.

[quote name='CanadianTwosome']
On a lighter note, I know all about the feet... I get it every time. I don't even bother to pack some shoes now... no point because they're not going on by day two. ha ha ha[/quote]

Ditto.. I started taking a diuretic 4 weeks prior to the cruise, because I had swelling on a regular basis when I wasn't wearing proper sneakers. But they were working awesome. My feet still ballooned up on the cruise, while taking the diuretic, I even tried taking one in AM and one in PM (don't tell my doctor), and it didn't help at all!

[quote name='StingRaysfan']
I'm willing to bet that they didn't publish your review because you didn't actually go on the excursion. Those reviews are for people that are interested in doing the excursion to know how it works and what people think of the actual activity... not as a complaint forum for the actual tour operator. You definitely have a complaint to Carnival and the excursion company, but I'm not really surprised they didn't publish your reviews....

BTW.. there are some one star reviews posted also for certain excursions....[/quote]

I agree- since your complaint was with a particular tour operator and not regarding the actual tour itself, perhaps that is why it was not published. Carnival can change tour operators at any time so when you give an excursion 1 star, most people are going to be scared away even though the new tour operator may be great...

I'm sorry you didn't get to see Coba. I had an excursion booked through Carnival cancelled at the very last minute (the night before), but if I were actually on the excursion bus/boat ready to go and then they cancelled I would be angry also. Please post a detailed review here at cruise critic and warn fellow cruisers of this unscrupulous tour guide. I hope you get to return to Coba one day...until then take care. :)

[quote name='sparks1093']It's a very fine line and most company's won't chance it (as I understand it, and I'm not an attorney, opinion expressed as fact is in most cases actionable). I haven't read the terms and conditions for posting reviews but I'd be willing to bet that this was why your review wasn't published.[/quote]

It could be considered libel. Or is it slander? I can't remember...one is written and one is verbal. Although there may be a disclaimer on the reviews (you know- the normal legal jargon that says the opinions expressed here are of the poster and are in no way indicitive of the views of Carnival Corp...yadda yadda yadda...)

[quote name='Periwinkle19']Please take this post in the nonjudgmental way it is presented.

Not sure if you're using voice-recognition software or not, but consistently you keep writing that you booked THREW Carnival, not THROUGH Carnival. This error is distracting and it takes away from the very valid and legitimate complaint that you have.

I've been to Tulum and it's a very good excursion from a historical perspective, but I wouldn't go back because it's not worth the trip from Cozumel. I HATE that ferry! Making you take that ride is enough to warrant the apology.[/quote]

Sorry I suck at spelling. I can do match perfect after 10 drinks but spelling is my weakness. Sorry again For a last gasp yes it is historic but the site itself can not hold a candle to most others. Not worth the money they ask to see it.

[quote name='melli_fera']Ditto.. I started taking a diuretic 4 weeks prior to the cruise, because I had swelling on a regular basis when I wasn't wearing proper sneakers. But they were working awesome. My feet still ballooned up on the cruise, while taking the diuretic, I even tried taking one in AM and one in PM (don't tell my doctor), and it didn't help at all![/quote]

I take a diuretic normally everyday. But did not take it on vacation. Aside from breakfast you will find me with a DOD. And the water pill can dehydrate you as can alcohol and throw in sun. that may be dangerous for me. I knew it. But I bloat 10x worse on a ship that if I for get a few days here. I watch salt in everything. I have the same salt shaker we bought 5 years ago moving in. But like I said could be worse.

Archived