Clothing advice for Oct Italy cruising

Lily's Nana

My sister and I will be cruising, late Oct early Nov, from Barcelona to several Italian ports - we are looking for clothing suggestions for this area and this time of year. I have cruised several times, but never The Med so any help will be appreciated. We have of course checked avg temps for the ports but suggestions from those of you that have "been there - done that" would be helpful. We are in our early sixties definitely not t-shirt/short-short young cruisers. Thanks again!

It would be helpful if you could list the ports that you will visit in Italy as there can be a range of temperatures.

In general we have found that you should be prepared to layer clothing as it can be cooler in the early morning and then warm up as the day progresses. But weather does change day to day and year over year. For example, a few years ago we arrived to Venice on a back to back cruise and had three full days in Venice. The first day we arrived it was quite cool and rainy and we wore a sweater and a jacket and we each had an umbrella. By the second day it was cool and rainy in the morning but by afternoon it was just cloudy and late in the day the sun came out. On the last day it was sunny and we wore shorts.

So, in general bring a sweater or a sweat shirt, long sleeve and short sleeve tops, a light jacket and a waterproof jacket, long pants/capris but also shorts, a couple of pairs of walking shoes/athletic shoes and an umbrella.

Keith

Agree with Keith. We are leaving next week for a cruise departing out of Italy. Right now the temps are all showing sun and the low 80's for temps. I suspect it will be cool in the mornings and at night so we will need layers. Also, if you're visiting any holy sites you'll need long pants/skirts and covered shoulders anyway.

If you need to save space in your suitcase I would leave the shorts at home. Late Oct/ early Nov weather can be pleasant but capri type pants do double duty. While still comfortable on warmer days you won't have to worry about whether or not you can go into a church. Some are much more strict than others, no knees or shoulders showing.

We did this cruise many years ago same weeks and the weather was on the warm side, except for Athens which was chilly. We got so used to the warm weather we left our jackets on the ship. Who would have guessed?

I suggest you check the weather a few days before you leave and if necessary adjust a few outfits accordingly.

Take a warm waterproof coat. Italy in October can get very wet and windy - I speak from experience. Hopefully you won't need it. And I wouldn't recommend paying too much attention to weather forecasts days in advance, because they aren't reliable.

Take layers. Read the Alaska board for other possible rainy day layering info.

Went to Rome just before Halloween last year. Nice days, cool evenings pouring rain in the mornings. Dress in layers. Don't necessarily need a warm jacket but a layering jacket. I was too warm with a shirt, pullover, cardigan and rainshell.

Funny story- I was walking around and got overheated. As I was taking off my sweater an Italian man was bundling up, we saw each other and laughed. The Romans seem to bundle up the second the weather changes from summer to fall. Some look like they are going to the snow.

FWIW--Italians do not understand the US HighSchool/College 'uniform' of wearing a sweatshirt and shorts. DD says she always gets the 'look' when she wears this outfit to school. I would think capris fall into this category as well.

We saw a lot of Italian women wearing capris. However, most of them were wearing six inch stilettos with them! Given the time of year you probably won't see any Italians wearing summer type clothing. But don't let that stop you from dressing comfortable. They're going to know you're a tourist anyways.

Archived