Rick Steves article on tourist scams in Europe

CathyCruises

Even if you're strong and healthy, fake it and carry a cane or short walking stick with a strap that wraps around your wrist. Good to poke into a groin or swing at a joint.

:D:p And a striped shirt so that when you get arrested for whacking a 12 year old local you won't stand out too much in jail. ;)

ru15040_fw110174.jpg

My tour guide's husband was arrested and charged with assulting a pickpocket in Spain who had stolen his wallet and handed it off to someone who ran away. He was trying to get the guy to get the wallet back from his friend. The court ruled he had to pay the mugger!!!

:D:p And a striped shirt so that when you get arrested for whacking a 12 year old local you won't stand out too much in jail. ;)

ru15040_fw110174.jpg

I guess this also negates swinging at young gypsies as advised above. I think about putting razor blades, feces laden pins, etc in bags/wallet. I don't take being the victim well. In the end, I suppose I'd simply smile and let the bastards run.

Wow. That hurts. That cost sounds like an SLR which is large. Normally the rats don't fool with something they can't stick in their pockets but there is always the exception.

Yup, it was a brand new Nikon SLR that I had just give DH for Xmas--stolen in February. But luckily it had the smaller lens on it; the expensive zoom lens was back in the hotel room.

And I found that carrying an umbrella doubles as a weapon of sorts--haven't had to use it, but I sure like having it my hand just in case. Even the small collapsible ones could be used to smack an errant hand.

Honestly, it's much better to be proactive (e.g., keep them from stealing anything in the first place) than to try to react to the situation once the wallet/bag/camera is already in someone elses' hands. That rarely ends well.

Just use a money belt or pouch under clothing for your money and credit card(s) and no need to worry. If you must, a small amount of money in a protected pocket can be used for small purchases.

We have traveled extensively. Through the years we have modified the way we travel. We have been with people in St. Petersburg who had their passports stolen. We have been with people in Barcelona who had money stolen on a subway, using the diversion method, in Barcelona.

We use a combination of what many of you are saying. I have a Pacsafe bag and a similar waist pack to use inside my pants/shorts. My husband uses a waist pack inside his pants too. It is inconvenient, but worth it. He also carries a $1 store wallet in his back pocket. So far, so good, but I think the most important thing is just to be very aware of your surroundings all the time.

People,

I first didn't want to reply to this post, but as a European living in the center of Europe, I feel the need to set some things straight.

First of all, Europe is not a dangerous country. Violent crime rates and murders are about one fifth of those in the USA.

Yes, tourist places attract pickpockets. Like anywhere else in the world. Even in Disneyworld Orlando, pickpockets are (very) active. Be conscious of your environment, keep your bags with you facing front and men, do wear your wallet in your front pocket. Be careful of Fanny-bags and safety belts. They are not as safe as they are intended and pickpockets have developped a very good technique to cut them free.:eek:

Secondly, The Euro is not going down the drains, 90% of Europe is doing very well thank you, with a decreasing unemployment rate, improving economy etc. Do not let FOX "news" tell you otherwise. Here in Belgium ( the object of doom scenarios by some US media) our economy is very strong, people are enjoying their life and are NOT worried about "the lack of government" situation. (we do have a government obviously, they just can't seem to get a deal on how to form a replacement as some extremely thorough reforms of the state will need to be done as voted by the people) In the US, how long are discussions of reform already underway?:rolleyes: Same here, but once a government takes seat, the reforms can be voted and passed as there is a majority and agreement.

housing prices are very stable, the Euro is still valued 38 % over its initial value (which was one US$ for one Euro). It is ONLY the speculants who WANT to force through the media a countries financial demise. Don't get fooled by it and get facts right (do not watch FOX "news" for facts obviously)

Yes, Greece in in dire need of thorough action, and unemployment in Spain is 20%. Not worse than some US areas I am sure.

Rick Steves is a travel writer. He lets you know the good & the bad. Bad, there are thieves in this world. Good, this is an amazing place and you should see as much as possible.

We've lived and traveled around Europe for a couple years now and your first pickpocket experience is memorable. Hopefully the lesson doesn't cost you too much. We've been lucky. I chased the girl down in Madrid and got my wallet back. And DH slammed the guy into the rail on the Athens subway. So far so good. Knock wood.

Think a little, watch around you, and don't be careless. And remember that old saying about not putting all your eggs in one basket. Spread your money and credit cards out, pockets, purses, money belts, etc.

Watch out for a sudden "rush" where there wasn't one a minute ago. Don't stop your a spontaneous "show" on the street. Don't open your wallet to buy from street vendors, they'll see how much you have and phone their friends that you are a good mark. Don't let people touch you.

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream & shout. The more noise you make the better. These folks want a fast and quiet in & out.

Anyone headed to Paris? Scam we're seeing this summer is signing a petition for deaf/mutes. Amazing how all the deaf mutes in Paris are pretty young girls of swarthy complection. Once you sign, they flip over the board and show you a note saying there is a fee for signing. And they have a fit it you don't pay or if you don't give them more, more, more. They will flip over their board and show you a handwritten note that says the minimum is more than you gave or all if you expected change back. Helped on at Notre Dame. It was an absolute miracle how fast she regained her hearing and speech when the cops grabbed her.

Good luck, stay safe but don't stay home.

First of all, Europe is not a dangerous country.

Hmmm, didn't know Europe is a country...;)

We had the pleasure of visiting Belgium as well as several other European countries last May and felt safe, even in crowded areas. We travelled by trains, planes, automobiles (and a cruiseship). Our valuables were kept in a small pouch worn on the inside. I also carried a small triangular bag (worn across the front), which held my small camera, bottle of water, tissue and only a small amount of cash.

Here's what I do to have a little fun with any potential pickpocket... Whenever traveling in big cities in Europe, I always prepare an old wallet: I empty it out except for a piece of cardboard to give it "thickness & weight" and then include a message in the native language of the country I'm in like: "E stupido idiota!" in Italy. Then I put it that wallet my back pocket, having my real money in a money-belt or the front pocket. If the back wallet ever goes missing, think what a kick you'll get our of knowing what's to come when the thief opens it!

Love it !

Susan

Here's what I do to have a little fun with any potential pickpocket... Whenever traveling in big cities in Europe, I always prepare an old wallet: I empty it out except for a piece of cardboard to give it "thickness & weight" and then include a message in the native language of the country I'm in like: "E stupido idiota!" in Italy. Then I put it that wallet my back pocket, having my real money in a money-belt or the front pocket. If the back wallet ever goes missing, think what a kick you'll get our of knowing what's to come when the thief opens it!

Archived