Do you want more choice

Shogun

Hi All

Ever thought it would be nice to have a bit more choice from Princess, nothing to major,

But instead of having fleet wide policies may be have ship based ones instead,

Or if that was to big a step what about just selected cruises.

Example a couple of Caribbean cruises with no formal nights

Then may a TA Crossing or a New England cruise with an extra one or two formal nights

Or A Med Cruise with a food and wine theme , guest speakers extra events based on food

Or Show major sporting events on MUTS with guest speakers from that sport onboard.

Now I would not want every cruise to have a theme or have a different set of rules, but just a few sailings

Per year to give us a little bit of choice, but not to strong a theme so that if

you did not like food And wine it would not spoil your cruise.

Any thoughts folks

Yours Shogun

But instead of having fleet wide policies may be have ship based ones instead,-this may be a bit extreme. While there are "ship loyalists" here, I would venture to guess that the vast majority of folks on a given sailing chose that voyage because it fit in best with their timing and itinerary preferences. Which ship they actually sail on (within their chosen cruise line) is probably secondary, if not tertiary. So making specific changes that vary ship to ship may cause failed realization of expectations and could unduly complicate the selection and booking process.

Example a couple of Caribbean cruises with no formal nights-perfect example and a perfect idea. Everyone notes how different the texture and feel of a cruise is when one goes during a school vacation. Younger crowd. More kids. It makes perfect sense to offer some "scaled down" formality on certain of these cruises, but not all.

Or A Med Cruise with a food and wine theme , guest speakers extra events based on food-while an attractive idea, most of the wine related cruises that are exciting enough to consider are way more expensive than the price point that Princess is targeting. Below is an example. The per person price is more than what most couples pay on Princess. Doing it "right" probably isn't in the Princess budget, and doing it "wrong" would be a disappointing experience. But it would be nice to see additional classes and lectures on certain cruises that would not upset the overall pricing strategy. http://www.foodandwinetrails.com/index.php?section=Cruises

Or Show major sporting events on MUTS with guest speakers from that sport onboard. MUTS is a tough one. No way to please 2,000 people at the same time, some of whom just want to be outside and enjoy the fresh air. But I see no reason why ships cannot have a "sports bar" on board with lots of TVs and pub food. There are so many "themed" lounges and bars that it seems natural to have a place where people can grab a beer, some chicken wings and watch sports.

Yours Shogun

All in all, I think that the concepts you outline make sense, and I suspect that this is the type of evolution that crusie lines will have to employ to stay afloat, so to speak. The business has to be grown from the young on up, not from the old on down. At the same time, there has to be plenty of "tradition" kept alive so as not to lose long-time clients.

Hi All

Ever thought it would be nice to have a bit more choice from Princess, nothing to major,

But instead of having fleet wide policies may be have ship based ones instead,

Or if that was to big a step what about just selected cruises.

Example a couple of Caribbean cruises with no formal nights

Then may a TA Crossing or a New England cruise with an extra one or two formal nights

Or A Med Cruise with a food and wine theme , guest speakers extra events based on food

Or Show major sporting events on MUTS with guest speakers from that sport onboard.

Now I would not want every cruise to have a theme or have a different set of rules, but just a few sailings

Per year to give us a little bit of choice, but not to strong a theme so that if

you did not like food And wine it would not spoil your cruise.

Any thoughts folks

Yours Shogun

Great thoughts.

What I would really like is food that is themed to the area we are cruising. I don't mean the buffets which have a theme but specific foods a particular area is known for. In the caribbean we are served an Italian night at dinner, same in northern Europe, etc. I would like them to mix it up from ship to ship depending on where we are cruising.

One of the things we like about Princess is that we know what to expect from one cruise to the next. Some of your theme suggestions are OK, but I like two formal nights on a 7-day cruise. Passengers who don't want to participate have other options.

One of my co-workers just returned from a jazz cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship. I'm sure there are times when Princess ships are chartered by large groups, and there are many smaller groups who book blocks of cabins and have their own events on the ship.

Another co-worker went on a cruise affiliated with a local winery. They were probably 10 percent of the passengers on that cruise. The other passengers may not have even noticed them unless they saw the signs saying "private event" at some of the venues. They also got served the winery's wines at dinner, but no one probably noticed that either.

Hi All

We were once on a Princess arts cruise, there was a number of artists painting live around the ship, talks etc, we knew nothing about it when we booked, it did not affect us, and was a nice little extra show for us to watch.

yours Shogun

Archived