San Francisco Cruisers

aaerobear

Turtles huh? . . .yep, I'm familiar with the term . . . . on our first cruise on Crystal in 1991 I think . . . is that the first year Harmony was out? or was it '92? I was only 12!!!!. . . .I know we were on like their 5th cruise - SF to San Juan . . . I sometimes wear a gold turtle on a chain . . . . a woman walked up to me and said "are you a turtle?" I didn't know what she meant . . . I never really found out the full significance of "the turtles" . . . care to enlighten me?

Mike

I never really found out the full significance of "the turtles" . . . care to enlighten me?
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.:D It involves drinking, an initiation ceremony, and a stock response any time you get asked that question. If I say more, THEY will mark me for leaking secrets. But if the woman was a statuesque blond in a tight sequined gown, that was my friend Connie. Always closed down Stars on any trip she was on.

We (ex and I) sailed in '92, Transatlantic from Southampton to NY, and in '94 (I guess that's mid-nineties- I must have been 16 by then!;) ) on part of the Transpacific from Yokahama to L.A. Then went with my mother on the Symphony a couple of years ago (four and a half, where does the time go?), Transatlantic Lisbon to Barbados- Ed was upset that he didn't get invited, but I'd known him for about six months at that point, and this was a mother/son bonding cruise (her husband won't don black tie!) I tried to make it up to him by meeting him in Key West for Thanksgiving, but he still frowns about it....MEN! :)

Poor Ed- I can just see me running through the closets on Saturday morning and asking him if "this outfit says 'just stopping by for coffee on my way to a really important social engagement in a really good postal code' or not?"

Ahh, Hyacinth lives in all of us.

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.:D It involves drinking, an initiation ceremony, and a stock response any time you get asked that question. If I say more, THEY will mark me for leaking secrets. But if the woman was a statuesque blond in a tight sequined gown, that was my friend Connie. Always closed down Stars on any trip she was on.

We (ex and I) sailed in '92, Transatlantic from Southampton to NY, and in '94 (I guess that's mid-nineties- I must have been 16 by then!;) ) on part of the Transpacific from Yokahama to L.A. Then went with my mother on the Symphony a couple of years ago (four and a half, where does the time go?), Transatlantic Lisbon to Barbados- Ed was upset that he didn't get invited, but I'd known him for about six months at that point, and this was a mother/son bonding cruise (her husband won't don black tie!) I tried to make it up to him by meeting him in Key West for Thanksgiving, but he still frowns about it....MEN! :)

Getting scary, here. I know DESTCRZ relies somewhat on my memory, so here goes...... Harmony's first season was 1990, so I suppose that's when they sailed SF-San Juan. And I think their 2nd Harmony cruise was a London-NY Transatlantic a year or two later. 1991? 1992? Either that or a Baltics cruise. Could it be possible? A DESTCRZ/Blazerboy "reunion" after 13 years?

Poor Ed- I can just see me running through the closets on Saturday morning and asking him if "this outfit says 'just stopping by for coffee on my way to a really important social engagement in a really good postal code' or not?"

Ahh, Hyacinth lives in all of us.

Yes, please select a "quality" ensemble, not too overdressed for late morning coffee, but smart enough to turn heads of socialites at the afternoon art galleries!

Hello everyone:

We ran across this thread and wanted to make Beav's world even smaller.

We are Les and David and live in the CITY. Wish we could join the group in Walnut Creek (somewhere by Nevada, right?) this weekend, but can't make it. We sail on Mercury on Wed, May 4 and Saturday is haircuts and packing day!

Hope to join another meeting in the future.

I do hope you are all wearing "proper" cruise-talk attire at Starbucks, or "the lady of the house" will frankly be appalled! ... "Oh Richard"!

Les

LOL! I was wondering when you guys would find this thread!

Sorry you can't crash the suburban coffee clatch, we'd love to have you both!

Bon voyage next Wednesday and don't do anything in 1221 that we didn't back in '03 !!!

Hope it's a QUALITY cruise Hyacinth would approve of!

Hello everyone:

We ran across this thread and wanted to make Beav's world even smaller.

We are Les and David and live in the CITY. Wish we could join the group in Walnut Creek (somewhere by Nevada, right?) this weekend, but can't make it. We sail on Mercury on Wed, May 4 and Saturday is haircuts and packing day!

Hope to join another meeting in the future.

I do hope you are all wearing "proper" cruise-talk attire at Starbucks, or "the lady of the house" will frankly be appalled! ... "Oh Richard"!

Les

Hey Les,

sorry to straight butt in here but I love Hyacith, Patsy & Eddie so if you want to talk once we get on the cruise, great!! I have all the Saunders & French DVD's at home too.

My Chris will know who we mean too because he's British.

Liz

Blazerboy - I think this might be scary . . . .we did Southhampton to New York on the Harmony - but I swear I can't remember if it was '91 or '92 . . . I'm sure David DeHavilland was your CD also - he was like an institution on the Harmony for YEARS. I am trying to think of something significant that happened on our cruise to see if we were on the same one . . . only thing that comes to mind - I remember we had to miss the port at Lerwick Scotland because of rough seas and we got into the tale end of Hurricane Andrew and had like 50ft seas . . . oh my gawd . . . that means it was '92. Part of the entertainment on that cruise was a murder mystery type thing (not very well executed IMHO) by a guy that was former Scotland Yard - in fact, he sat at our table. We met two guys from Galveston Texas - Don and David on that cruise - we have become best of friends over the years - done numerous cruises together and visited each other. Email me - we'll talk off line - destcrz(at)hotmail.com

Mike

Destcrz- that was it! Same cruise. 1992. There was an FOD party that we went to- about 50 guys-did you? Yes, knew David DeHaviland from those early Harmony cruises. Remember meeting two guys form Texas. Did Don and David own a bar in New Orleans? Again, small world, and I'll e-mail you. Just wanted to post here so that everyone who was sitting on the edge of their seats knows the answer.:D

Just wanted to post here so that everyone who was sitting on the edge of their seats knows the answer.:D

Thanks, Blaze, you know me SO well already!

Will be off line most all day today, so just wanted to say we'll see anyone who can make it tomorrow at 11:00am at Starbucks/Bancroft. Looking forward to a QUALITY experience! Don't lose too much sleep tonite, Blaze, agonizing over what ensemble to wear tomorrow!

Thanks, Blaze, you know me SO well already!

Will be off line most all day today, so just wanted to say we'll see anyone who can make it tomorrow at 11:00am at Starbucks/Bancroft. Looking forward to a QUALITY experience! Don't lose too much sleep tonite, Blaze, agonizing over what ensemble to wear tomorrow!

And don't forget to report in afterwards for those of us with "enquiring minds who want to know" who follow royalty closely, but unfortunately won't be able to make this particular soirée ...

The first ever Cruise Critic Contra Costa Coffee Clatch is now history.....

Attending were...

Tedson, Blazerboy, TJINWC, Beav and their respective friends, significant others, and/or pets. Total: 8 Suburban gays and one Welsh Corgi (hi Hubble!)

Among the topics of discussion were.....

1. Who of the ship's crew are gay? Ask the girls in the Steiner Spa (Thanks TJINWC!)

2. Friends of Dorothy. Is the code outdated? Should we change it to Friends of Hyacinth?

3. Freestyle cruising. Leave the ol' ball-and-chain at home and have a good time?

4. The City or The WC. Which is REALLY the better postal code?

5. Gay life in surburbia. Those soccer moms have NOTHING on us!

6. Whaddya mean 14 steamer trunks is excessive for a 3-nighter to Ensenada?

7. Deck size. What's the biggest veranda you've ever sat on?

Two and a half hours of stimulating conversation seemed like ten minutes with everyone vying for their chance to get a word in edgewise. Next time we'll switch to decaf!

Yes, BEAV reportes correctly, although Hubble wasn't so happy about all the talk about vacations (That means he goes to the dog spa if Ed's parents can't take him). Really nice to meet you guys- Funny that so many of us live so close!

How about that S.F. gathering?

I think we're still waiting 'till closer to PRIDE in June when BB and various other folk get back from their cruises...

We were thinking Martuni's, but maybe someplace larger and quieter (so we can hear each other) would be better???

We were thinking Martuni's, but maybe someplace larger and quieter (so we can hear each other) would be better

We had a great time at the first "C6" meeting Saturday (great name for the group, Beav :) )

Brian...Yes, being able to hear each other is fairly important; otherwise you'll wind up with a bunch of folks just staring at each other. I know we all look "mahvolous", but that's not what the get together is for :D

Today (Thursday 5/5/5) is a quiet day at pier 35 here in SFO, no ships in port. Tomorrow the Yorktown Clipper docks for the day. No idea where from or where to.

Saturday the Volendam cruises into town from CaboSanLucas and then we all head to Astoria/Victoria/Vancouver.

Hope the darn weather improves so we can at least SEE the bridge when we sail out.

Ed/Jeff

Yes, BEAV reportes correctly, although Hubble wasn't so happy about all the talk about vacations (That means he goes to the dog spa if Ed's parents can't take him). Really nice to meet you guys- Funny that so many of us live so close!

Are there Steiner gals at the dog spa, too, that can point out the "family" canines to Hubble?

;) Hubble doesn't like to associate with the other riff-raff that tend to go to dog spas these days, let alone fraternize with the help!:D

Saw the Volendam on Saturday at the piers-hope they're all having fun going up the coast. And the time draws nearer for us! And for you all doing the ALaska cruise on the 30th! Can't wait.

We too are getting anxious about our cruise from Long Beach in two weeks. I may need to go see the Summit in port today just to get a cruise fix! :D

Soiree at Pier 35 today?

We're headed over to the City after work (around 3:00-ish) to see Summit sail away. So far 3 other friends joining us as well. The more the merrier. Tedson? Blazerboy?

You can probably find us here http://www.butterflysf.com/ around 4:00pm having cocktails before she sails at 6:00pm. (if the cocktails are good, I'LL be sailing waaay before 6:00pm !!)

http://www.celebrityatsea.com/index.aspx?Value=9&Loc=CS2&SLoc=CS&ALocs=123

Ted, sorry, forgot about that cruise coming up! And Larry's going too? Or is he on another ship? And aren't BEAV and Gary on a repo. now before the cruise on the 30th? Busy times for the C6 contingent.

BEAV - you are not that cheap of a drunk . . .I've seen you suck down several sitting on that big Penthouse Deck on the Summit . . . . enjoy!!!!

I'm jealous - wish I were with you!!!

Mike