San Francisco Cruisers

aaerobear

Thanks Brian...Ralph is doing much better now. And he ALWAYS seems to feel better after a cruise :) Any idea what Frankie is doing now?

Ted and Ralph – I haven’t heard from Frankie for a few months, but last I heard from him, he was on Sapphire doing the Australia run. He did the same thing last year on Star Princess and enjoyed it very much. I’m sure he’s having a great time where ever he is…I’ll have to drop him an email!

Ted and Ralph – I haven’t heard from Frankie for a few months, but last I heard from him, he was on Sapphire doing the Australia run. He did the same thing last year on Star Princess and enjoyed it very much. I’m sure he’s having a great time where ever he is…I’ll have to drop him an email!

Frankie organized the first F.O.D. get-together we ever attended, and did a great job. If you email him, let him know we said hi.

My dept. is havng system problems, resulting in my not having a lot to do, so I took a long lunch and walked down to the Ferry Building. It's such a neat place for tourists and locals alike. Saw a HUGE yacht go sailing under the Bay Bridge; I mean this this thing looked half the size of a cruiseship! I thought it might be the Yorktown Clipper but it's not due in until tomorrow.

Okay City by the Bay people, please help me out here.

I am sailing on the Regal to Alaska on June 7th. We will be in S.F. on the 6th for a fun night on the town. We are staying in a hotel by the airport but would like to have dinner downtown.

Is there a way to take the BART into downtown and then grab a cable car down California street to Van Ness? Also do they have a pass system that you can purchase that allows you to ride the BART, cable cars and the muni?

If so where can you purchase them and how much are they?

Thanks for any insight.

Deb

Okay City by the Bay people, please help me out here.

I am sailing on the Regal to Alaska on June 7th. We will be in S.F. on the 6th for a fun night on the town. We are staying in a hotel by the airport but would like to have dinner downtown.

Is there a way to take the BART into downtown and then grab a cable car down California street to Van Ness? Also do they have a pass system that you can purchase that allows you to ride the BART, cable cars and the muni?

If so where can you purchase them and how much are they?

Thanks for any insight.

Deb

Deb--

Why would you stay out by the airport???

You'd be much happier in town - either near the wharf, Union Square or Downtown - that way you can just walk to everything...

And yes, you can get Muni passes to ride the busses and cable cars at MUNI kiosks, but BART is a completely separate system and Muni passes won't get you outside the city (ie: SFO)

BTW - When you come back, you may want to stay for Pride!

Deb, Try these two web sites:

Hotels: www.hotelres.com

Muni/Cable car passes:

https://www.sfvisitor.org/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_main.html?catid=5&sid=3cQD6S1EJ7ZJ0Fj-44105290121.87

I agree with Brian that it would be easier to stay downtown so you could really enjoy your night here without worrying about BART schedules at the end of the evening. The Hotel site allows you to search by price and local, so you should be able to find the right place, maybe even score a bargain!

We often stay overnight in the City despite living close by in Walnut Creek.

We always use Priceline. We've never paid more than $80 for a 4 star hotel.

If you want to stay in Priceline's Union Square East/Embarcadero zone you'll be assigned any of the following, as long as you bid on a 4 star hotel:

Grand Hyatt

Westin St Francis

Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

Omni

SF Marriott

Renaissance Stanford Court (atop Nob Hill @ Powell & California)

Palomar (Kimpton hotel)

If you want Union Square West area, the 4 star hotels are:

SF Hilton

Monaco (Kimpton hotel)

Prescott (another Kimpton)

If high hotel prices is your reason for avoiding downtown SF, then definitely give Priceline a try.

The reason that we are staying near the airport is due to parking. We have a cruise/drive package that will allow us to keep our car at the hotel for our 11 day cruise. They take us to the ship in the morning after a buffet breakfast. The price that we are paying for the hotel is about the same price at the parking at the pier.

Is there a way to take the BART into downtown and then grab a cable car down California street to Van Ness?

Deb

Deb-you'll want to get on one of the first few cars of the BART train so when you exit, it will be on the far east side of the station. Take BART all the way to the last SF station-called Embarcadero. When you come up to the street level, the California Cable Car turnaround will be right there and you can ride it all the way to Van Ness. $3 each way. IMHO, though, the Powell Street line is more fun. If you choose to do that line, get off BART at the Powell St. Station. Hope this helps.

IMHO, though, the Powell Street line is more fun. If you choose to do that line, get off BART at the Powell St. Station. Hope this helps.

I agree - there really isn't anything tourist-y at Califonia & Van Ness.

The Powell Street line takes you through Union Square & over Nob Hill via Chinatown to the Wharf...

The reason that we are staying near the airport is due to parking. We have a cruise/drive package that will allow us to keep our car at the hotel for our 11 day cruise. They take us to the ship in the morning after a buffet breakfast. The price that we are paying for the hotel is about the same price at the parking at the pier.

I should have known you had a logical reason for staying near the Airport. Pardon the Priceline "commercial" !!!

I did time in Fresno.....back in the 80's and early 90's. Any chance you know Peter Robertson and/or Victor Kral? Peter is pretty big in the gay community. (Big in a community organizer sort of way for those of you who's minds wandered down the wrong path) !!

Anyone else want to join Brian and I on the Halloween Group Cruise October 2006? Come on Ice..I need another dyke on board with me! :)

Iggi,

I've mentioned it to dear SO, her first question was what about our December cruise that we usually plan and the next was what was Hal :eek: You can tell who reads these boards. I'll try and talk her into it, we're both in our early 20's and it might be a bit difficult talking her into going on HAL.

Maybe if I had some good reasons as to why we should go she'd rethink it.

Well, time for me to wash the dog, just spent the day at Crissy field.

Walnut Creek-ers (and nearby folk;) ) Well, with BEAV leaving on May 30th, and me leaving on May 18th, do we want to try a Sat. a.m. (later a.m.!) coffee thing at Countrywood in May? Thinking the 14th might work.

And then, Brian, if something gets organized for the City on/nearer to Pride??

Or maybe I'm just so cruise focused because I leave in 27 days!!!!:D

Iggi,

I've mentioned it to dear SO, her first question was what about our December cruise that we usually plan and the next was what was Hal :eek: You can tell who reads these boards. I'll try and talk her into it, we're both in our early 20's and it might be a bit difficult talking her into going on HAL.

Maybe if I had some good reasons as to why we should go she'd rethink it.

Well, time for me to wash the dog, just spent the day at Crissy field.

We just had a group of 6 gay couples confirm booking on the HAL-O-Ween group cruise...

"...we'll have a gay old time!":D

Walnut Creek-ers (and nearby folk;) ) Well, with BEAV leaving on May 30th, and me leaving on May 18th, do we want to try a Sat. a.m. (later a.m.!) coffee thing at Countrywood in May? Thinking the 14th might work.

And then, Brian, if something gets organized for the City on/nearer to Pride??

Or maybe I'm just so cruise focused because I leave in 27 days!!!!:D

Hi Blazerboy,

Yes, we're sailing May 30, but we're also sailing a short 2-night Coastal on Princess May 12-14!

I know we'll probably never be able to get everyone together on one common date, so if the 14th is good for others, then go for it. Otherwise, anyone free this coming Saturday, April 30?

If we weren't cruising on the 22'nd, I've said yes, but that weekend before we'll probably be busy doing some last minute shopping (aren't cruises a great excuse for a new wardrobe? :D )

Hey Beav, are you two flying back from Vancouver or Amtraking it?

WOW!!!! Amtraking it home, what a concept. Will have to check that out.

BEPSF (Brian), do you know if any of the SOE has been done to the Volendam??? Wondering if we should bring DVD's or not.

Thanks. Of to the "Soul Recharge" tonight (sunday) at the Troc.

Ed

BEPSF (Brian), do you know if any of the SOE has been done to the Volendam??? Wondering if we should bring DVD's or not.

Ed

Ed--

Volendam hasn't had its SOE drydock yet, but if you're in a Mini-Suite or higher, there will be DVD players there for you....

Hey Beav, looks like there's lots of interest, but little coordination!:D So far the 14th isn't looking so good, and you're right, maybe I should spend that time packing and looking for that last fashion accessory for my trip.

I'm around this Saturday during the day (Ed's going into the office, so I get a day of rest with the dog!) so let me know if you want to try to meet, and we can let others know here if we find a good time/place.

Short of that, Brian, are we any closer to thinking about Pride weekend?

And, yes, DESTCRZ, the WC is pretty great-for suburbia... we just went to Gordon Drysdale's latest cullinary effort in the burbs (Layfayette), Pizza Antica, and it was great!!!! So you city folk might have to make a pilgrimage at some point!

Andrew

And, yes, DESTCRZ, the WC is pretty great-for suburbia... we just went to Gordon Drysdale's latest cullinary effort in the burbs (Layfayette), Pizza Antica, and it was great!!!! So you city folk might have to make a pilgrimage at some point!

Andrew

DESTCRZ and partner are making their virgin visit to THE WC on Sunday, May 29. Since they're from Charleston, WV, I have arranged with THE WC City Counsel to have the day proclaimed "Appalachia Day in THE WC".