Why does Carnival Hire Incompetent or better yet Clueless Reps?

Wennfred

I'm sure a career in customer service wasn't their first choice. Some people are very good at it (and you know when you're talking to one), but the vast majority are there because they're qualified for little else.

I wanted to reply to this earlier today. But I was at work as a customer service rep and it was a busy day.

I really take offense to this statment that "the vast majority are there because they're qualified for little else"...

With that statement I can just imagine how YOU treat the people YOU call looking for help.

I choose to do this because I LOVE the interaction with our customers every day. I choose to do this because I love the challenge of resolving issues. I choose to do this because I KNOW I make a difference in my company's bottom line.

And my qualifications are 30 years experience of technical / application / software support. But in the end.. it's all CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I have about another 30 post in this thread to read so sorry if I'm missed a retraction or something. I just couldn't read further without responding,

I wanted to reply to this earlier today. But I was at work as a customer service rep and it was a busy day.

I really take offense to this statment that "the vast majority are there because they're qualified for little else"...

With that statement I can just imagine how YOU treat the people YOU call looking for help.

I choose to do this because I LOVE the interaction with our customers every day. I choose to do this because I love the challenge of resolving issues. I choose to do this because I KNOW I make a difference in my company's bottom line.

And my qualifications are 30 years experience of technical / application / software support. But in the end.. it's all CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I have about another 30 post in this thread to read so sorry if I'm missed a retraction or something. I just couldn't read further without responding,

+1

well said!

Very well said. I have had extensive customer service training from big bank centers to tech support departments. My customer service training has given me the foundation to work out of my home as an advocate/lobbyist with our local and state governments. I believe it to be a talent to nurture relationships with people who lead with thoughts such as the ones the OP communicates.

I contacted Carnival to tell them that their April 28th Cruise to Nowhere website page does not state that this cruise will end up in Vancouver CN !!!

When you select (Book This Cruise Now) thats where it shows Vancouver..

I tried to tell these 2 idiots to notify someone in their Webpage department to simply add the it ends in Vancouver on the main page.

I am thinking that it will return to San Diego, thats why I would select Book it now.

The first Rep, didnt care about what I was trying to tell him and was only interested in booking me on that cruise. Total idiot.

I asked to transfer me to someone with alittle more brain cells like a Supervisor and he just transfered me to another Sales rep.

The 2nd rep did help me but, only gave me the answer about clicking on the Book it now, still not getting the point about the main page.

These are the little things that pisses me off about Carnival, and they wonder why people leave this cruiseline and sail with other companies like RCL etc.

So for those interested, April 28th Cruise to NoWhere Ports of Call, San Diego, Ca. DOES NOT Return to San Diego. it drops you off to Vancouver CN. Doesnt even state REPOSITIONING Cruise like on other websites.

Fred

Welcome back Fred. CCL's website can drive you crazy sometimes. A CTN is totally different than a repositioing !

Very well said. I have had extensive customer service training from big bank centers to tech support departments. My customer service training has given me the foundation to work out of my home as an advocate/lobbyist with our local and state governments. I believe it to be a talent to nurture relationships with people who lead with thoughts such as the ones the OP communicates.

What a great post!

Congratulations on knowing who you are and how to effectively interact with the world.

Each of us is engaged in customer service on a regular basis, whether it is in our job title or not. College professors, mechanics, lawyers, even our ridiculously exalted MDs, all are tasked with providing some level of customer service.

Most of the time we get what we give. Although their website leaves much to be desired, Carnival tech reps are very easy to contact. Not sure why the OP did not know that.

Too bad the majority give experienced and professional customers service reps such as yourself a bad name....I have come across one or two like you in my time but as of late I am lucky if I can even understand them......

I've found when you call a customer service center if you treat them with kindness and humor, 99% of the time they will do everything in their power to satisfy your concerns or problems. Treating them with disrepect or with attitude will reward you with the alternative.

I've never spoken to "Peggy" but those ads are my favorite.

People are out of work and looking for, and taking, jobs that they are not really suited for. Can't say I blame them. Most will find their way out of this. There is only so much in anyones budget for the type of training that makes a great PVP. Why would a company waste the time and money unless the person is right for the job? Have patience, and be kind. If they don't belong there, they probably already know this. It is frustrating for everyone.

What a great post!

Congratulations on knowing who you are and how to effectively interact with the world.

Each of us is engaged in customer service on a regular basis, whether it is in our job title or not. College professors, mechanics, lawyers, even our ridiculously exalted MDs, all are tasked with providing some level of customer service.

Most of the time we get what we give. Although their website leaves much to be desired, Carnival tech reps are very easy to contact. Not sure why the OP did not know that.

Interesting that you use the word "exalted" with MDs. I work for a group of neurosurgeons. They are the nicest, kindest, funniest group of doctors I've ever worked for. If anyone has the right to be "exalted", it's these guys. I cannot fathom operating on someone's brain with a microscope, but they do it every day. So, just as there are less than stellar CS reps, so too are there less than stellar attitudes of doctors. Just as we all face CS issues every day, so too is there good and bad everywhere.

I'm sure a career in customer service wasn't their first choice. Some people are very good at it (and you know when you're talking to one), but the vast majority are there because they're qualified for little else.

I built a customer service department for a wildlife feeder company in the late 70's early 80's and I thought hunters were hard to deal with.....I could never deal with cruisers!!:rolleyes:

Archived