Volendam may see UARS breakup!

Pete Jackson

Yes, if it comes in one orbit early, it could be over Florida. An uncertainty in the time of 45 minutes could mean it comes down on the opposite side of the Earth, but along the same last orbit track. It's like if there were going to be an explosion somewhere along I95 between Maine and Florida, you could be affected anywhere along the highway, but you would be completely safe if you lived ten miles away from the highway.

Go to www.heavens-above.com to see a diagram of where it is in real-time ... if it hasn't broken up yet by the time you read this!

Latest from NASA:

Update #12

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:50:07 PM EDT

As of 10:30 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 85 miles by 90 miles (135 km by 140 km). Re-entry is expected between 11:45 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 12:45 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3:45 a.m. to 4:45 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada and Africa, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote.

New Zealand.
It may have broken up just after passing you!

NASA said ... fell to Earth sometime between 11:23 p.m. EDT on Friday and 1:09 a.m. EDT on Saturday.

"The precise re-entry time and location are not yet known with certainty," NASA said of the 20-year-old satellite.

There were reports on Twitter of debris falling over Okotoks, a town south of Calgary in western Canada, most likely satellite remains.

I watched the skylab reenter and breakup when I was in Perth in 1979. It looked like a comet at the start and then got very large. If only digital HD Video had been available at that time! All I have is memories and no pics :-(

:confused: How could it have been seen in a dark, night sky? What would have lit it up? Was it burning debris? Sorry if dumb questions but I didn't imagine it would be visible but could it have been red hot steel from the re-entry?

:confused: How could it have been seen in a dark, night sky? What would have lit it up? Was it burning debris? Sorry if dumb questions but I didn't imagine it would be visible but could it have been red hot steel from the re-entry?
Yes, the pieces would all be fireballs, far more visible at night than during the day ... although some of the larger fireballs could probably be seen in daylight. Even the parts that didn't burn up completely would be glowing white hot.

Archived