Hepatitis...

laurakdy

Thanks for all you replies folks..

It definitely isnt just resgined to counties with poor sanitation, we can in fact pick it up anywhere but yes there are certain countires of which say, the caribbean is one, where it is more prevelant, hence the need for keeping our innoculations up to date...

Yep its easily passed on from hand to mouth, so in fact anyone with it onbaord ship could quite easily pass it on...

Ive just read an awful story about a couple who ate at this restaurant in Illinois ( a reputable one),many of the diners came down with Hep A and it turned out it was spring onions that was in the meal that many of them had eaten - The srping onions had been imported from Mexico...

She recovered fairly quickly but he has nearly died umpteen times, had a liver transplant and his quality of life is poor to say the least...

Lets face it on a cruise ship in the caribbean we've no idea where the food is coming from to be honest...

I have been advised to have this injection and was unsure, not for any other reason other than the fact I'm pathetic at having injections and can easily go into panic mode but after some research realised its not worth the risk...

If you have been advised then go ahead and have it, you have beeen asking this question for a while now. The only advice you can go on is the advice you get from your medical team not from public forums.

I'm sorry I really dont understand this post - Your so right in thats it a public forum and I can put up whatever I like within board guidlines, surely ? If I want advice here then surely I can ask as I see fit ?

Dont remember every asking if Hepatitis A was on cruise ships, what I did ask a couple of months ago was regarding if people required/needed vacinnations for the caribbean...

I didnt ask for advice either, only asked the question, is Hepa A on cruise ships - Thought it was quite self explanatory really...

Had no idea my threads were that closey scrutinised with the board police but lets face it, you didnt need to reply with your much welcomed 'advice'... If you feel youve already read and replied before, its really not compulsary you know to add anything, just move on as you wish, there's many more for you to enjoy...

Note to oneself - Please take note of all threads you put on here as big brother is watching you...

• 1 year later...

In answer to the orignal question about contracting Hepatitis A.

You can do a google search. I found the following.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/alerts/Pages/HepA_Alert_RadianceOfTheSeas_CruiseShip.aspx

According to the CDC website, Hepatitis A symptoms nornally appear 2-6 weeks after exposure. Unless you are on long cruise, any symptoms may not appear until long after your cruise is over.

Lets face it on a cruise ship in the caribbean we've no idea where the food is coming from to be honest...

Since this is on the P&O forum, I assume you are referring to P&O ships, in which case - food is loaded at Southampton if the cruise is a TA to/from the UK, and shipped from Miami if a fly cruise.

Archived