Port Talks - should I attend

Wayfairers

There's virtually nothing referring to the actual ports (i.e. places of interest, culture, etc.), other than where you can purchase overpriced jewelry (another topic for another thread ... there are dozens of them) and schlock from "recommended" merchants, who pay both the cruise line and the "port and shopping guide" for the privilege. FYI, the latter individuals are not cruise line employees, but independent contractors whose income is derived from commission paid by the merchants. This is why you're always asked by store employees what ship you're on. The "guides" are generally free to negotiate their own compensation arrangements ... many do very well. The really good ones are always scurrying around from store to store, keeping the hype in front of the passengers. If you want to catch a glimpse of the presentation, its run on the ship's TV channel ad nauseum, from the moment of completion until just about the end of the cruise. It's a huge revenue producer for the cruise line.

There's an interesting website that promotes training to be a "port and shopping guide." Take a look ... it's quite revealing ........ http://www.portshopping.com.

While I rarely buy from the jewelry stores, I do enjoy the free drinks and have learned that if they don't offer one you go look at the most expensive stuff and suddenly one appears.

OMG - that website was an eye opener! I had no idea that the port people were specifically hired for that job - I naively assumed the ship pulled someone from another job to do these things because they were necessary but didn't directly make money for the ship.

While I rarely buy from the jewelry stores, I do enjoy the free drinks and have learned that if they don't offer one you go look at the most expensive stuff and suddenly one appears.

OMG - that website was an eye opener! I had no idea that the port people were specifically hired for that job - I naively assumed the ship pulled someone from another job to do these things because they were necessary but didn't directly make money for the ship.

We've done the freebie drinks on occasion, but haven't in a while. Irrespective of what one thinks of the merchant, the people behind the counter are there to make a living. We just don't want to waste their time, knowing that we have absolutely no intention of purchasing anything.

Yeah ... isn't that site revealing! The ancillary benefit to people like us, who avoid those talks at all costs, is that those who do attend (and shop) help keep the cost of our cruise down ... so everybody's happy!

I've gleaned some mildly useful info at the port talks, like where to catch the bus to town, or the fact that Margaritaville in Montego Bay has a waterslide into the ocean. Our first cruise after we had kids, we managed to bring back some free trinkets from the various stores like Del Sol and Diamonds International for the kids (and btw, the DI in Mazatlan has a free bar in the back, nothing like getting you lubed up before trying to sell you a $3000 ring LOL).

Generally though, it's a glorified sales pitch. The "shopping expert" really doesn't know anything about stores in the port other than those stores that pay the cruise line, (and to be fair, they don't hide the fact those recommended stores pay the cruise line for that recommendation).

On our recent cruise to the Black Sea, we had a port lecturer on board that specifically talked about the history and culture of the ports we were going to. There was no mention of stores, but he did encourage the Princess Tours more than independent tours. At any rate, we found them to be helpful background information to supplement our pre-cruise research.

In Alaska, however the talks were more like "shopping guides".:rolleyes:

I think the lecture talking about the history and culture of the ports is a different thing... we had those on our 30d cruise in addition to the people talking about shopping in the ports. Haven't had those informative lectures on the shorter cruises - just the shopping talks.

I been to one and it put me to sleep..lol. waste of time. They try to talk you into goin to them by giving you coupons for the stores on the islands but even the coupons are usually junk. A lot of it is for jewerly and i just dont get why you would want to buy jewerly in the caribbean..sure it may be tax free but it is made better here in America! and a lot of times ive seen where the prices there for the jewerly are more expensive than the prices for jewerly in America. Plus you truly never know what you are buying. I knew a lady that bought a ring in the caribbean and was told that it was real sterling silver. after wearing it for a while she had a green ring around her finger.

Had 2 types of port talk. On the Baltic cruises, they were by John Lawrence , our cuise CD, and they were fabulous. Info on art, history etc and all the info we needed ( with photos) to really appreciate the ports and also for going on our own ( where to get the bus, what would the train station look like in town... the absolute best. Google him.

The other type whas the : the most important thing to do on your cruise is spend all your port time in stores, especially jewelery ( that are the same ones in all the ports) and get the diamonds or watches you will want to die for !!!) ( and go to the ones she mentions ... and mention her name... The lady giving the lecture... was actually soooo good , you may end up walking out of there wandering how you could waste time visiting the sights and not morgaging your house to buy these rare stones...once in a life time chance... running out in 15 years etc... Actually I'm serious, she was so good any marketing company should look for her and give her a job!

I'd say, go to the lecture, stand in the back and make up your mind after 5 minutes.

I rather spend my time reading up on the port before the cruise (guide books plus checking the website for the port).

BTW, I typed in the above website into google and got a question mark (meaning they couldn't guarantee it's a safe site -- even though that doesn't mean it isn't, I figured why risk it).

BTW' date=' I typed in the above website into google and got a question mark (meaning they couldn't guarantee it's a safe site -- even though that doesn't mean it isn't, I figured why risk it).[/quote']

I've been on it several times, mostly to show my friends, and have sent the link to dozens of others ... never a problem. I just tried it again, and my ultra-secure computer didn't flag it ... http://www.portshopping.com ... enjoy!

Al

Archived