Port Talks - should I attend

Wayfairers

As others have said, they try to get you all excited about shopping in their approved stores, and into buying excursions. They generally give out some door prizes like inexpensive jewelry and tee shirts.

Actually, if you haven't done any research, and have no idea what's in port, it may be beneficial to go.

oooo... door prizes??? might be worth going then :D:D:D

Thanks for the info. Sounds like they are what I expected. I like the map/info we get in the room and have wondered if they just review that and try to sell the ship excursions that haven't sold out. Sounds like they don't talk about the ship excursions though??

Sounds like they don't talk about the ship excursions though??

Yes, they try to get you to purchase ship excursions too. (Only the ones that haven't sold out yet). However, I find that you can get all the info you need about an excursion by visiting the excursion desk vs sitting through the whole port talk.

if you go to your local library and scan through a few travel books you will be better informed that the "port consultant" -- except, of course, concerning the "shopping opportunities". Reading up a bit in advance is part of the pleasure of planning a cruise -- and you can focus on what interests you,

We have done a number of Med cruises and on board there was an historical expert on the countries and ports we would be visiting. I attended a number of the talks and they were helpful in me understanding the people and histories. I had a informative time and learned about cities like Tunis, Palermo, etc...and when I toured I could relate to some of the info. But if it was a shopping talk.....No way Jose' Hope you have a wonderful cruise..:)

We have done a number of Med cruises and on board there was an historical expert on the countries and ports we would be visiting. I attended a number of the talks and they were helpful in me understanding the people and histories. I had a informative time and learned about cities like Tunis, Palermo, etc...and when I toured I could relate to some of the info. But if it was a shopping talk.....No way Jose' Hope you have a wonderful cruise..:)

I am referring only to the shopping talks.

I usually enjoy the expert lectures and find most of them very informative. I may attend one of the shopping talks (and leave as soon as they start the sales job) on this next cruise.

Years ago we went, ended up just being sale pitches for ship tours and "approved" shops.

We did not go to any on our last cruises. But on our Med one our BIL/SIL went. They ended up winning gift certificates for free things. For the Kusadasi talk they got a free pashima, just had to go to the store in the marketplace to pick it up.

If we don't have busy days, we might change our minds and go next time. Sometimes the free stuff is worth a few minutes.

I think we maybe talking about two different things here. Port talks as in the best stores to get the best deals and ask for so and so, those I avoid. I have attended many port talks, perhaps better called destination lectures that have been very informative and interesting in the historical sense. Of course I have been to a few that my cat could have provided more accurate information, but I still normally make it a point to attend the non sales port lecture.

Don't go to them any more , I usually just go buy the tours desk and pick up one of the ports leaflets , since they usually have a small map of the port area on it , I like to have that.

Cori

Isn't that the same port leaflet they put in the room the night before you get that the port?

When we were on on our Baltic cruise with Princess we found the port lectures very helpful. Except for St. Petersburg we did all of the ports on our own. They gave us great information on local transportation options. In one case the bus line I had planned on using was out of service due to road work so if we hadn't gone to the talk it would have caused us a bit of a hassle.

For our Caribbean cruise we didn't bother with them as we were either taking a private excursion, walking or taking a taxi to where ever we were going.

I am referring only to the shopping talks.

I usually enjoy the expert lectures and find most of them very informative. I may attend one of the shopping talks (and leave as soon as they start the sales job) on this next cruise.

........brothers from different mothers......rock on......

Many, many years ago when we did our cirst cruise -- no Internet back then -- we did go to the port talks and shopping talks.

Do agree that they were pushing certain excursions and of course certains shops to buy from.

The port talks -- most of the time they read to you the exact same thing that was in the excursion booklet -- many times word -for-word.

Never went to another one again.

Sounds like the talks may vary per cruise too - some people are saying they actually get good information. Guess I will start gong to the first one each cruise and seeing how that particular cruise presents the talks. Of course, that is only if I'm not in the middle of a good book, conversation, puzzle, etc :)

There's virtually nothing referring to the actual ports (i.e. places of interest, culture, etc.), other than where you can purchase overpriced jewelry (another topic for another thread ... there are dozens of them) and schlock from "recommended" merchants, who pay both the cruise line and the "port and shopping guide" for the privilege. FYI, the latter individuals are not cruise line employees, but independent contractors whose income is derived from commission paid by the merchants. This is why you're always asked by store employees what ship you're on. The "guides" are generally free to negotiate their own compensation arrangements ... many do very well. The really good ones are always scurrying around from store to store, keeping the hype in front of the passengers. If you want to catch a glimpse of the presentation, its run on the ship's TV channel ad nauseum, from the moment of completion until just about the end of the cruise. It's a huge revenue producer for the cruise line.

There's an interesting website that promotes training to be a "port and shopping guide." Take a look ... it's quite revealing ........ http://www.portshopping.com.

Sounds like the talks may vary per cruise too - some people are saying they actually get good information. Guess I will start gong to the first one each cruise and seeing how that particular cruise presents the talks. Of course, that is only if I'm not in the middle of a good book, conversation, puzzle, etc :)

The talks also vary by presenter as not all presenters are created equally. Good decision to attend so you can decide for yourself.

Keith

Archived