Princess Wine List 2011/2012

LARGIN

Thanks Largin,

I like the list and agree that the mark ups are not bad at all. We are happy to bring aboard wine for the balcony, but this confirms my opinion that its not worth the nuisance factor to bring to the MDR and pay corkage unless its VERY special. Also I am sure the wait staff get bonus points if they sell wine at dinner.

So we will plan on buying each night!

Largin, you made my husband's day when he found that they still had the Murietta's Well Meritage. It's his favorite wine. When he first discovered it on Princess, he researched when we got home and found where the winery was. It's "only" about 6 hours away, in the Livermore wine district of California. Now, whenever we are headed that way he stops and stocks up from the winery, since we can't get it anywhere else. Personally, I prefer going on a cruise to get it, rather than driving 6 hours up the central valley. You can be sure that we'll be drinking it next week on the Sapphire.

On our 16 day b2b2b on the Coral ending yesterday we enjoyed Murrieta's Well "The Spur", Shug & Ferrari-Carano Merlots, Frogs Leap Zin, Silverado & Kenwood Jack London Cabs and the Bolla Amarone. Our favorite was "The Spur" Meritage. We had 5 bottles of that wine.. :D

I work at Kenwood Vineyards and am glad to see that the "mark-up" is not so extravagant that folks cannot try different wines. The Jack London Cabernet goes for $30.00 at the Winery, but, can be found at Costco and others for about $18.00- $22.00, with a $15.00 corkage - $33.00 - $37.00 so the price of $48.00 is actually very good.

Thanks for the recommendations...I've enjoyed the Silverado & the Kenwood Jack London Cabs at Chef's Tables & now they're a favorite of mine. :D

Glad you are a fan.

Our go-to in the MDR is usually the Jack London, but I'll be sure to try the Murietta at your suggestion!

Thanks, cheers!

Yippee!!!

I hope if you are ever in the Sonoma Valley you will stop by and see what else we have to offer.

Cheers,

Laurie

I work at Kenwood Vineyards and am glad to see that the "mark-up" is not so extravagant that folks cannot try different wines. The Jack London Cabernet goes for $30.00 at the Winery, but, can be found at Costco and others for about $18.00- $22.00, with a $15.00 corkage - $33.00 - $37.00 so the price of $48.00 is actually very good.

Glad you are a fan.

Yippee!!!

I hope if you are ever in the Sonoma Valley you will stop by and see what else we have to offer.

Cheers,

Laurie

Laurie, we visited Kenwood a long time ago - 1983, our last visit to CA (I think it's time!). We still have our favorite wine bag which we brought there - a dark blue insulated bag that holds two bottles, stamped with the Jack London wolf logo. We still take it everywhere. Things have changed a bit since then out there! I remember when we were there, in February that year, there was a massive flood in wine country. Kenwood was a great stop! Cheers to you!

Nice to see they still have the Opus One on the list. On our last two cruises we went to the "higher" end wine tasting event and were offered a special to purchase a bottle of Opus and get a free dinner for two in any of the specialty restaurants as well as a refund of the $10pp to attend the wine tasting. Turned a $169 bottle of wine into a $100 bottle, which I will take again if offered. Wonderful stuff:)

That is a good deal. A good friend gave us 2 bottles of 2005 Opus and 2 bottles of 2008 Hundred Acre Cab. We are excited about breaking these open for the cruise.

Opus One.. $169

If this is the price for a full bottle this is a deal. We did a tasting of this in Vines on the Ruby and it was about $40. I'm thinking this has to be a 1/2 bottle or a very bad year! Currently if we want to buy this wine in Toronto there are two prices, $189(2005) and $339.

We first had tasted this wine in a Premium wine tasting on the Tahitian Princess in 2003. The ship had a special for a bottle to take home for $99 (regular price at that time was $150). Since it was our honeymoon we dicided to get one. I can't remember the vintage but it was around 1997. We kept that bottle until about 2 years ago. By the time we drank it it was worth over $300.

Since we had moved a few times during the time we had the bottle, we had no idea if it was still any good as it was never stored properly while we were doing renovations. It turned out to be spectacular. The most interesting tasting wine I have ever had.

So, when we saw it on the menu in Vines, we decided to taste it again to see if it was better than ours. It was from a newer vintage and although it was good, it was nearly a good as our old, poorly stored bottle.

We now have a proper wine fridge so if this is the price for a full bottle we might just pick one up!

Opus One.. $169

If this is the price for a full bottle this is a deal. We did a tasting of this in Vines on the Ruby and it was about $40. I'm thinking this has to be a 1/2 bottle or a very bad year! Currently if we want to buy this wine in Toronto there are two prices, $189(2005) and $339.

We first had tasted this wine in a Premium wine tasting on the Tahitian Princess in 2003. The ship had a special for a bottle to take home for $99 (regular price at that time was $150). Since it was our honeymoon we dicided to get one. I can't remember the vintage but it was around 1997. We kept that bottle until about 2 years ago. By the time we drank it it was worth over $300.

Since we had moved a few times during the time we had the bottle, we had no idea if it was still any good as it was never stored properly while we were doing renovations. It turned out to be spectacular. The most interesting tasting wine I have ever had.

So, when we saw it on the menu in Vines, we decided to taste it again to see if it was better than ours. It was from a newer vintage and although it was good, it was nearly a good as our old, poorly stored bottle.

We now have a proper wine fridge so if this is the price for a full bottle we might just pick one up!

The 2005 Opus is actually a very good year. You should try the hundred acre (2008 if possible). Excellent wine and very smooth.

Nice to see they still have the Opus One on the list. On our last two cruises we went to the "higher" end wine tasting event and were offered a special to purchase a bottle of Opus and get a free dinner for two in any of the specialty restaurants as well as a refund of the $10pp to attend the wine tasting. Turned a $169 bottle of wine into a $100 bottle, which I will take again if offered. Wonderful stuff:)

I just saw this after I posted. If this offer is on the Crown we will definitely partake!

Wow! I can get Chateau Se. Michelle at state-owned liquor stores (not known for great prices) for $11.99.

And Rex Goliath goes for $5.99!! And they're charging $26 for that awful wine? And anyone charging $25 for white zin should be shot. :D

Thank you for the list!! I'm sure some wines aren't marked up badly, but others...wow.....

I just got thinking about something.... isn't the Premium wine tasting $25PP? I think the 'regular' wine tasting is $10. So maybe they just refunded $10pp with the wine purchase?

Do you know if they have this deal on the Crown?

Opus One.. $169

I am happy to tell you that it is a FULL bottle not a half. The last one we had was last November going through the Panama Canal on the Island and it was a 2004 vintage in truly excellent shape. I suspect Princess sells very few of these and has a good price to keep them moving through their system and I am happy to take advantage of it.

can be found at Costco and others for about $18.00- $22.

WOW...I've never seen it at Costco but at that price it would go very quickly! :p

Is that for the Jack London cab & not for the regular Kenwood cab? Even when 40% off at Vons/Pavilions it's more expensive than those prices at Costco. :eek:

Laurie, we visited Kenwood a long time ago - 1983, our last visit to CA (I think it's time!). We still have our favorite wine bag which we brought there - a dark blue insulated bag that holds two bottles, stamped with the Jack London wolf logo. We still take it everywhere. Things have changed a bit since then out there! I remember when we were there, in February that year, there was a massive flood in wine country. Kenwood was a great stop! Cheers to you!

We flooded again in 1986, but have been nice and dry since then. Chilly summers have pushed harvest to October instead of Sept, last three years, but grapes are not complaining :D Hope you can swing another visit soon, bring your bag.

WOW...I've never seen it at Costco but at that price it would go very quickly! :p

Is that for the Jack London cab & not for the regular Kenwood cab? Even when 40% off at Vons/Pavilions it's more expensive than those prices at Costco. :eek:

I have seen it once $17.99, at Costco and it went fast...our Sonoma Cab (won gold at the Harvest Fair:)), is $9.99 at Safeway, $20.00 in the tasting room!

Gotta love those discounts, drink up, Dr. Oz says a glass of red wine is good for you!!!!

Laurie

Thanks Largin,

I like the list and agree that the mark ups are not bad at all. We are happy to bring aboard wine for the balcony, but this confirms my opinion that its not worth the nuisance factor to bring to the MDR and pay corkage unless its VERY special. Also I am sure the wait staff get bonus points if they sell wine at dinner.

So we will plan on buying each night!

I am really curious regarding the corkage fee and if people on average are charged on Princess? The reason I ask is the last 3 cruises my DH and I were on with Carnival we brought a case of wine with us. We always brought a bottle to the table for dinner and we have never been charged a corkage fee. Is this a common occurrence with Princess?

Just a little curious to get peoples opinions on their experiences with bringing wine to dinner?

Thanks,

Connie

Archived