Is it Live or is it Memorex?- Allure of the Seas Review September 18-25 with Pics!

nenner1

Our drinks came out shortly. They did have iced tea here- (I expected they would, as the Solarium Bistro does also by day). We also both ordered a Caipirinha- which is the Brazilian National Drink, made of limes, sugar, and sugarcane rum. We had never had them before but were trying to be authentic with our experience. I expected it to be quite sweet, but on the contrary it was tangy, sour and quite boozy. Neither of us cared much for it, but we drank it anyway.

Allure9-19390.jpg

Our server- who actually turned out to be our assistant server/our “Gaucho” explained to us the process and invited us to visit the salad bar. Oh, that salad bar! Do your best not to fill up at it, because so much more is awaiting you, but it is really an amazing selection:

Bread & Cheese:

Allure9-19369.jpg

Salad:

Allure9-19384.jpg

Deli Meats:

Allure9-19386.jpg

Salmon on the left and the delicious little Garlic Toasts on the right (served with olive and mushroom tapenades).

Allure9-19385.jpg

Seafood:

Allure9-19388.jpg

Allure9-19389.jpg

Desserts:

Allure9-19374.jpg

My appetizer plate. Ron warned me not to fill up on “that stuff” and I scoffed.

(Yeah, he was totally right!!!)

Allure9-19379.jpg

After we finished our appetizer plates, we turned the green light on and the carnivore feast began!

Allure9-19397.jpg

First out came the sauces, seen in the picture below on the left. The top (green) one was Chimichurri which had a savory herb pesto type flavor, the middle coarse Sea Salt, and the bottom (red) one was Tomatilla (rich tomatoey flavor). These could be used with any of the meats you wished, but our Gaucho was sure to suggest which sauces properly complemented each of the meat options.

Allure9-19393.jpg

In the center of this picture you can see a plate of grilled veggies which consisted of corn, onion, squash, eggplant, and of course- the ever present RCCL halved tomatoes (EVERYWHERE!) LOL!

Allure9-19394.jpg

Also brought out was a serving of fries and fried plantains to share. Frankly we didn’t waste much time or belly space on the veggies or starches…because….

Here comes the meat!!!

Allure9-19395.jpg

This first cut of meat was the Picanha. This is top sirloin and is billed as Samba Grill’s signature cut of meat. I did think it was delicious. It was juicy and quite flavorful. Our Gaucho paid close attention to how we liked our meat (Ron Med to Med-Rare and me Med-Well), and he would always bring out a skewer with meat that had one side uncut so I could have the outside cut of meat, and one side cut closer down for Ron to also have it cooked to his preference. Great service!

Be sure to have your little tongs ready and grab the piece of meat before it falls to the plate. I let my first few cuts fall before I realized I was supposed to be all up in there with my tongs.

Tongs, don’t be shy!

Allure9-19418.jpg

Allure9-19396.jpg

More, please!

The next cut was Fraldinha, which is bottom sirloin. This was delicious as well, but we both preferred the Picanha that came before it.

Next up is the Frango, tender wrapped chicken breast in bacon. To die for!

Allure9-19398.jpg

I was ALREADY getting so full! We are not even halfway done, here folks!!!

Allure9-19411.jpg

Here comes the Cordeiro (Lamb Chops) I passed this up since I was closing in on my limit, but Ron had two of these and said they were fantastic!!!

Next out was the Beef Tenderloin. Along with the Frango (chicken), this was my favorite. So tender I could cut it with my spoon, smooth, creamy texture, just enough spice encrusting it. It literally melted in my mouth. If I wasn’t already SO FULL I would have had more..And MORE!

At this point my own personal imaginary red light was permanently on. I could take no more. Our table light stayed green for Ron though, since there were several more types of meat to sample!

Next came the Costelo, fall off the bone, juicy beef ribs. Ron thought these were spectacular. I love ribs, but not enough to split my stomach in two so I didn’t try them.

Following the ribs was the Alcarta- more top sirloin. Ron said it tasted much like the rest of the sirloin. He wanted more lamb & ribs, LOL!

Then out came the Lombo: Parmesan cheese and herb crusted pork loin. I’m sorry I was too bloated to even pick up the camera at this point! Haha! Ron said it was good!

Did you think we were finally done?? Of COURSE not, silly! Finally the Linguigo- Brazilian style cured pork sausage came to our table.

(Will it stop now? I surrender already!!!)

But no, our beloved skewer brandishing Gaucho wanted to know if there were any particular cuts of meat we’d like more of (and to gently chide us to leave room for dessert. Hey dude, thanks, but it’s a little too late for that now!) Ron did take a little more of his three favorites: the lamb, ribs, and tenderloin.

Allure9-19415.jpg

Please no more!

Dessert selections were soon presented to us. There was a flan (a lot of flan on this boat. And tomatoes!), a Passion fruit Mango mousse (if I recall correctly) and a Chocolate Torte. We were brought one of each, which was more than enough. I didn’t even try the flan, which Ron said tasted better than the one the evening before at Rita’s. The passion fruit mousse was good, but after one bite we saved the rest for later. The only dessert item we really dug into was the chocolate torte- which was delicious. It was such a shame I was too full to eat more than a bite or two.

Allure9-19420.jpg

We were also offered an after dinner shot (at an extra cost, I think $5) called a “Make Me Happy”. It had a chocolate/caramel/ Kahlua flavor and was quite good.

Allure9-19419.jpg

I was beginning to think that they would have to roll us out of this restaurant like Violet Beauregard after she turned into the blueberry in Willy Wonka, but somehow we managed to make it out under our own power. What a fantastic meal! Completely worth the $25 cover in our opinion and a steal at the discounted price of $12.50 each that we paid. Absolutely outstanding!!

We still had some time before we needed to pick the kids up from the club, so we decided to head back to the room and change to go for a soak in one of the hot tubs. On our way to the room, as we passed AO, we encountered a curious procession of kids out and about on a field trip. It was so adorable- and Look! There’s Sarah!

Allure9-19433.jpg

We would find out later they were on a “Space Walk” looking for “Fuzz Buzz- who they didn’t find. But they did find 18 Aliens! Who knew? Allure of the Seas…featuring cruisers and staff from 83 different nations and at least 2 galaxies!

Both rooms had these particularly large nosed bats to greet us this evening. Sarah named ours “FiFi”

Allure9-19438.jpg

Allure9-19460.jpg

Chocolates on the pillows at night, a nice touch!

Allure9-19446.jpg

Since our room was not a triple, and we wanted Sarah sleeping with us. we had Anthony just make the couch up into a bed (this couch was not a sofa bed, nor did we have a Pullman). It worked well enough, although Sarah did have trouble staying on it. Sometimes we’d find her in some contortionist positions over there. But she didn’t complain!

Allure9-19447.jpg

We went to the Solarium and soaked for a little while, or until I no longer felt like I was going to throw up from being over-stuffed!

Then on the way back to the room, we stopped and picked up the kids. Here they show off their Space Goo they made!

Allure9-19451.jpg

Allure9-19466.jpg

We had brought the remainder of our desserts back to the room with us and Sarah totally appreciated the mousse.

Allure9-19465.jpg

King Julien was down in the boardwalk so Ron took the kids down there for photos:

Allure9-19469.jpg

Allure9-19489.jpg

Allure9-19496.jpg

Allure9-19516.jpg

A little bit of fun!

Allure9-19475.jpg

Allure9-19501.jpg

Allure9-19515.jpg

How in the world they were still going, I’ll never know! We had pre-booked tonight’s CHICAGO performance for 10:30 in case we felt like going. No way was that happening, so a couple of lucky standby folks got to enjoy it on our behalf instead. I’m not really sure the show was our cup of tea anyway; we wanted to see it basically just because it is the ship’s signature show. ..But like a few other things, it will have to wait until next time!

Up next: Character Breakfast and a Fun-Filled Day at Sea

Love, Love your review so far. The more details and pictures the better:)

Thanks so much for reading! I think I can oblige! LOL! ;)

Your review is awesome as are the photos. Lovely looking family.

We are on the Allure Jan 3rd and learning all we can before we go.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for all of us.

Kathy:)

You are so welcome, I am glad you are enjoying it!! Have a great time planning for your cruise!!:)

I continue to enjoy your beautiful photos and amazing description of the ship and your family vacation. :D Thanks for taking all the time and effort to do this for all of us.

Only 8 days until we board the Allure.

You are so welcome! I love that everyone is really liking it and finding it useful!:)

Thanks so much... reviews like yours will make the next five months a little more bearable!!!

Can you tell me where you got your Allure door decorations?

Sure! Being that you're a "skrapngal", LOL, you'll understand what I am talking about. I do a lot of digital scrapping and most of what my door decorations were made out of digital scrapbooking kits. I got one from Mymemories.com called just "Cruise" I think (this was a few months ago), that is the kit I made the "Three Amigos" magnet from. The clip art is just Shrek clip art I found on the net.

The light blue "Gypsies in the Palace" magnet was our main one I worked on for a while. The boat extraction and clip art collage of Dreamworks characters I assembled myself. I don't remember which kit I used the papers from.

'Goat on a Boat' I also made, that one also with pic from the web. I did have to extract the goat. LOL! :cool:

Everything else I got elsewhere, mostly from the Dis (disboards.com). :) Hope that helps a bit!! Thanks for reading!!

Can you list some of the food available at the Boardwalk Bar?

I remember reading corn dogs...forgot if food there is no charge and know drinks must be purchased. Can guests with soda package get mugs filled there?

Thanks!

Gosh, I don't recall seeing any food at the Boardwalk Bar. I actually hung out there for a while at a table there while everyone else was on the rock wall later in the week but I just can't recall seeing any food, I'm sorry!!

Yes, you can get your mugs refilled there, though! :)

Thanks for reading!!!!

Edited by nenner1

Thanks for all the great pics. Thank you for getting us all ready for our next vacation.

Thanks again....Sharon;)

You are so welcome Sharon! :D I am so very happy to pump everyone up for this awesome cruise!!!

FYI everyone- Jen is currently working on a nice long update. She wanted to do it last night, but after putting a couple of hours into it she did not have enough to post a worthwhile update (according to her). I think she'll have it ready within the next hour or so. I hope...;)

Thanks for helping out, hun! you're the best! :)

Sure! Being that you're a "skrapngal", LOL, you'll understand what I am talking about. I do a lot of digital scrapping and most of what my door decorations were made out of digital scrapbooking kits. I got one from Mymemories.com called just "Cruise" I think (this was a few months ago), that is the kit I made the "Three Amigos" magnet from. The clip art is just Shrek clip art I found on the net.

The light blue "Gypsies in the Palace" magnet was our main one I worked on for a while. The boat extraction and clip art collage of Dreamworks characters I assembled myself. I don't remember which kit I used the papers from.

'Goat on a Boat' I also made, that one also with pic from the web. I did have to extract the goat. LOL! :cool:

Everything else I got elsewhere, mostly from the Dis (disboards.com). :) Hope that helps a bit!! Thanks for reading!!

That's great... I'm not much of a digital scrapper, I prefer the tactile feel of working with paper. I have already picked up a few (who am I kidding!!! quite a lot) of cruise paper and embellishments (even though this will be my first cruise). I was specifically thinking of the lifebuoy one with Allure of the seas preprinted on it. Would make a great title page!

Hey Nenner1, I was the that posted upthread about also having the S3IS. Just an FYI, Canon is coming out with the SX40IS this month. Just discovered it on the Canon forum.

Even though mine is still working, I do believe that it is just a matter of time, before, :(. It looks VERY promising!!! I will have to check it out when in gets in my local Best Buy!!!

Oh, still enjoying your review and pics!!!

What a great review. This makes me desperately want to take another cruise. It's been almost 2 years since freedom but with 3 busy kids finding the time is so hard. Can't wait to read more of your review and to continue to 'cruise' with your wonderful family!

Great job!!

Barb

Great review. I am enjoying seeing the pictures of all the fun your family had on this cruise. Keep it coming and this is getting me even more excited for our upcoming Allure cruise 3 weeks from today!

I am LOVING your review and all the pics. Looks like an awesome family vacation. We are booked on the Allure for Dec 2012 which we are so looking forward to . I was salivating looking at all your pics of the Samba Grille so I just called and made a reservation at a new Brazilian Steakhouse that just opened in our city. I don't know if they have a dancer but if the food is half as good as the Samba Grille looks, I'll be happy . Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed review and I look forward to the next installment.

That's great... I'm not much of a digital scrapper, I prefer the tactile feel of working with paper. I have already picked up a few (who am I kidding!!! quite a lot) of cruise paper and embellishments (even though this will be my first cruise). I was specifically thinking of the lifebuoy one with Allure of the seas preprinted on it. Would make a great title page!

Well ask and you shall receive, here is where you can go download it!!! :D

http://www.4shared.com/photo/UX5GuzGp/Allure_of_the_Seas_preserver.html?

I agree about it being an awesome title!! :)

Hey Nenner1, I was the that posted upthread about also having the S3IS. Just an FYI, Canon is coming out with the SX40IS this month. Just discovered it on the Canon forum.

Even though mine is still working, I do believe that it is just a matter of time, before, :(. It looks VERY promising!!! I will have to check it out when in gets in my local Best Buy!!!

Oh, still enjoying your review and pics!!!

Wow that sounds great!!! I will absolutely check that out!!! I am for sure a Canon girl- the P&S we bought is a Nikon and I don't love it. LOL! Thanks for the heads up!!! :)

What a great review. This makes me desperately want to take another cruise. It's been almost 2 years since freedom but with 3 busy kids finding the time is so hard. Can't wait to read more of your review and to continue to 'cruise' with your wonderful family!

Great job!!

Barb

Thanks so much for reading Barb- I agree cruising with 3 busy kiddos schedules is not the easiest! Glad you are enjoying the virtual trip!!:)

Thanks for taking the time to review and for the great pix. Two more weeks and I'll be on her!

What night did you go to Samba Grille?

You are so welcome! Glad you are enjoying it!

Samba Grill was night 2 (Monday) for us.

Ron

Yes, like Ron said night 2 (Monday). We decided to go that day when we read about the special. For the record the special- which is not advertised on all cruises- is offered to MTD passengers on nights 1 and 2. Had we known in advance that we would have gotten it for the special price, we would have booked the kids as well. There were quite a few families there when we were. It's loud and festive so kids fit in nicely. Haha!

Great review. I am enjoying seeing the pictures of all the fun your family had on this cruise. Keep it coming and this is getting me even more excited for our upcoming Allure cruise 3 weeks from today!

Thanks so much for reading, it truly was a blast like no other. You will have a great time on yours too! :D

Yippppeeee! Another installment has been posted. I'm off to settle in and catch up! :D

Oh my gosh! I feel stuffed just looking at all the Samba Grill pics! I'm totally relating because I feel the same way after eating at 'Ohana! Can't wait to read about the character breakfast. Thanks for a great review!

Yeah, just looking at them makes me recall that feeling all too well also! :eek:

I am disappointed in myself for not getting to try so much. I guess it just means I'll have to go again!!!

Working on the character Breakfast installment now- hpoefully it will be up tonight- or tomorrow at latest!

I am LOVING your review and all the pics. Looks like an awesome family vacation. We are booked on the Allure for Dec 2012 which we are so looking forward to . I was salivating looking at all your pics of the Samba Grille so I just called and made a reservation at a new Brazilian Steakhouse that just opened in our city. I don't know if they have a dancer but if the food is half as good as the Samba Grille looks, I'll be happy . Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed review and I look forward to the next installment.

Thanks so much for the compliments!! I'm so glad you are enjoying it! WE have not been to Texas de Brazil or Boizao in our area, but I know now when we crave Samba that is where we will go! It will be interesting to see how it compares, I've heard Texas De Brazil is AMAZING!!:D

I am so enjoying your review! We are thinking of cruising on the Allure next spring and you are giving us a great inside view of the ship and what it has to offer.

One question I have has to do with Starbucks. Is the charge for their coffee drinks the same as ashore or do they have special prices for the ship? Thanks in advance.:)

I am so enjoying your review! We are thinking of cruising on the Allure next spring and you are giving us a great inside view of the ship and what it has to offer.

One question I have has to do with Starbucks. Is the charge for their coffee drinks the same as ashore or do they have special prices for the ship? Thanks in advance.:)

They are actually the same.:) Every drink I tried was as good or even better than Starbucks on land. I love Pumpkin Spice Lattes and I had at least 3. I also had a great Java Chip Frap.:cool:

Ron