Rumrunners Caught??

lukeduke07

who cruise a lot and refuse to go on lines that get all mickey mouse, high school about liquor.

funny you should say that - Mickey Mouse or rather DCL allow you to bring on an unlimited amount of alcohol on their cruise ships - of course the cruise cost is generally at least twice what I pay for Carnival.

I think allowing a a limited amount, say a single bottle per party (rather than adult passenger) would increase onboard sales.

Same with NFL tailgating. In the parking lot, ANYTHING GOES. Once you get in, does the fact that folks have spent the day drinking and eating diminish the long lines for food and drinks?? Nope.

I attend both types of events regularly and tailgate at every home game an NASCAR event I attend. Guess what, I still buy food and drinks when I get inside the stadium/track.

What you get is a bunch of content customers that are more amenable to continuing to spend money.

Carnival already does this - when you stop at each port (in your analogy the parking lot) you can eat and drink cheaply - go to the liquor store and grab a bottle to enjoy on land. When you get back on the ship (inside the stadium) you have to purchase their products.

So your analogy just goes to strengthen the fact that you shouldn't smuggle if you believe what Nascar and NFL does is right - because Carnival is doing the exact same thing.

Unless of course you hide a rum runner in your pocket when you go to one of those events.

Maybe if BV prices weren't so out of line more people would do that. I would much rather pay for a bottle of Maker's Mark for my husband but I sure am not going to pay $70 for a bottle. I can understand some mark up but to about double the cost is outrageous. I bet that Carnival would find if they make their BV prices more reasonable they would sell more and have less smuggling.

Carnival already does this - when you stop at each port (in your analogy the parking lot) you can eat and drink cheaply - go to the liquor store and grab a bottle to enjoy on land. When you get back on the ship (inside the stadium) you have to purchase their products.

So your analogy just goes to strengthen the fact that you shouldn't smuggle if you believe what Nascar and NFL does is right

You obviously didn't get the point of all that which is if they weren't continuing to rack up the money on concessions they would have stopped (allowing tailgating, bringing in of alcohol etc..)this decades ago. I just find it humorous when everyone thinks this will somehow be the financial undoing of Carnival if people don't buy their drinks. The business models of the number 1 & 2 most popular spectator sports (and thus two of the largest business entities) in the US beg to differ.

...because Carnival is doing the exact same thing.

Umm...not really.

Unless of course you hide a rum runner in your pocket when you go to one of those events.

Umm...there's no hiding when you are ALLOWED to bring in beer (NASCAR events specifically). But again, that was not the overall point of my post. I've also always wondered how much of that confiscated liquor ends up in their watered down drinks?? Perhaps smugglers that get caught are actually helping their bottom line...:p

I did RR's once and had no problem. On the last cruise I did BonVoyage and that was a lot easier and only a little bit more expensive. I think I'm a BV convert.

I was until they jacked up the prices... back to the smuggling

Maybe if BV prices weren't so out of line more people would do that. I would much rather pay for a bottle of Maker's Mark for my husband but I sure am not going to pay $70 for a bottle. I can understand some mark up but to about double the cost is outrageous. I bet that Carnival would find if they make their BV prices more reasonable they would sell more and have less smuggling.

Completely agree. And last year? I went through all kinds of hassle because BV srewed things up.

First, a friend of ours had a bottle of Veuve Cliquot delivered for our sailaway celebration. It was turned. Brought it down for a replacement bottle and missed sailaway completely.

Second, I ordered a bottle of KetelOne? They delivered....Schmirnoff....NOT exactly the same thing :eek:. Again, another hassle to try to get it replaced.

I will most likely order a bottle of Absolut for the upcoming cruise from BV for my bloody marys - maybe the Ketel threw them. ;)

Completely agree. And last year? I went through all kinds of hassle because BV srewed things up.

First, a friend of ours had a bottle of Veuve Cliquot delivered for our sailaway celebration. It was turned. Brought it down for a replacement bottle and missed sailaway completely.

Second, I ordered a bottle of KetelOne? They delivered....Schmirnoff....NOT exactly the same thing :eek:. Again, another hassle to try to get it replaced.

I will most likely order a bottle of Absolut for the upcoming cruise from BV for my bloody marys - maybe the Ketel threw them. ;)

Not only are things like this a possibility, but if you cruise out of Galveston, your bottle WILL NOT be there waiting for you. You get it sometime the next day because of some sort of Texas liquor laws.

I'm constantly amazed by the time and effort people put into cheating the system. If they put as much into their job they might be the manager of McDonalds by now, not just taking orders for the drive through.:rolleyes:

That was

Oops, sorry. I had to Extra Size the last order. That was funny!

Kevin C

Completely agree. Last year I bought from BV and would again if they didn't get so greedy. Carnival is just asking for people to smuggle.

Can you purchase BEER from the Bon Voyage department?

Or is buying the drink cards the way to go for BEER?:rolleyes:

I just called BV about purchasing BEER, they said you can order up to 24 cans in advance at $4.95 each - Gee Whizzz that's only $60 a 12 pack!!! :eek:

I just called BV about purchasing BEER, they said you can order up to 24 cans in advance at $4.95 each - Gee Whizzz that's only $60 a 12 pack!!! :eek:

Captive audience!! I remember a few years ago we were at some sort of summer festival. They had $3.00 domestic 12oz cans of beer and we remember being soooooo excited that we were paying 3x the normal cost of a beer than the usual 6-10x (compared to store cost)!!

As long as people continue to buy at inflated prices, they will continue to charge inflated prices.

I wonder what the situation would be if you weren't allowed to bring water onboard and had to pay for drinking water on cruises (as silly as that sounds there are plenty of places you can travel where paying for drinking water is normal)? Would all these holier than though non liquor smugglers be posting about their techniques for smuggling Perrier on board? :p

What else would you call it you are taking money from the sale of alcohol that rightly belongs to Carnival! Just because Carnival doesn't punish offenders they still see it as a problem, otherwise they would allow people to bring it on without restrictions.

Carnival states their liquor policy is not to protect profits:

"A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board."

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/09/what-is-the-liquor-and-beverage-policy.aspx

By your reasoning, if you tried to walk out of the onboard store

with a bottle of liquor without paying (obviously stealing) Carnival

would not punish you.

Let's face it, if Carnival really saw smuggling as a problem, they could

simply make a policy that states anyone caught smuggling liquor would

be disembarked and fares would not be refunded.

i wouldn't risk it overseas, but yes you can pack 2 8oz rr's in your pants no problem

I thing they were asking if they could take them aboard the plane. That would be a no and you wouldn't want to get caught trying to smuggle liquid on board a plain.

The limit of liquid on a plane is 3 oz.

Not only are things like this a possibility, but if you cruise out of Galveston, your bottle WILL NOT be there waiting for you. You get it sometime the next day because of some sort of Texas liquor laws.

You can sometimes get around this by ordering from room service later in the evening. They have to be in interntional waters.

What?? :eek: I just order a couple of weeks ago and was charged $5.95 a beer...a whopping $143 big ones...What ship are you on? I wonder if prices vary on different ships...

I think allowing a a limited amount, say a single bottle per party (rather than adult passenger) would increase onboard sales.

Using the NASCAR model is a good comparison. Not only can you tailgate (eating and drinking anything you want), at nearly every track on the circuit you are also allowed to bring a certain size cooler (track specified) with everything but hard liquor (food, beer, sodas and pretty much anything else goes) with you into the track. In spite of this, the lines for beer and food are still ridiculous. If they were losing money this would not be allowed.

Same with NFL tailgating. In the parking lot, ANYTHING GOES. Once you get in, does the fact that folks have spent the day drinking and eating diminish the long lines for food and drinks?? Nope.

I attend both types of events regularly and tailgate at every home game an NASCAR event I attend. Guess what, I still buy food and drinks when I get inside the stadium/track.

What you get is a bunch of content customers that are more amenable to continuing to spend money.

I gon't disagree with that, but it should be up to Carnival to make the offer. Instead the make a rule then have to spend time and money to catch cheaters.

Carnival states their liquor policy is not to protect profits:

"A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board."

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/09/what-is-the-liquor-and-beverage-policy.aspx

By your reasoning, if you tried to walk out of the onboard store

with a bottle of liquor without paying (obviously stealing) Carnival

would not punish you.

Let's face it, if Carnival really saw smuggling as a problem, they could

simply make a policy that states anyone caught smuggling liquor would

be disembarked and fares would not be refunded.

I wish they would!

Archived