Rumrunners Caught??

lukeduke07

Last year my wife and I sailed out of Mobile on the Elation. I packed my rumrunners tightly rolled up in clothes in my checked bags. When my bags did show up to my room I had to go looking for them. Once i found it the rumrunners had been found but placed in a Carnival drawstring bag and put back in my luggage. Anyone else had this happen?

I Will be on Destiny in january and dont want to get caught again. (although i really didnt get caught then just hassled)

Any tips on how to pack them in our checked bags?

Sounds a bit strange to me:confused: Must of had a kind security person.

But if you insist on using RRs, use the smaller sizes and put them in your pants/shorts pockets. Cargo style pants and shorts work great for this. If you're bring the 32 oz sizers on board, pack them the way RR recommends and hope for the best. Good luck!

I think the best way to pack them is with the cosmetics and shoes. You have to think density, and how the xray will look from the top of the luggage.

I spread ours out between two suitcases.

I piled them at the top of my makeup bag, and made sure that things like toothpaste and hairspray were layered directly on top of or under the rum runners.

I also placed a few with the shoes. I put the runners in a ziplock bag inside of the tennis shoes, and packed the shoes so that on the scanner the rum runners were on top of the thick rubbery sole of the shoe.

We definitely over packed on the alcohol, expecting that some might not make it aboard. Turns out, every single one of them made it just fine

Just a heads up. CCL has been monitoring RR threads to find out how to's.

More so since this past summer. All the ports have been cracking down.

I just read a review over on CCL forum that they were confiscated from luggage on a cruise last week.

They got our mixers as they were 32oz instead of the 20oz max.

As far as the crack down on smuggling, I hope they redouble there efforts and put an end to it so we all can move on.

I did RR's once and had no problem. On the last cruise I did BonVoyage and that was a lot easier and only a little bit more expensive. I think I'm a BV convert.

If you lose your alcohol plus your rum runners, BV is probably cheaper.

Just a heads up. CCL has been monitoring RR threads to find out how to's.

More so since this past summer. All the ports have been cracking down.

I just read a review over on CCL forum that they were confiscated from luggage on a cruise last week.

Kind of like prisoners discussing how they're going to escape within earshot of the warden :)

We really BARELY use what we smuggle.. hahaha Pretty sure we just do it for the excitement!!! (BV would take the excitement out of it!) ;) We would be disappointed but not put out if they didn't make it and they got tossed... my drinks NEVER taste as good as an official DOD!

On that note... I guess I'll keep my secrets private... :) BUT

I think it's weird and LUCKY that someone put it back in your stuff in a Carnival bag... must have been some kind of nice screener!

Why not just empty out a few bottles of water and pour the alcohol into them?

Because they now check the threads of the screw on caps and shake the bottles to see how the bubbles behave. Apparently there is a difference between water bubbles and alcohol bubbles (according to some).

Last year my wife and I sailed out of Mobile on the Elation. I packed my rumrunners tightly rolled up in clothes in my checked bags. When my bags did show up to my room I had to go looking for them. Once i found it the rumrunners had been found but placed in a Carnival drawstring bag and put back in my luggage. Anyone else had this happen?

I Will be on Destiny in january and dont want to get caught again. (although i really didnt get caught then just hassled)

Any tips on how to pack them in our checked bags?

:confused:

Cruised last year, now just talking about having someone find your rum runners and "letting you know" - "I see you!" And letting you keep the find?..

HMMmmm, I guess it needs to be said. "HEY ALL SMUGGLERS - TIGHTLY WRAP YOUR RUM RUNNERS IN YOUR CLOTHES AND YOU GET A FREE DRAW STRING BAG!"

Why not just empty out a few bottles of water and pour the alcohol into them?

1) If you are talking about the water that you can carry on, they will shake the bottles, and it would only work with vodka anyways.

2) If you mean using water bottles in your checked bags instead of RR's, it seems the bottles are more visible on the xray than a RR is. That being said, I smuggled my liquor on 2 years ago on the Conquest using liter water bottles and had no problems.

Kind of like prisoners discussing how they're going to escape within earshot of the warden :)

Here is the problem with that comparison. If the warden was trying to stop 9,000 prisoners all escaping at the same time (even if he kinda knew what to look for) and only had a couple hours to do it, chances are he would not be catching very many.

Every smuggling thread talks about big brother watching over, yet ignores the reality of the numbers. Everything they need to know to stop smuggling all together has already been discussed on this forum, yet people still get there goodies to their cabin. You do the math.

Im a former rum runner converted to BV its really so much easier and not that much more money

I was thinking of ordering my rum through Bon Voyage for our Legend cruise last week.

But I just could not bring myself to pay $55 for 1 liter of rum.

When I could get 1.75 liters of the exact same rum at Sam's Club liquor store for $20.49 after tax.

Just made sure to buy the plastic bottle and packed it in my luggage and it made it on just fine.

(sorry but not going to mention in here where I packed the rum to ensure it made it through)

I just can't see how paying triple the cost for Bon Voyage is such a great deal?

Bill

I was thinking of ordering my rum through Bon Voyage for our Legend cruise last week.

When I could get 1.75 liters of the exact same rum at Sam's Club liquor store for $20.49 after tax.

Just made sure to buy the plastic bottle and packed it in my luggage and it made it on just fine.

(sorry but not going to mention in here where I packed the rum to ensure it made it through)

I just can't see how paying triple the cost for Bon Voyage is such a great deal?

Bill

I don't think anyone said BV was a "great deal".. I believe it was "easier and not that much more money"... which I agree with.

It's not that much money and 0 time has to be devoted to ordering, buying rum runners, planning smuggling strategies, worrying, etc etc. So yeah not a great deal but with no worry, no hassle, it's not all that bad , either!

:cool:

Bill

It all depends how you look at the price .... Say you were to buy 20 drinks on board at $6. each that would be $120 plus 15% added .. If you buy that same liquor from BV and make 20 drinks for $55 you would be saving $65 and no extra 15%.

Use the allotted carry-on non alcoholic drinks for mixers and if needed you can buy more while in ports.

It all depends how you look at the price .... Say you were to buy 20 drinks on board at $6. each that would be $120 plus 15% added .. If you buy that same liquor from BV and make 20 drinks for $55 you would be saving $65 and no extra 15%.

Use the allotted carry-on non alcoholic drinks for mixers and if needed you can buy more while in ports.

True.

Compared to individual drink prices on the ship it is cheaper.

I always find the gap is still too much and it isn't any hassle to pack a full bottle in the checked luggage.

Besides if they ever do get wise to my method, it is just more rum for home .

Bill

Bill

Last week I did my order and I bought rum ,Bacardi limon and appleton and they were both $40. at my local liquor store they would be about $28-$30.For me not worth the trouble anymore

Archived