What's up with Bermuda?

JMHAM1

We just got back from Bermuda on Sept 30th. If you like the heat you will like Bermuda. It was HOT and somewhat humid. Like many others I stayed on the ship 2 out of the 3 days as it was just too hot. But that is the joy of cruising. You do not have to leave the ship if you do not want to. Hubby went to the beach to snorkel and I stayed onboard. We had been to Bermuda 2 years ago in Sept and it was hot also but not quite as hot as this time. The weather can be very unpredictable.

Ophelia brushed by about 130 miles east of us as a Cat 3 hurricane last night but it had no, if not very little, impact to the island as she was a small hurricane in size. But we got some surf along South Shore.

The reason why Gem got diverted to PC and Bahamas was that both Katia's and Maria's paths were between Bermuda and New York. Neither of them fortunately hit us directly but we got bad weather - rain and wind. The coast along south shore were closed to swimmers. So it was a good call IMHO the captain made to divert - otherwise pax would experience rough seas and awful weather on island.

Last year we were on a back-to-back cruise - first leg Western and second leg Eastern but the latter was diverted to Western because of TS Earl. Although we were disappointed because it'd be our first visit to St. Maarten, we were GLAD of the change as we prefer calm seas and good weather to rough and bad.

Bermuda was SO HOT and SUNNY beautiful puffy clouds, the water was about 80 the sea's were calm... IT was a fantastic 3 days and cruising home was great too, a little rain on Saturday till about noon, than the captain got us out of the rain and back into sunshine and calm seas! We all have beautiful tans that were covering up with blue jeans and sweat shirts, I hope this storm didn't cause much damage, It was strange IF they were concerened about it, as of Friday afternoon NOT one store keeper lead on to it,

My 3rd cruise to Bermuda will begin Sunday on 10/9 on Norwegian Gem - WOOHOOicon4.gif. I love Bermuda and I love being docked for 3 days. This is what cruising is all about. No getting up early to go ashore - everything is on your own schedule. The ferry and bus systems are very easy to use and the beaches are beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
gelo7 wrote: ....I need to book a cruise to Bermuda....

Join us on HAL's Veendam for the May 6, 2012 cruise for the longest stay in Bermuda w/o flying plus docking in Hamilton!

SBtS

SailBad...where is the thread for your Veendam Roll Call? Someone else is looking for it...please.

Bermuda has been hammered with hurricanes and weather this year and it looks like another is on its way this weekend.

I would like to get your opinion on Bermuda. Are there months that are too cold to be in the water comfortably? What are the best months to go?

What do you like and what did you miss?

How is it docked for 3 days vs moving port to port? This is the reason we have not done Bermuda. I thought I would miss the sailing overnight and waking up to a new port feeling.

I have cruised to Bermuda in May, June & July.

Our May cruise, about 10 years ago, was cool and rainy, there wasn't much time for the beach. In those days the Majesty docked in St. George for three days. We did manage a few hours at Tobacco Bay beach, shopped, visited the crystal Caves, and rode around touring on the public bus.

Our June & July cruises offered better weather and more beach time. Now, ships dock for 2 1/2 days at Kings Wharf. I prefer being in one port for 2-3 days, not worrying about missing the ship until the last call.

We're thinking about another Bermuda cruise next summer-----probably June. It all depends upon our vacation schedules from work.

Archived