More than One Entree

crusinpeg

Just curious...when presented with the Princess menu there are many times when it is really difficult to choose between two entrees. I know you can order whatever and how much you want but just wondering how many have no problem with ordering more than one entree?

Just curious...when presented with the Princess menu there are many times when it is really difficult to choose between two entrees. I know you can order whatever and how much you want but just wondering how many have no problem with ordering more than one entree?

Yes by all means order away! :)

If you can eat two, order two.

My personal issue isn't with two entrees for one person, it's the wasted food. Two primary reasons is it helps keep cruise prices high and wasted food is just such a huge waste!

I understand it's very difficult to communicate to wait staff about getting a tasting portion of two entrees.

My mother first had the problem in the 70's- asked for a combined steak & lobster dinner and got two full entrees. Here we are 30 years later and I'm reading the same issues on CC.

Agreed, just don't be wasteful. Sometimes we have asked for just the meat portion of a second entree, but it comes up from the kitchen with the whole plate and the waiter then has to replate it, so now we don't make them do that extra for us. I myself can't eat all of that, so sometimes we'll order the second entree to share between two people, that way there is no waste. We were on a cruise once and sat next to a family of two parents and their grown (and very good looking) sons who were some kind of soccer celebrities in Germany I think. Every night of the cruise they each ordered two complete meals and the wait staff (as we)were very amused at how much food those two could put away. They were very tall 6'8 or taller and muscular ( they could have been models). We took to calling them the Big Boys. One of our favorite memories!

Sometimes, people I cruise with order an entree, such as the Fettucini Alfredo, as an appetizer and it comes in a smaller size.

I often have the tournedos and have asked to have just one on the plate. They tell me it comes with two so being "wasteful" isn't always the person's fault.

My personal issue isn't with two entrees for one person, it's the wasted food. Two primary reasons is it helps keep cruise prices high and wasted food is just such a huge waste!

I understand it's very difficult to communicate to wait staff about getting a tasting portion of two entrees.

My mother first had the problem in the 70's- asked for a combined steak & lobster dinner and got two full entrees. Here we are 30 years later and I'm reading the same issues on CC.

It's not so much that it's difficult to communicate that desire, it's just a pain for them to follow through. Unless there's a food allergy or very special request, the food isn't made to order, so it's difficult and disruptive to the flow to custom order a plate of food just the way you like it.

You ever wonder why they don't have some kind of computer system to send orders back to the kitchen?

There's no need... all the food is pre-plated. The parts of the kitchen that your sever goes to is pretty much just one big buffet. (Minor exception, the steaks, which are cooked to order, are then slid on to plates with pre-plated sides.)

When your server has time, he just goes to the back, loads up a platter with the right plates from the right stations, and then heads back out. Because of this, reduced-size entrees, side-less entrees, etc. pretty much don't exist, or just involve the waiter throwing away food.

BTW, this is why there is frequent advice to discuss special dietary needs with the Head Waiter well ahead of time. Special orders not pre-planned really gum up the works.

I have no problem! Sometimes the entree looks so good when placed in front of your tablemate. I have ordered another entree at that time.

As for quantity - in May 2000 on an Alaskan cruise (notice I remember it well) - our tablemate ordered 7 lobster entrees! The waiter smiled the entire time.

Shirley

They tell me it comes with two so being "wasteful" isn't always the person's fault.

I really wasn't blaming people. Like I said, my mother had the problem 30 years ago and it's not fixed yet.

The fault lies with the cruise line, here. They get these requests constantly, so there should be a mechanism in place to care for it.

Having only worked in restaurants for a short time, years ago, I've no idea what that would be, but in this day of advanced technology, it shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

Many of us try try to do multiple orders but specify only 1 side or a smaller portion. The problem is that the way the dinners are plated in the kitchen, you get everything that comes with it. It obviously makes it easier for the kitchen but results in wasted food.

DON

Many times on lobster/shrimp scampi nights...the waiter will have some additional trays that just have that on it and will come around and offer you some additional ones on your plate...at least in my past cruises this has been done.

Saw one of our tablemates order Three steaks in the steakhouse waiter just smiled and said you can have whatever you want even wrapped half the last steak up to go:D The guy wasn't an inch over 5 foot 5 and didnt weigh more than 150.I tried ordering an extra steak on rcl in the steakhouse and they laughed like i was crazy said one per person.Thats why i love:D princess.

Mr and Lil Mr.Qt have ordered multiples of lobster but request that the veg not be added......usually it has not been a problem, I could totally see them plating some plates just for that reason, otherwise? No ordering more then 1 entree.....I agree with sirirish if they are hungry later ...well there is always food around.

I agree about all the wasted food. I might want a second steak, but none of the other sides that come with it. For this reason, I have never ordered a second entree. If I am still hungry; there are additional alternatives to get some food.

It's too bad the cruise line cant just bring you a second steak, instead you feel horrible about waste and do not get what you want. There has got to be a better way!

Oh yes, you can certainly order more than one entree!

For instance, on lobster/scampi night, I wolfed down two of those. (A table-mate had THREE :eek:) Of course, I had to be wheeled to my room. LOL!

On the last night of our trip, the steak nice, but the sides were really kind of.. .well.. meh. So I asked our waiter for an order of mussels as well, which I shared with my wife. DAMN those were tasty. :)

Order away!

Many times on lobster/shrimp scampi nights...the waiter will have some additional trays that just have that on it and will come around and offer you some additional ones on your plate...at least in my past cruises this has been done.

Years ago we got complete dinners plated when we asked for more crab legs. I know that on lobster/scampi/crab leg night they are now bringing out extras without all the side dishes.

When they serve escargot I always get two and nothing goes to waste.:D

Archived