More than One Entree

crusinpeg

Just curious...when presented with the Princess menu there are many times when it is really difficult to choose between two entrees. I know you can order whatever and how much you want but just wondering how many have no problem with ordering more than one entree?

On our last cruise, we commonly asked for extra entrees and shared them around the table. There were eight of us and twelve entrees on the table. The wait staff were great and had no problem with us ordering extras. On our first cruise, one of our table mates couldn't choose one night between the steak and roast turkey. So, she decided based on the sides that came with it (she choose the steak) and asked for a serving of the turkey to be added to the plate. They had no problem filling her request - I only wished that I had thought of it before I ordered.

I am impressed that the entree serving sizes on Princess are not obnoxiously huge! If that was all I was having it wouldn't be enough, but when you add in the starter, salad, bread, and dessert it is plenty filling! There is always enough room for wine too!:D

I am impressed that the entree serving sizes on Princess are not obnoxiously huge! If that was all I was having it wouldn't be enough, but when you add in the starter, salad, bread, and dessert it is plenty filling! There is always enough room for wine too!:D

I agree and I am not too full that I can't eat the olive that comes in my Martini either.:D

Why do think it’s called the all you can waste buffet?

I’ve always found this line of thinking a little inconsistent. Cruise ships are the epitome of waste. Tons of oil used to needlessly push around restaurants, hotel, shopping, etc. Stand on the back watch the exhaust plume linger above the wake. I don’t know why people don’t care much about this, but then get all bent out of shape because some broccoli end up in the trash.

but then get all bent out of shape because some broccoli end up in the trash. [/font][/size]

You bring up an excellent point. My position on this is extremely nuanced and well thought-out. I can't get into it without getting political, so I'll just say that wasting food (specifically animals,) is (in my opinion) worse than some other types of waste. (But all waste is bad.)

You really diminish the excellent and fair point you bring up by reducing the incredible amount of food that gets tossed, down to a few pieces of broccoli.

It's no wonder the US has the highest obesity rate in the world. Princess gives you a serving size. It makes me sick when I see these cruisers eating 5 lobster tails and 1 of every dessert. I agree though that if you do order something that you eat it all, not just the part you want. I also agree with the poster above where everyone shares their meal (family style).

You bring up an excellent point. My position on this is extremely nuanced and well thought-out. I can't get into it without getting political, so I'll just say that wasting food (specifically animals,) is (in my opinion) worse than some other types of waste. (But all waste is bad.)

You really diminish the excellent and fair point you bring up by reducing the incredible amount of food that gets tossed, down to a few pieces of broccoli.

Totally agree. It is a huge waste. If they would limit everyone to only one entee, there would be huge savings. Go to the buffet if you want 6 servings of something. I find it hilarious after running in the gym for an hour next to someone walking then noticing that person at the buffet with tons of bacon and pancakes. What is the point.

You are correct. It just seems that it is the non-animal foods are the ones that get wasted. No one ever orders a second lobster dinner, eats the asparagus and then tosses the lobster.

No one ever orders a second lobster dinner, eats the asparagus and then tosses the lobster.[/font][/color]

Hang out in the buffet. People leave plates with PILES of food on them as they run up the buffet to get more food.

Everyone loses sense when it comes to cruise food. Nobody thinks, "Hey, I've never tasted this before and I'm not sure I'll like it. Why don't I take a small amount to taste and come back for more when I'm sure I want it."

Serious shame.

Hang out in the buffet. People leave plates with PILES of food on them as they run up the buffet to get more food.

Everyone loses sense when it comes to cruise food. Nobody thinks, "Hey, I've never tasted this before and I'm not sure I'll like it. Why don't I take a small amount to taste and come back for more when I'm sure I want it."

Serious shame.

"The all you can waste buffet."

I think the problem is that the food in the buffet is often not very good. I have done the same thing; grabbed something that looked good and then when I tried to eat it, it was terrible. To blame the customer who takes it is a little misplaced. No one is going to eat it.

I approach all buffets (land and sea) the same way.

First plate: Very small amounts of a bunch of different things for tasting

Second plate: Meal sized portions of the stuff I actually like and will eat

Much less waste, much more satisfied me!

[quote name='Kmkub']I approach all buffets (land and sea) the same way.

First plate: Very small amounts of a bunch of different things for tasting

Second plate: Meal sized portions of the stuff I actually like and will eat

Much less waste, much more satisfied me![/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I think this is done to save money. If they did serve plates that had only lobster and steak on them, you would eat more lobster and steak. They like to put a lot of cheaper food in front of you to fill up on.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='77Network'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I think this is done to save money. If they did serve plates that had only lobster and steak on them, you would eat more lobster and steak. They like to put a lot of cheaper food in front of you to fill up on.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

:confused: How do you get served at the buffet? It's always serve yourself when I'm there. Take as much (or as little) as YOU want. Start small, taste it, go back for more if you like it.

[quote name='Kmkub']:confused: How do you get served at the buffet? It's always serve yourself when I'm there. Take as much (or as little) as YOU want. Start small, taste it, go back for more if you like it.[/quote]

I normally don't eat in the buffet. I might go there once per cruise. I generally find out that I don't like much of anything there and then don't bother to go back.

I don't know how many times I have seen people in the buffet carrying two plates stacked so high stuff was in danger of falling off.

Then later when leaving I will see empty tables with plates still stacked high.

That kind of selfindulgent waste always bothers me.

Bob

[quote name='77Network'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]

"The all you can waste buffet."

I think the problem is that the food in the buffet is often not very good. I have done the same thing; grabbed something that looked good and then when I tried to eat it, it was terrible. To blame the customer who takes it is a little misplaced. No one is going to eat it.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

That is very true. Many times I will take a very small amount of a few things and then find that a lot of it is simply terrible.

[quote name='crusinpeg']Just curious...when presented with the Princess menu there are many times when it is really difficult to choose between two entrees. I know you can order whatever and how much you want but just wondering how many have no problem with ordering more than one entree?[/QUOTE]
hubby does it at least once on every cruise.

Nita

Archived