Bringing along a power strip

IPB4IGO

I plan to bring a power strip on our upcoming cruise, so we can keep the various electronic devices charged. Then I saw this from HAL:

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with

standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or

post-cruise hotel packages may want to bring converters

and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are

equipped with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary,

only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be

used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

Does HAL really care if I use my own power strip?

Most staterooms have plenty of 110v outlets for charging phones, toothbrushes, etc. and in my opinion powerstrips are not needed. I do take along a 3 outlet adapter just in case but rarely use it. They do recommend to not leave anything plugged in while not in your stateroom. You can purchase international adapters if you choose for use in the stateroom.

My husband uses a CPAP machine, so he always asks the steward for an extension cord. He also brings one, just in case, but has never had to use it. I'm no electrician, but I believe HAL would much rather have passengers use their equipment for safety reasons.

Linda

For other travel needs, Magellen's sells a very handy, compact, short cord travel power strip designed to get around some of the outlet placement limitations in hotel rooms, as well as including a port to charge your iPod etc. The cord wraps around itself and plugs into one of the sockets for packing. You can slip it inside a shoe for even more packing efficiency. http://www.magellans.com/store/Adaptors___Converters___Plug_AdaptorsEA104

As we need an adaptor anyway for our UK plugs, I take a power strip which plugs into the adaptor and has three outlets into which we can plug our various appliances. Would that be a problem with HAL?

What do you consider PLENTY of outlets. I travel down staires with the poor folks and the cabins that I stay in only have one outlet by the desk and one in the bathroom for razors etc . I would not consider being able to plug in one thing at a time as plenty.

Hubby always brings a surge protector cord since he likes all his gadgets. Never been a problem. They just don't want somebody bringing some old, frayed thing that's likely to start an electrical fire in the cabin. Use common sense, bring a new surge protector power cord and you will be fine.

My husband is a journalist and we've been on some trips where he was working, so we have A LOT of electronic equipment and have had multiple power strips plugged in so he could charge all his stuff and we've never had a problem.

We do however use good quality power strips with circuit breakers. I'm not sure if that mattered. And I am obsessive about keeping all of the cords neat because in a cabin that stuff can take over quickly. Again, I don't know if the room steward would have said something if we looked like we were creating a hazard.

Our deck steward for our Lido Cabana was perfectly happy to bring us a long extension cord so we could even work in the cabana and no, there was no charge for using it.

:eek:

Just imagine if everyone on your cabin's line decided to bring a x6 powerstrip and plugged in 2 or 3 laptops, hair dryers, maybe a hotplate and portable heater too....

Is it likely that you'll blow the circut breaker low

Is it likely a bunch of folks will be like you and cause your area to blow very low

Is it likely that your baggage will get x-rayed and the power strip removed, very very very low

So you got to ask is with worth the convenience or can you live without :D

The captain explained on our last Ryndam cruise that there is only so much power the ship can produce on its own and the more that gets drained out for individual cabin use, the less available to power the ship and its engines so it has to slow down.

(Not sure if the engines are diesel how this actually works or if it was more of an idle threat, but maybe someone else can explain - but it was good to be reminded what a closed system it was - zero sum game.)

I carry an extension cord because a receptacle never seem to be located where we need one. I also carry a 3 prong adapter. I have carried a power strip but not really used it because the cord wasn't long enough to put the extra receptacles where I needed them.

The captain explained on our last Ryndam cruise that there is only so much power the ship can produce on its own and the more that gets drained out for individual cabin use, the less available to power the ship and its engines so it has to slow down.

(Not sure if the engines are diesel how this actually works or if it was more of an idle threat, but maybe someone else can explain - but it was good to be reminded what a closed system it was - zero sum game.)

The engines for the generators that provide power are different than the engines that propel the ship. So, the captain wasn't technically correct. However, if he is given a certain amount of diesel to use for the trip, he could have to slow down the ship to get more mpg from the propulsion engines if the power demand is unusually high. Not likely this would happen though.

HAL says...

If more outlet space is necessary,

used.

I don't see how this could be any clearer.

This is in place for your SAFETY.... and the safety of ALL the other passengers and crew on board.

It is NOT safe to use your own power bars. By ignoring this you are putting everyone on board at risk. HAL provide the power bars if you require them.

To anyone that uses their own you are playing with FIRE. Use some common sense!

The engines for the generators that provide power are different than the engines that propel the ship. So, the captain wasn't technically correct. However, if he is given a certain amount of diesel to use for the trip, he could have to slow down the ship to get more mpg from the propulsion engines if the power demand is unusually high. Not likely this would happen though.

Sorry Wayfarer you got this one wrong. The propulsion MOTORS are electrically driven and use power from the same generators that provide the power to the ships electrical system. The captain was technically very correct but as you read into it... his answer contained a small amount of BS!!!:rolleyes:

Stephen

HAL says...

used.

This is in place for your SAFETY.... and the safety of ALL the other passengers and crew on board.

It is NOT safe to use your own power bars. By ignoring this you are putting everyone on board at risk. HAL provide the power bars if you require them.

An electronics hobby class instructor was very much against "surge protectors" in power strips because he said they were cheap and often burned out, and also unnecessary since good appliances had surge protectors already built inside internally.

His question was whether you wanted a surge protected flame-out outside the appliance or contained inside the appliance, if there was to be such an circuit overload. (Again, this was one person's opinion - check out the facts, I only raise the question.)

HAL says...

used.

Agree with both the safety and practical considerations.

FWIW I can't quite understand holidaying with so much gear your actually feel the need a power strip but I suppose in this wired 24/7/365 world some folks can't do without the gadgets. I holiday to get away from all the clutter & noise but to each their own.

An electronics hobby class instructor was very much against "surge protectors" in power strips because he said they were cheap and often burned out, and also unnecessary since good appliances had surge protectors already built inside internally.

His question was whether you wanted a surge protected flame-out outside the appliance or contained inside the appliance, if there was to be such an circuit overload. (Again, this was one person's opinion - check out the facts, I only raise the question.)

I'm certain there are arguments for and against surge protectors. I'm not even thinking about that part of it. HAL says if you want to use a power strip ask for one of theirs. They have qualified electrical engineers on board who will inspect their own equipment. I seriously doubt if anyone ever takes their electrical bits and pieces to anyone for inspection on a frequent basis. HAL have experienced fires on board from electrical appliances brought on board by passengers AND crew!

If they charge $250 for smoking in the cabin just imagine what they would charge for a burn out?!!!!

ROFL that is a good one :D

:D

iPad, iTouch, iPhone, iPod, iEverthingElse ( camera, laptop, dumbphone, hair dryer, coffee maker, Gameboy, xbox/wii/PS3, DVDplayer etc. etc ) :eek:

FWIW I can't quite understand holidaying with so much gear your actually feel the need a power strip but I suppose in this wired 24/7/365 world some folks can't do without the gadgets. I holiday to get away from all the clutter & noise but to each their own.

Do not discount the bathroom shaver outlet. Most cellphone/camera battery chargers pull so little current that the bathroom outlet can be used. EM

The bathroom outlet in the newer and renovated ships is totally useless for many of us. It was put up at ceiling level where we can't reach it. :eek:

When you find a tall person to reach it for you, you find that the toothbrush has no place to set anyway. So now you have to plug the toothbrush in at the desk, taking up the one outlet that's there! :mad:

Guessing that a former NBA player now works in HAL/Seattle. :rolleyes:

The bathroom outlet in the newer and renovated ships is totally useless for many of us. It was put up at ceiling level where we can't reach it. :eek:

When you find a tall person to reach it for you, you find that the toothbrush has no place to set anyway. So now you have to plug the toothbrush in at the desk, taking up the one outlet that's there! :mad:

Guessing that a former NBA player now works in HAL/Seattle. :rolleyes:

Time for those 3M "On Command" sticky shelves and hooks to the rescue. You can attach a small shelf on the bathroom mirror or wall that can hold your toothbrush and several other items and then remove it without a trace when you leave.

:D

iPad, iTouch, iPhone, iPod, iEverthingElse ( camera, laptop, dumbphone, hair dryer, coffee maker, Gameboy, xbox/wii/PS3, DVDplayer etc. etc ) :eek:

Not so sure heating appliances like coffee makers are allowed. Call room service instead. Unplugged just might make a good vacation theme, maybe? :confused:

Time for those 3M "On Command" sticky shelves and hooks to the rescue. You can attach a small shelf on the bathroom mirror or wall that can hold your toothbrush and several other items and then remove it without a trace when you leave.

Not if you can't reach the outlet to plug in the danged thing in the first place! :rolleyes:

Besides, I'm not about to purchase, pack, and carry extra "stuff" the cruiseline should be furnishing.

Takes up too much jewelry space. :D

Archived