Skype with ship Wi-Fi???

Has anyone tried and been successful using Skype and Ship Wi-Fi ? We will be on Serenade of the Seas Nov. 6th and I would very much like to Skype with Daughter and Granddaughter!!! Just wondering if anyone has tried on any RC ships and what has been your experience with Wi-Fi on board. Thanks for all your responses!!!!!

the internet is waaayyyyyyyyyy too slow...and that site MIGHT be restricted.

i've never tried it...don't have a need to, but people on CC before have said that Skype, etc suck up way too much bandwidth ....

either try in a port or don't worry about it.....just use email...not the same i know, but ....

the internet is waaayyyyyyyyyy too slow...and that site MIGHT be restricted.

i've never tried it...don't have a need to, but people on CC before have said that Skype, etc suck up way too much bandwidth ....

either try in a port or don't worry about it.....just use email...not the same i know, but ....

Thanks much for what sounds like very sound advise :) I don't want to be frustrated while cruising!!!

Has anyone tried and been successful using Skype and Ship Wi-Fi ? We will be on Serenade of the Seas Nov. 6th and I would very much like to Skype with Daughter and Granddaughter!!! Just wondering if anyone has tried on any RC ships and what has been your experience with Wi-Fi on board. Thanks for all your responses!!!!!

There was a sign on the ship that specifically stated that Skype "may not" work. Translation -- Skype does not work. I tried it, and failed.

The internet is satellite which depending on the number of users can be somewhat slow to agonizingly slow. VOIP services like Skype, Magic Jack, etc. have worked in the past at least as far as the voice goes. There's certainly not enough bandwidth for video. However some time ago most(all?) Royal Caribbean ships began blocking the ports that VOIP services use. Every once in a while I'll read where someone has used it but in my experience it has not worked for a couple of years now I guess.

in Alaska this summer, our two oldest sons both skyped with girlfriends every night - oftentimes for half and hour to an hour with a few issues, but not enough to keep them from coming back every night...my advice, though, if you plan on skyping, buy a package - i spent 150 bucks for 500 minutes which the two of them used completely up....but it was a bargain to maintain the peace in my family

Archived