favorite hotel director?

Redtravel

I have always been partial to Ugo but after this Millie cruise I have to admit that I'm a HUGE fan of Andrew Harris! He was recruited by X to come out of retirement to work for them. They sure knew what they were doing! He's fantastic!

Does anyone else remember the Greek lunches Captain Pagonis would have in the MDR? He always claimed to have the chefs use his recipes. The were certainly delightful! And that was when he had the really long hair!

More than one woman has swooned over him!!:D:D

I like Celebrity. However, my experiences on the various ships is not always consistent. There are some hotel directors that run a better ship than others. In a hotel on land, the same is true. If you stay at many hotels for a week or more, the hotel manager/director will often make themselves known. In those places, I have been greeted warmly, asked opinions, been treated to many perks, and left with a feeling that the manager/director really wants to please. The same is true on a ship. Most directors are good. Some are truly outstanding. And, unfortunately, I have run into a few that weren't very good. A great hotel/ship usually is that way because the director runs things well.

To the person who said that they don't know who directs a hotel. You either don't care or don't stay for any length of time. As a person who often travels, I have my favorite hotels where the staff is dedicated to making everything work well. In some places, the hotel staff greets me like an honored guest. Everyone should feel that they are special. Without guests, the hotels/ships wouldn't be in business.

Anne, the Guest Relations Manager Jackie (whom we became friendly with on Mercury) went to introduce DH and I to him and he just seemed very "aloof" for lack of a better word He barely attended the Senior Officers Cocktail party that we attended (there were 2). He walked in one side of Revelations and walked out the other, maybe stopping to say hi to one couple. Maybe he was busy and had things on his mind since he just came back from vacation.

P.S. Hi Sandy!!! Miss you guys!!!

Anne Maria,

I will be back on Summit in December. You can bet I want to know what's going on. That is just so not like him. And I am surprised that with an introduction from Jackie he was not warmer.

Anne

I like Celebrity. However, my experiences on the various ships is not always consistent. There are some hotel directors that run a better ship than others. In a hotel on land, the same is true. If you stay at many hotels for a week or more, the hotel manager/director will often make themselves known. In those places, I have been greeted warmly, asked opinions, been treated to many perks, and left with a feeling that the manager/director really wants to please. The same is true on a ship. Most directors are good. Some are truly outstanding. And, unfortunately, I have run into a few that weren't very good. A great hotel/ship usually is that way because the director runs things well.

To the person who said that they don't know who directs a hotel. You either don't care or don't stay for any length of time. As a person who often travels, I have my favorite hotels where the staff is dedicated to making everything work well. In some places, the hotel staff greets me like an honored guest. Everyone should feel that they are special. Without guests, the hotels/ships wouldn't be in business.

Could not agree more.

Sue

The General Manager in a Hotel is a very important person. If I am staying in an equivalent rated land hotel as a cruise ship for 7 nights, I would expect to know the name of the GM and given the lower number of guests to have met them, and then to have seen them around. Hotel GMs are like Hotel Directors on ship - they melt in and melt out of rooms but they are the eyes and ears of the operation

I have cruised on Celebrity since 1998.

Raffaele was the Hotel Manager on my cruise on the Constellation in 2008 and my cruise on the Equinox in 2011.

I first met Raffaele in 1998 on the Galaxy (Main Restaurant Captain) and then in 2001 on the Millennium (Specialty Restaurant Manager).

He has been with Celebrity for a long time.

I have noticed the staff on his ships always seem to have a great attitude and seem to be much happier than on the ships of other Hotel Managers.

He can be seen walking the ship and greeting/talking to guests. Very approachable and friendly.

EXCELLENT HOTEL DIRECTOR.

Anne Maria,

I will be back on Summit in December. You can bet I want to know what's going on. That is just so not like him. And I am surprised that with an introduction from Jackie he was not warmer.

Anne

I think part of it was he literally JUST got back from vacation. Aren't we all a little "off" after just coming back from being away?

Also it was very hectic in the martini bar when we were being introduced. But that still doesn't explain his lack of interaction during the Senior Officer's Cocktail Party. We had more interaction with the Captain and Staff Captain on this cruise than many of the other officers. It happens and I'm sure everyone has an "off" cruise or two.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but I am going to have to post my comments because I am still so surprised.

Just off Infinity Panama Canal cruise, which was wonderful in most ways. What was NOT wonderful was the hotel director, Ryan Kingston. I went up to him at the senior officers party to meet him for the first time, introduced myself, held out my hand, which he did shake, but he then looked at his watch and then looked away. I walked away at that point. He had no interest in even saying hello, nice to meet you, how is your cruise going. Not a word. And I was top cruiser on this sailing. Very very odd.

Annd

Anyone just off the Millie? Is Andrew Harris still the HD??? I agree with everyone here, Andrew is the best, most visable and friendliest HD ever! We sail Millie again in late Novemer and I hope he is still onboard! He is the main reason we booked her again!

Just had the pleasure of meeting Andrew Harris on the Millennium and he gets my vote as well as Sue Richardson.Andrew is interesting and fun to talk to and very approachable. He knows exactly how to handle everything on board to ensure that the passengers enjoy the best possible experience on board. If a problem arises, he will deal with it making sure the end result is for the good of the guests. If someone has a complaint about that, well, they must have caused an issue that needed to be dealt with .

We wish Andrew all the best and hopefully he is reading this as I want him to know how much his hard work is appreciated! ( Andrew , hope you found this thread now and it was a pleasure speaking with you !)

Sorry, but I am going to have to post my comments because I am still so surprised.

Just off Infinity Panama Canal cruise, which was wonderful in most ways. What was NOT wonderful was the hotel director, Ryan Kingston. I went up to him at the senior officers party to meet him for the first time, introduced myself, held out my hand, which he did shake, but he then looked at his watch and then looked away. I walked away at that point. He had no interest in even saying hello, nice to meet you, how is your cruise going. Not a word. And I was top cruiser on this sailing. Very very odd.

Annd

Hi Anne,

Just to show you how different people see things differently - Kay and I met and talked with Ryan several times during this cruise. He was always personable and I learned a lot in talking with him. He is more of a quite type of guy compared to Steve, the cruise director, but I like that quite professionalism in a senior officer on the ship. But, he should not have looked at his watch and not paid attention to you during your meeting. No excuses for that.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...
Our favorite HD is Andrew Harris on the Millennium. We sailed with him last in Jan 2011 and also one other time. I think the crew followed his example for engagement and friendliness with the passengers. Andrew addressed all situations by trying to honor every reasonable request and seriously listening to every suggestion and to immediately correct every problem.

A couple of our faves are:

Damien - met on the Eclipse now on Silhouette (Dec 11)

Bernhard - met on the Constellation now on the Eclipse (Dec 11)

Also an Asst HD Christophe - met on Eclipse now on Millennium (Dec 11)

Through a number of various contacts and people we've met most of comments towards Andrew have been negative strangely enough, which I can't understand following the praise he is getting on this thread.

I also agree with the comment about not really having to meet the HD if there's nothing wrong onboard.

But I must say it's always a great chat with someone in their position for a number of reasons. We've had several great nights onboard with HD's :D

Andrew is end of contract in a few weeks from the ML (Jan12)

Met Jamie recently on Constellation. Thought he did a wonderful job handling the noro questions. He'll be leaving on December 17th for his vacation. Will be a new father very, very shortly and I wish him and his bride the very best. Hope to see him during future cruises.

Met Jamie recently on Constellation. Thought he did a wonderful job handling the noro questions. He'll be leaving on December 17th for his vacation. Will be a new father very, very shortly and I wish him and his bride the very best. Hope to see him during future cruises.

So is Damien !! Due next week, celebrity think its a conspiracy as 3-4 HDs are all off due to babies on the way at the same time.

A couple of our faves are:

Damien - met on the Eclipse now on Silhouette (Dec 11)

Bernhard - met on the Constellation now on the Eclipse (Dec 11)

Also an Asst HD Christophe - met on Eclipse now on Millennium (Dec 11)

Through a number of various contacts and people we've met most of comments towards Andrew have been negative strangely enough, which I can't understand following the praise he is getting on this thread.

I also agree with the comment about not really having to meet the HD if there's nothing wrong onboard.

But I must say it's always a great chat with someone in their position for a number of reasons. We've had several great nights onboard with HD's :D

Andrew is end of contract in a few weeks from the ML (Jan12)

Wow! Hard to imagine that anyone would say anything bad about Andrew. He is the Best! Is he renewing his contract?

My vote has to go to Jamie as well. He did a marvelous job on our recent TA during a massive Noro battle, which to quote Jamie "we are winning".

What impressed me the most was how often I saw him around the ship. I was musing to myself yesterday, before I saw this thread, how he ever got his administrative work done as he was never in his office. I have never seen a HD have so much interaction with the passengers.

Felicitations on his upcoming arrival. I would recommend to his successor that s/he look at deferred maintenance in the staterooms on CS. Our stateroom (8146) was in miserable shape and we decided against booking a future cruise on board (which we had planned to do) because of this. Since she already had her "solsticization" she will be the last in line to get the new bedding program, and I think it's a shame. Up till now, she was my favorite ship.

Liz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
For us' date=' a HD can make a huge difference in our cruise experience, good or bad. Our favorite without any doubt is [b']Niina Hautaniemi[/b] from Finland. She is very visible and close to the passengers and her crew. She knows what happens on the ship and on every cruise with her, the crew was always extremely motivated and happy. For us, she's simply the best.

I'll probably never meet them all., but my two favorite of all time were Niina and Christian. You could engage them in a conversation and feel you have their total attention, caveat is they have in the back of their heads and are keenly aware of everything that goes on around them.

Also they seem to stay engaged in every aspect of their operation, when a problem developed, and when things were going smoothly, they were there on the scene, really admired that.

Archived