This bed thing is frustrating me

Rockportgirl

But instead of making it easier for you, it has made it more complicated. In the past you just didn't worry about it and what happened happened. Now you are making calls and sending emails- If it works the first time, great. If not- just pretend it is not there, especially since CCL admits that it only seems to be there at the moment since it isn't really working.

So I called my TA on Monday because my King bed configuration wouldn't stick with me editing it myself. She put me on hold, supposedly did her thing and came back to say it was all taken care of. I figured I'd give it a few days to update... fast forward to today and it's still showing 2 twins.

I just wonder if this is still a Carnival glitch, or was the TA really playing solitaire as I sat on hold?

If they had never implemented this nifty little feature I wouldn't even be thinking twice about it, but it's to the point now where I'm just wondering, what was the point? :confused:

I don't understand Rockportgirl. I went into the Carnival site a week and a half ago and changed my twin configuration to a king and it has not changed. :confused:

I booked with Carnival directly and changed my configuration to "king" about a zillion times since the option has been available, and it continues to revert back to "twins"....It's like the dang button is teasing me...:p

Not to frustrate you further, but I changed it once and it worked just like it's supposed to. Having said that - you have at least a 50/50 chance that the bed will be right when you get there. If not you can call your room steward and get it fixed.

as of late last night I was told by CCL Support (twitter) there are still some glitches with this new feature, and not to worry because your steward can always put it the way you want when you arrive (if it's wrong).

I'm not a fan of Carnival's dev team.

Okay, to set the record straight, I am not worried, upset or sweating it. As I've said, our beds have always been made up how we've wanted in the past. I was simply stating that it's silly to have something in place that doesn't work. I've never seen a website with so many issues, and I don't know why they wouldn't work out the kinks before they roll something out. That was my only point.

Sorry, I just figured since you had posted about this a couple of times and have been changing it a few times that you were in fact, worried about it. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I've never seen a website with so many issues, and I don't know why they wouldn't work out the kinks before they roll something out.

Welcome to the age of Open Source Coding. User Acceptance Testing is expensive, and Open Source Coding is cheap. It's easier to just roll it out and fix it on the fly than to actually test the enviroment, especially since everyone is essentially pulling the source codes from the sites from the same bag of tricks and tweaking them from there. Ideally, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to fix, but for some reason, probably the generally cumbersome nature of CCL's site, it's taking much longer.

Guess those room stewards will be busy the first day reconfiguring all the beds at this point.

Probably not. Most of the time their guess will be right. If it is two adults with names that make them think they are of a different sex, they'll put the beds together. If they are of the same sex or are kids, they'll put them apart.

Now that won't always be correct, but it will get the vast majority of cabins correct.

Probably not. Most of the time their guess will be right. If it is two adults with names that make them think they are of a different sex, they'll put the beds together. If they are of the same sex or are kids, they'll put them apart.

Now that won't always be correct, but it will get the vast majority of cabins correct.

i wonder what they would have done with anna nicole smith.

I was told from someone in IT that the only way to truly fix it is to cancel the cruise entirely and re-book it with the correct arrangement before you accept.

Otherwise your beds will have to be setup incorrectly the entire cruise(ever since they started the no-rearrange furniture policy 6 months ago).

LOL..

I booked through Carnival and so far mine has stayed at King but I am checking every couple of days to make sure.

I don't understand Rockportgirl. I went into the Carnival site a week and a half ago and changed my twin configuration to a king and it has not changed. :confused:

I also changed my configuration to king, as I'm sailing with DH, but have not seen any changes...

I've never seen a website with so many issues, and I don't know why they wouldn't work out the kinks before they roll something out.

I agree! Nearly everything I try to do on that site does NOT work!

I also tried to make a payment a few weeks ago and it didn't work. I had to call Carnival's 800 number and pay that way.

I also tried booking steakhouse reservations last week and kept getting error messages. I finally e-mailed Carnival's customer service. The steakhouse manager e-mailed me and asked me to give her my reservation information. At least they have customer service! Their website is lacking.

Don't stress about this....if the beds aren't as you like them when you board, leave a note or tell the attendant...they will fix it before bedtime...no worries AT ALL.

the room attendant will change it upon request. Nothing to stress about just because it doesn't show the way you want it on paper. I arrived in a cabin with beds together, it was changed within hours of boarding. Our attendant said our last names were the same, so assumed we were married.

It takes them like 2 seconds (ok maybe 3) to either put the beds together or take them apart. This is NOT a big deal. There could be so many other things to worry about. Like the ship sinking :D It's ok to let this go. Really.

Great post! Some people need to get a life. Why spend time worrying about how beds will be placed when they get on board? Will they worry about color of the plates, how many towels, will they like the color of anything? Good grief!

Great post! Some people need to get a life. Why spend time worrying about how beds will be placed when they get on board? Will they worry about color of the plates, how many towels, will they like the color of anything? Good grief!

Admittedly, it is an easy change and the room steward can fix it. No problem.

Now, about telling people to get a life because they choice to comment or be concerned-that is their own thing-they love their spouse/partner and want to sleep close to them nightly. I think that is great! Color of plates or number of towels, aren't we getting off subject or just wanted to post?

Admittedly, it is an easy change and the room steward can fix it. No problem.

Now, about telling people to get a life because they choice to comment or be concerned-that is their own thing-they love their spouse/partner and want to sleep close to them nightly. I think that is great! Color of plates or number of towels, aren't we getting off subject or just wanted to post?

Not getting off subject, just pointing out how people stress out over non essentials, spending time on a computer or phone over something so easily fixable on board.

Maybe I'm posting ....................................

I was told from someone in IT that the only way to truly fix it is to cancel the cruise entirely and re-book it with the correct arrangement before you accept.

Otherwise your beds will have to be setup incorrectly the entire cruise(ever since they started the no-rearrange furniture policy 6 months ago).

LOL..

My bed configuration was "twin" after I booked it - the PVP knew we were husband and wife. I changed to "king" and it has stayed that way.

Welcome to the age of Open Source Coding. User Acceptance Testing is expensive, and Open Source Coding is cheap. It's easier to just roll it out and fix it on the fly than to actually test the enviroment, especially since everyone is essentially pulling the source codes from the sites from the same bag of tricks and tweaking them from there. Ideally, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to fix, but for some reason, probably the generally cumbersome nature of CCL's site, it's taking much longer.

I don't think open source is any part of this problem. Using open source software doesn't mean that there will be problems -- plenty of apps/websites use open source - as long as the feature/system is properly tested things can and usually are fine. Crowd source is relying on users to do the testing.... however in carnival's case I would bet they have few testers, little time and a big push from mgmt to get things released.

Anyway - I agree it's really sad when companies think it's okay to releasing things quick just to "get them out there" and then fixing them later. At some point Carnival needs to stand up and weigh the pros/cons of this approach.. what's more benefical to them - releasing a "cool" feature too early and with problems (upsetting customers) or waiting a week or two, fixing it and getting it right?

I don't think testing is "expensive" if you consider what can happen if things are missed (missed sales, angry customers that go elsewhere, pricing errors, etc). Unfortunately lots of companies learn it the hard way ( have you seen target's new website after they broke from amazon.com ?? SO many bugs glitches complaints). They are surely seeing the value of testing!

Archived