Things I don't like about Carnival Cruises

PenguinLife

That Carnival charges a 200% single supplement for all cabins.

That Carnival has moved out of Mobile.

That Carnival moved the Holiday to Spain.

That Carnival plays the music so loud on the lido.

That Carnival has gotten rid of the Cigar Bars, where you can actually smoke a cigar in a relaxing atmosphere and listen to some fine jazz.

That Carnival shows the news complete with commercials on the big screens.

That Carnival has gotten rid of the real island bands on the lido. I don't consider one or two guys and a computer a band.

Sorry, got on a roll and ended up with more than 3.

#1 doesn't bother me

#2 i agree with.....not good choice's

#3 i have never had much problems with rowdy passengers or heard much noise in the halls at night but it may because im so tired from the busy day's activities and drinks and sun that i sleep soundly!

Ditto.....if there's a loud crowd I try to work my way into some fun.....thats one of the things I love most about Canival ....the people love and know fun.....

just 1:

ENFORCE YOUR OWN RULES!

I never understand this.

Why should Carnival employees act like some sort of police to make a bunch of adults behave the way Cruise Critic board posters want them too?

From reading the boards I'll bet there are at least 50 rules board posters want enforced.

It's not the job of Carnival to make people (adults) behave.

And I really don't want to see endless people arguing with Carnival employees.

Also this whole rules enforcement seem to be unique to the Cruise Critic boards.

Whats up with that?

BTW I enjoy the Carnival product. If I did not I would simply choose another cruise line.

Adults should behave as adults, but unfortunately on every cruise you will have some who don't. Who knows whether it's ignorance or, if they know the rules then they think they apply to other people.

Cruise ships are under maritime law, so if the cruise line doesn't enforce the rules then no one will. Just like on a flight, the passengers have to follow the instructions of the flight crew.

The last time we cruised on Carnival, the sound system was so loud for the evening shows that it really hurt our ears. I hope that has changed since we were last on board.

I found this to be true 10 years ago and still true last month! I bring earplugs because of it. And Carnival is the only cruise line where I've had this problem.

Adults should behave as adults, but unfortunately on every cruise you will have some who don't. Who knows whether it's ignorance or, if they know the rules then they think they apply to other people.

Cruise ships are under maritime law, so if the cruise line doesn't enforce the rules then no one will. Just like on a flight, the passengers have to follow the instructions of the flight crew.

I still don't understand.

Carnival has security people who would take care of things that might fall under "maritime law" as well as safety rules.

The sort of rules that Cruise Critic board people want "enforced" is things like chair hogs and dress codes. Don't think they fall under "maritime law".:D:D

1. Set dining times should include a middle-of-the-road option like 7:00 or 7:30pm. I know there is the anytime option, but you lose the benefit of having the same team every night. I think the current options are too early and too late.

2. Ditto to all who said the sales tables in the walkways at night are annoying!

3. More 5 or 6-day cruises. Those of us who live a flight or long drive away and can only take a week off work would appreciate it!

Carnival has security people who would take care of things that might fall under "maritime law" as well as safety rules.

The sort of rules that Cruise Critic board people want "enforced" is things like chair hogs and dress codes. Don't think they fall under "maritime law".:D:D

I think the point is many people see incidents that they think should be handled by the security people, and nothing happens (disorderly passengers in the dinner line, drunks in the hallways banging on all the doors, etc.)

Later hot tub hours, getting in a hot tub in the middle of a hot day, does not appeal to me. Getting in late at night to relax does. And definitely keep

the kids out, as someone said, it is not a pool.

I know there is alot of the whole "keep the kids out of the hot tub" thing going on. But there is an adult only area. If kids are in that area, they need to leave. But they do close the Lido pool early. The hot tubs are open later. I have taken my DD (who is very mature and considerate) into the hot tubs on the Lido deck just so she could get wet after a long day of excursions. I pay full price for her as she shares a room with my MIL so I feel she should get to use all of the amenities her full price fare covers. Why should she be discriminated against when she is paying the same (if not more as we book balconies) as others? For the record is is a 5'4 10 year old. If she is not bothering any one, why do we need to do a full ban on kids if they are not in the adult only area? I would rather have some kids in there than some adults who should either find a room or wash their mouths with soap.

Just my honest opinion of what I have seen in my 16 cruises- stepping off my soapbox! Thanks for letting me vent- Flame away!

Simple conduct codes of the ship won't be of course, but refusing to follow the direction of the captain or his officers might.

In any case, what's the point in having rules that won't get enforced. It negatively impacts the cruise for the 90% or more who think the rules do apply to them too, and abide by them. That's my take on it, ymmv.

I hope that this can be a productive message thread and not turn into a long rant, therefore I suggest we limit our complaints to 3 line items each and only agree/disagree with previous complaints or add ones of our own:

My top 3 in no particular order:

1, Announcing sales in the spa and such over the ships intercom to drum up business.

2, The buffet dessert bar with a dozen plus mediocre quality dishes, I would prefer if they had 3 or 4 quality ones instead.

3, I wish they would do a better job of controlling the rowdy passengers, I personally don't like to hear people yelling and partying in the halls at 3 am while I am trying to sleep.

I will be nice about this. There are at least 40 other cruise lines, of which 30 are not owned by Carnival Corp. So go cruise there.

I know there is alot of the whole "keep the kids out of the hot tub" thing going on. But there is an adult only area. If kids are in that area, they need to leave.

Yes they do. But someone recently posted a pic of the Adults Only Hot Tub on Serenity with kids in it. I know the picture taker and she said that the kids were there with mom and dad. Security did nothing.

But they do close the Lido pool early.

Then ask for the Lido pool to stay open later. Don't penalize adults who want to sit in a hot tub without kids.

The hot tubs are open later. I have taken my DD (who is very mature and considerate) into the hot tubs on the Lido deck just so she could get wet after a long day of excursions. I pay full price for her as she shares a room with my MIL so I feel she should get to use all of the amenities her full price fare covers. Why should she be discriminated against when she is paying the same (if not more as we book balconies) as others? For the record is is a 5'4 10 year old. If she is not bothering any one, why do we need to do a full ban on kids if they are not in the adult only area? I would rather have some kids in there than some adults who should either find a room or wash their mouths with soap.
Maybe yours is not in a diaper and doesn't splash, but many people bring their kids there who are and do. Why cannot security enforce the rules that are in place. Some people think that even if there are rules in place they don't apply to them. Just my opinion.

Just my honest opinion of what I have seen in my 16 cruises- stepping off my soapbox! Thanks for letting me vent- Flame away!

Our biggest Complaint-

1. only having exactly what you paid for - 7 days doesn;t get any longer. We so enjoy the cruises and the wonderful service we have already had.

seriously -

having the Buffet line on the Lido deck so long...

and having people not putting their own overstuffed assortments of food from the buffet into the garbage.

I guess, since we hate waste, the amount of wasted food is disappointing to us.

Just walked off the Freedom this morning :(. We didn't really see many problems with people finding chairs, nut we were only looking for ourselves, and still never had a problem. Some of the problems may come from the time of year people may be cruising. We saw no children in the adult pools or hot tubs or in the Serenity area.This was also our first time using the open dining times. There was 4 of us at first, and we increased it to 7 on the third night, usually around the same time every evening. We had no problem being seated in the same location every night, with the same wait staff. Even on the 2 nights we chose to dine later.

The only 2 complaints we had, and noted others saying at times was that it would be nice to be able to have the nice meal in the dining rooms, but not be forced to participate in formal nights. We're on vacation and don't feel like having to wear a suit and/or tie, and if you choose not to dress up, then you aren't forced to eat in the buffet.

The second complaint was the lack of seating for the comedy club shows, there were people standing for almost all of the shows, but this could be because most people who have cruised many times have seen the shows in the main theatre and choose not to go.

So, our only two real complaints are minor compared to most others I suppose. We cruise Carnival for the better value and we enjoy the experiences and the friends we make every vruise.

My top 3 in no particular order:

1, Announcing sales in the spa and such over the ships intercom to drum up business. Agree! One of the things I liked best about Celebrity was the lack of annoying PA announcements. Write it in the Capers and let that be all! We don't need the constant chatter from overachieving Cruise Directors!

2, The buffet dessert bar with a dozen plus mediocre quality dishes, I would prefer if they had 3 or 4 quality ones instead. Totally agree

3, I wish they would do a better job of controlling the rowdy passengers, I personally don't like to hear people yelling and partying in the halls at 3 am while I am trying to sleep. Agreed

1. One of the channels on the TV was for Denver, CO. It was the local programming. We saw the news and weather for Denver and snow was predicted. I don't know why we were getting a local TV station on a cruise.

2. The dress code is not enforced in the dining room for adults. The dress code is liberal. If guests cannot dress within the code, they should be asked politely to eat at the buffet where what they are wearing is accepted.

Three things I don't like...

1. The fact that Carnival doesn't enforce the no children in the hot tub rule!!

2. I hate how the spa staff tries so hard to push products on u and totally kills your relaxed mood after a massage or facial!!

3. I really really dislike when my cruise is over and I am forced to return to reality :p

It drives me crazy also when the dress code isn't enforced in the MDR during formal night. If I'm dressed up I don't want the people beside me wearing jeans. Of course it doesn't ruin my meal or night, it just aggravates me a little.

I know there is alot of the whole "keep the kids out of the hot tub" thing going on. But there is an adult only area. If kids are in that area, they need to leave. But they do close the Lido pool early. The hot tubs are open later. I have taken my DD (who is very mature and considerate) into the hot tubs on the Lido deck just so she could get wet after a long day of excursions. I pay full price for her as she shares a room with my MIL so I feel she should get to use all of the amenities her full price fare covers. Why should she be discriminated against when she is paying the same (if not more as we book balconies) as others? For the record is is a 5'4 10 year old. If she is not bothering any one, why do we need to do a full ban on kids if they are not in the adult only area? I would rather have some kids in there than some adults who should either find a room or wash their mouths with soap.

i do have to say, if everyone thought that even one rule didn't apply to them, just like you've just said about yourself and your daughter, the ship could become a very disorderly place.

there are rules. you might not like them, you might think you're better than the rest of the people on the boat, but just follow them.

Simple conduct codes of the ship won't be of course, but refusing to follow the direction of the captain or his officers might.

In any case, what's the point in having rules that won't get enforced. It negatively impacts the cruise for the 90% or more who think the rules do apply to them too, and abide by them. That's my take on it, ymmv.

Then my take is do away with the rules.:D

I suspect that 99% of people on a cruise have no idea about all the rules you speak of.

They are probably having too much fun on their vacation to worry about what everyone else is doing.

I will be nice about this. There are at least 40 other cruise lines, of which 30 are not owned by Carnival Corp. So go cruise there.

Well said.

If you don't like the Carnival product then find a line that suits your needs and cruise with them.

That's what I did with Carnival.

Less formal (read relaxed dress codes) and more fun (read people staying up late and drinking).:D

i do have to say, if everyone thought that even one rule didn't apply to them, just like you've just said about yourself and your daughter, the ship could become a very disorderly place.

there are rules. you might not like them, you might think you're better than the rest of the people on the boat, but just follow them.

Please do me a favor?

Can you please post a link to the rule book we all need to follow?

Thank you.:D:D:D:D

Why should she be discriminated against when she is paying the same (if not more as we book balconies) as others?!

Because that's the rule....simple. (If it is an adult only hot tub)

I cruised once with my two girls who were 19 and 16 at the time. We hung out at the adult pool and when my 16 year old was with us, she knew the pool was not available to her. She never questioned it.

WHY?? because when she was 10, I made her obey rules...

Things I don't like about CCL:

Dancing waiters (surprised no one mentioned this)

Total lack of live music

Those big screens (hate them)

My biggest 'hate'at the moment is that they have not exceeded my expectations in a while...in fact, they haven't met them on several occasions....We'll see in 19 days if they can change my mind.

Archived