Relative merits of cruise lines

Lordwanswell

We have done several river cruises, but now feel ready for something like a Med cruise. Any recommendations of good companies would be helpful. We are 55 and 60, fairly traditional and like a good drink! Thinking of P&O, is that a good idea? Any other tips gratefully received.

If you are thinking of P&O, I suspect you are in the UK. P&O might be a good fit, but you might also consider Fred Olsen, Cunard, Holland America, Celebrity, and Princess when they are in Europe. Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL will be less traditional. EM

We've travelled on a few lines, and would suggest that P&O is pretty traditional for a middle of the range cruise- their latest, smallest ship, Adonia, is supposed to be slightly more sophisticated, and is adult only, as are 2 other of their ships. The 2 big ships might not suit, as they're family based.....

From Berkeley, you're within reasonable distance for cruising from Southampton, which covers many lines....of the American ships leaving there, Celebrity Eclipse seems popular for many, and not as "fun" filled as their sister ship, Independence of the Seas.

If you enjoy a drink, then stick with the British managed ships like P&O, Fred, Thomson etc, as prices are in line with pubs in the UK, and don't have an automatic tip on top.

The highest grade of ships from Southampton is Cunard....with a vast following.

There's also a multitude of fly/cruises, which would take all day.....:D

Which do we prefer...?- Ah, well, we're slightly older, and go for the family fun ships all the time- but they really don't suit everyone....;)

Jo.

I am sorry, but from reviews I have read, I would recommend neither. Many P & O cruises have been characterized as "Butlins at Sea". As far as Cunard, if you can afford Grill Class, it will be alright, other than that the food is very pedestrian, if that.

I would recommend Princess as a mainstream line, but would suggest you read reviews with a grain of salt, throwing out the very bad and the very good.

I am sorry, but from reviews I have read, I would recommend neither. Many P & O cruises have been characterized as "Butlins at Sea". As far as Cunard, if you can afford Grill Class, it will be alright, other than that the food is very pedestrian, if that.

I would recommend Princess as a mainstream line, but would suggest you read reviews with a grain of salt, throwing out the very bad and the very good.

Reading many reviews on a UK site, I see that most lines are referred to as "Butlins at Sea" over the years.:D

The difference is that P&O has several categories of ship- the 2 massive Grand Class ones+ Oceana, which are family orientated, the more sedate Aurora, and then the 3 adult only ones, which have very little of the Butlins about them..... the newest one, Adonia,ex Royal Princess, is enjoyed by people who would also enjoy Cunard or Celebrity.

The 2 Princess ships sailing from S'ton, are the same build as the 2 family ships on sister line P&O- Grand Class, and are also family ships....we find Princess and P&O to be remarkably similar.

As I said to the OP-these family ships are our choice, but they're not for everyone.

Jo.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely disagree with that - I've cruised P&O many times, and although the family-orientated ships will have more options for children, they're certainly not adult-unfriendly or unsophisticated, and indeed, even the parents often don't see the kids much because they're kept so busy with activities. All P&O ships have formal nights, and even the 'smart casual' nights tend more towards smart than casual.

Are you not aware that P&O and Princess are part of the same company, and indeed use the same type of ships? If anything, I would say that Princess is more 'Butlins' (if by that you mean 'informal') than P&O.

We have done several river cruises, but now feel ready for something like a Med cruise. Any recommendations of good companies would be helpful. We are 55 and 60, fairly traditional and like a good drink! Thinking of P&O, is that a good idea? Any other tips gratefully received.

I'd also say keep Thomson's in mind - it's a little bit more informal than P&O (although nearly all the ships do have formal nights), and the ships are a bit older, but they have a very loyal following, which is a good recommendation in itself.

You might look at Oceania too. (Not the Oceana of P&O, but Oceania Cruise line.) They have a few cruises out of the UK, their cruises tend to be very port intensive, the food is excellent, afternoon tea is wonderful, and the service is top notch. It is a premium line, so a bit more expensive than most, but a wonderful line that deserves some consideration.

What is the priority, the ship and onboard experience or the port lineup?

For many its all about the port, I'd pick the ship/line that has the port lineup you want.

Archived