Don't call your parents collect!!!!!

We sailed on the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda with Hurricane Irene. When we arrived alive we called home to let my parents know we made it. We talked for 2 minutes, they got their phone bill today........60 bucks:eek:

Would never dream of calling collect from another country, either cell phone or phone card is the way to go

I always operate under the thought that if something bad DOES happen, parents/kids/whoever, will be notified. No news is good news. I don't expect my kids to call me to tell me they're safe....I figure if something were to happen, someone, somewhere will notify me.

We sailed on the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda with Hurricane Irene. When we arrived alive we called home to let my parents know we made it. We talked for 2 minutes, they got their phone bill today........60 bucks:eek:

Thats uglier than me in a bikini!

;)

I am with CB. My Dad and my MIL/FIL, know me and my wife are adults and can take of ourselves. If something would happen to either of us, the other would notify the appropriate relatives.

In fact we use my SIL as our emergency contact person while cruising. She is a RN, so could make rational health type decisions and our handle other types of things if something should happen to both me and my wife and she is very logical and detailed oriented.

Or a quick email ,is the cheapest of all.

BTW-------if you called from your cabin,it wouldn't had even been half of that!It would be $7.95 a minute.......and with a C&A coupon,cheaper..

I tried an email when we were in Bali on the day the terrorists blew up the club about 5 miles from where we were staying...that email never got thru. In the end if I recall while I was out scuba diving DW answered a call from her mom or my parents. My AA at work was getting tons of calls from folks I worked with to check on me...

In some instances a voice to voice call is best...I learned that real well after the Bali bombing incident.

Calling cards purchased all over in foreign ports are one good way to cut the cost...another is to go to an internet cafe, many have VOIP phones and don't charge much to use them. Did that from Cairns when DW and DD were stuck in a hotel at WDW sitting out a hurricane. DW had emailed the dive boat operator who faxed the note to the boat...captain caught me right before a dive to hand me the fax...great folks on that dive boat a very caring crew. In the end unlike the scheduled trips endings...I ended up back home in Houston before DW and DD who were due back the day before I was.

Why didn't you use your C&A coupon for $2.00/minute from your stateroom phone? Many times a voice phone call is much better than emails.

That was already brought up........think maybe they didnt even think about it..:(

Although it's quite a lot for 2 minutes, as a parent, $60 to know you are safe really isn't a big deal.

Hope you had fun!

I agree . ... as a mom I would gladly pay the $ to hear my kids' voices to know they were OK. Yah, they should have used the phone in the room with the coupon, but . . .. at least they thought enough to call home. Yah, the ship would call if something was wrong, but that would be an awful call to receive.

Good for you for calling home. :)

My daughter is grown and has two children of her own. But as a parent like to know that all are safe and sound when they are traveling. DW and I will call and let her know we made home or back from a cruise safe and sound. Wish I could still call my folks let them know that I made it home safe and sound.

I always operate under the thought that if something bad DOES happen, parents/kids/whoever, will be notified. No news is good news. I don't expect my kids to call me to tell me they're safe....I figure if something were to happen, someone, somewhere will notify me.

My mom always says "Good news , you hear it when you hear it......Bad news they'll call you at 3am to tell you"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still thinks this way. I think in this age of instant and easy communication, people feel they must be in touch all the time. After Hurricane Irene, I didn't even bother to check up on my parents. I knew the phones were out, and the only local death reported was someone out surfing. I didn't think my 80-something-year-old parents were out surfing, so I wasn't worried. They were out barbecuing on my father's new grill :D

Sometimes I call from vacation just to say hi.

But the OP may be young, first trip away, I understand ;)

Yep, agree entirely, but some people find it impossible to let go the apron strings

Yep, agree entirely, but some people find it impossible to let go the apron strings

That wasnt very nice............I would LOVE to be able to call my parents....there is NOTHING wrong with being close and being in touch when you can..

Some of you are being harsh...I don't think it was a case of apron strings, or any such thing. OP just wanted to let folks know they were OK and having a good time. 2 minutes. They learned a good lesson that amny of us either learned 1st hand or vis a friend long ago. They were just sharing to save others the same costly lesson. I have 3 grown children all with families and I still enjoy a call out of the blue saying hi Mom we are in TimBuckTwo and doing great. Would gladly pay $60 to hear from my baby sister.

Archived