Elegant Night or Not?

jtdlmc

Elegant, formal or not?  

677 members have voted

1. 1. Elegant, formal or not?

• Go back to Formal Night where everyone dresses in gowns and tuxes.
    • Keep it how it is but enforce the dress code.
    • Have an "elegant or not night" - nice jeans would be acceptable.
    • Have one dining room formal and the other not for elegant night.

It was mentioned by someone that "perhaps" ladies in particular like to "dress elegant" because they "played":rolleyes: with Barbie dolls, and haven't got it out of their system yet. Well I never played with Barbie dolls as my folks were poor, and could not afford a doll like that for me.:(

I like some of the rest who have responded, just like to "dress up" a little more elegant as we don't have that choice very often. I say each to his own.

• 1 month later...

I think for the most part, Carnival has it right as far as the balance between elegant and casual. I don't think jeans are appropriate on an elegant night. Even on a casual night, the dining rooms seem too elegant to wear jeans.

I do like the idea of having one "elegant" dining room and one "casual" dining room. Obviously, people have different preferences. Someone who never dresses up at home or work would want to dress up on a cruise, as it's a special occasion. On the other hand, someone (especially a man) who has to dress up for work every day does not want to have to dress up on vacation. Nobody wants to feel like they are at work when they are on a vacation.

They should also try to avoid scheduling elegant nights on port days. To be honest, that can be somewhat of a nuissance. On land, it would be unusual for someone who spent the day at the beach to want to dress up later that same day. Especially if you are tired, sunburned, and short on time. Elegant nights work best on sea days, when there is more time.

I also suspect that opinions on elegant nights may run along gender lines, for 2 reasons. First of all, men's elegant clothes for social functions are the same as elegant clothes for work, while women have different elegant clothes for social events and for work. A man being required to dress up on a cruise feels like he's going to work, if his job has a formal dress code. But a woman would not feel that way, since she would still not be wearing what she wears to work.

The second reason why I think opinions would split on gender lines is because many cruises are in warm destinations. Men's formal clothes are very hot in hot destinations, while women's formal clothes seem more appropriate for warm destinations. Also, women have more freedom to choose what to wear, and can choose clothes based on the weather. Men do not have that option. A lot of women on this board complain that the temperature in the dining rooms is too cold, and complain that the cruise lines set the temperature to accommodate the men. But, I think the cruise lines do the right thing there, because women can always cover up if they are too cold, while men can't do much if it's too hot. Though that doesn't help much outside.

I remember on our last cruise, in the Caribbean during June, on a very hot, sunny day (and I was badly sunburned, despite using a lot of sunscreen), my wife wanted to go outside, while I had my suit on, to watch the Beyonce concert on the Seaside Theater. That worked out well for her in her nice, cool dress, though it was very hot for me. Having said that, since my job does not normally have a formal dress code (except for meetings), I don't mind dressing up on a cruise as much as many other men do, as long as I don't have to spend a lot of time outside or in an overly hot room.

I think for the most part, Carnival has it right as far as the balance between elegant and casual. I don't think jeans are appropriate on an elegant night. Even on a casual night, the dining rooms seem too elegant to wear jeans.

I do like the idea of having one "elegant" dining room and one "casual" dining room. Obviously, people have different preferences. Someone who never dresses up at home or work would want to dress up on a cruise, as it's a special occasion. On the other hand, someone (especially a man) who has to dress up for work every day does not want to have to dress up on vacation. Nobody wants to feel like they are at work when they are on a vacation.

They should also try to avoid scheduling elegant nights on port days. To be honest, that can be somewhat of a nuissance. On land, it would be unusual for someone who spent the day at the beach to want to dress up later that same day. Especially if you are tired, sunburned, and short on time. Elegant nights work best on sea days, when there is more time.

I also suspect that opinions on elegant nights may run along gender lines, for 2 reasons. First of all, men's elegant clothes for social functions are the same as elegant clothes for work, while women have different elegant clothes for social events and for work. A man being required to dress up on a cruise feels like he's going to work, if his job has a formal dress code. But a woman would not feel that way, since she would still not be wearing what she wears to work.

The second reason why I think opinions would split on gender lines is because many cruises are in warm destinations. Men's formal clothes are very hot in hot destinations, while women's formal clothes seem more appropriate for warm destinations. Also, women have more freedom to choose what to wear, and can choose clothes based on the weather. Men do not have that option. A lot of women on this board complain that the temperature in the dining rooms is too cold, and complain that the cruise lines set the temperature to accommodate the men. But, I think the cruise lines do the right thing there, because women can always cover up if they are too cold, while men can't do much if it's too hot. Though that doesn't help much outside.

I remember on our last cruise, in the Caribbean during June, on a very hot, sunny day (and I was badly sunburned, despite using a lot of sunscreen), my wife wanted to go outside, while I had my suit on, to watch the Beyonce concert on the Seaside Theater. That worked out well for her in her nice, cool dress, though it was very hot for me. Having said that, since my job does not normally have a formal dress code (except for meetings), I don't mind dressing up on a cruise as much as many other men do, as long as I don't have to spend a lot of time outside or in an overly hot room.

I pity the men who are forced to wear a tux for work! Now, all that qualifies for "Elegant" wear is an open-necked shirt & dockers (no tie required!)

I pity the men who are forced to wear a tux for work! Now, all that qualifies for "Elegant" wear is an open-necked shirt & dockers (no tie required!)

That would be brutal. Who wears a tux to work? Cunard Butler in Grill class......actors playing butlers on TV......Tux salesman?;)

I pity the men who are forced to wear a tux for work!

I wasn't saying that many men are forced to wear a tux for work. I was saying that many men have to wear a suit to work.

Now, all that qualifies for "Elegant" wear is an open-necked shirt & dockers (no tie required!)

Depends on the job and the location. It seems that most jobs in places like New York City require a jacket and a tie to be worn every day, including the occasional 100 degree day. Outside of major cities (including my own job) it seems that dress codes are more casual.

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that a pet peeve of mine is dress codes that are selectively or inconsistently enforced. Whatever the dress code is, it should be enforced for everyone. And, there should be similar standards for both men and women that are enforced both both genders. It is frustrating when I have to wear a suit to a meeting, while women can just wear jeans and get away with it. And, it's frustrating when certain "boss's pets" are completely exempt from the dress code. I realize that at work and in school, we have to deal with unfair things (I'm not trying to debate that), but on vacation, people should not have to deal with such things.

Yes...I love getting dressed up for one or two nights, also! We just returned from a Christmas Cruise and everyone dressed pretty festively. Well, except for a couple of men who wore baseball caps and shorts to the Cruise Elegant nights. That is just downright disrespectful, I think. Like someone said, what is so difficult about wearing a nice pair of slacks and a shirt and jacket? Tuxes aren't required...just looking spiffy would be nice! I vote for enforcing the dress code, which is fairly relaxed, anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

mitsguy2001, you mentioned that your wife wanted to go out to see the Beyonce concert, but you didn't want to go because it would be too hot for what you were wearing.

I'm curious, was the concert in person or on the screen? If in person, what ship were you on?

This is always a "touchy" subject.

Personally, I don't care what ANYONE has on. As long as you're clean and well behaved I couldn't care less. :D

We follow the "elegant night" suggested clothing but that's only because it states we have to if we want to eat in the MDR.

Shopping for a dress that looks appropriate takes me MONTHS and more than likely they will still make me feel uncomfortable.

My husband wears a pair of dress pants and a button up shirt with cowboy boots :)

I've been on 3 cruises and I've NEVER seen anyone in the MDR on formal night or casual wearing bathing suits, hats, cut off jeans, "wife beaters", or gym shorts. Sure people wear things like that at the pool, however, I've never noticed it in the MDR. Then again, I'm busy talking, relaxing and enjoying vacation. That's the experience I paid for. I'm not looking to point out everyone's flaws as a poster previously did by stating women shouldn't have rolls because they're supposed to be served at the table :rolleyes: What one person considers "formal" probably isn't the next person's interpretation.

People should worry more about what they are doing and wearing and spend less time gossiping about others. As long as you're having a good time why does it matter that "Bob" at the end of the table has on jeans with a polo shirt at dinner? Oh, because YOU think he should be kicked out of the MDR. Obviously, if the employees didn't address it they didn't think it was that out of the ordinary so there's no reason to get yourself all worked up over something so petty.

Stop worrying about what everyone is doing and using the excuse "they are breaking the rules" to throw a temper tantrum about it. :eek:

Personally, My wife kids and myself really enjoyed dressing up, Evening gown for wife, easter dresses for little girl, suits for boys, tuxedo each night for dad. We dressed because we had a great venue to enjoy. We are not critical of others actions or dress as long as it's not disruptive, dis-respectful or offensive. I don't think people should be made to feel uncomfortable or excluded from enjoying menu items on a particular night. I would however feel slightly un comfortable if I didn't feel I was showing proper respect by dressing nicely. :)

mitsguy2001, you mentioned that your wife wanted to go out to see the Beyonce concert, but you didn't want to go because it would be too hot for what you were wearing.

I'm curious, was the concert in person or on the screen? If in person, what ship were you on?

The Seaside Theater is a huge screen above the pool on certain Carnival ships. Beyonce was on the Seaside Theater (the screen); she wasn't there in person. It was a videotape of a concert from 2004, if I remember right. The ship was the Liberty. They had several other concerts too, but that was the only one that we saw.

The point of my post was that, at least on Caribbean cruises, I think one of the reasons why women enjoy formal night more than men is because women's formal clothes are more appropriate for warm weather than men's formal clothes are.

This is always a "touchy" subject.

Personally, I don't care what ANYONE has on. As long as you're clean and well behaved I couldn't care less. :D

We follow the "elegant night" suggested clothing but that's only because it states we have to if we want to eat in the MDR.

Shopping for a dress that looks appropriate takes me MONTHS and more than likely they will still make me feel uncomfortable.

My husband wears a pair of dress pants and a button up shirt with cowboy boots :)

I've been on 3 cruises and I've NEVER seen anyone in the MDR on formal night or casual wearing bathing suits, hats, cut off jeans, "wife beaters", or gym shorts. Sure people wear things like that at the pool, however, I've never noticed it in the MDR. Then again, I'm busy talking, relaxing and enjoying vacation. That's the experience I paid for. I'm not looking to point out everyone's flaws as a poster previously did by stating women shouldn't have rolls because they're supposed to be served at the table :rolleyes: What one person considers "formal" probably isn't the next person's interpretation.

People should worry more about what they are doing and wearing and spend less time gossiping about others. As long as you're having a good time why does it matter that "Bob" at the end of the table has on jeans with a polo shirt at dinner? Oh, because YOU think he should be kicked out of the MDR. Obviously, if the employees didn't address it they didn't think it was that out of the ordinary so there's no reason to get yourself all worked up over something so petty.

Stop worrying about what everyone is doing and using the excuse "they are breaking the rules" to throw a temper tantrum about it. :eek:

I agree... On both my cruises, I never saw anyone not dressed neatly. That includes me, and I'm the biggest slob I know. Slacks and a shirt that isn't stained is dressing up. I like to see people dressed up, but my idea of dressing up is what everyone else is wearing in the MDR on non-elegant night. I like eating in the MDR. My favorite restaurant here is a bar five miles away. They have the world's best prime rib. Nice steak house here in town, and they can't fix a steak to save their souls. I'll take the bar.

Archived