Elegant Night or Not?

jtdlmc

Elegant, formal or not?  

677 members have voted

1. 1. Elegant, formal or not?

• Go back to Formal Night where everyone dresses in gowns and tuxes.
    • Keep it how it is but enforce the dress code.
    • Have an "elegant or not night" - nice jeans would be acceptable.
    • Have one dining room formal and the other not for elegant night.

I personally love dressing up in elegant wear but it's just not for everyone. I do think jeans and extreme casual wear should be kept out of the dining room on the more formal night. I think "Sunday best" is appropriate.

"Sunday best" varies from region to region and church to church. Heck, even parish to parish. I always smile when I see this when I think of the hippy priest who took over my parents' parish who encourages casual dress and is known to wear Birkenstocks when not in his full priestly raiment.

I can't remember a single meal on a cruise ship that my meal has been ruined by what anyone else in the dining room was wearing.

I agree. Had kids on last cruise in March wore shorts and nice shirts. Didn't ruin my meal nor cruise. Other people that were in tuxses and suiets also didn't ruin my meal nor cruise. :p

I agree. Had kids on last cruise in March wore shorts and nice shirts. Didn't ruin my meal nor cruise. Other people that were in tuxses and suiets also didn't ruin my meal nor cruise. :p

I don't think what someone is wearing would ruin my cruise by any means. But I think that if someone is wearing short shorts and a tank top with their bra strap showing and they are sitting at my table I am going to feel a little disappointed. MDR is one of the only times that you have very little control of where you sit. If I am at the buffet and someone sits at the next table that makes me uncomfortable I can move. That isn't the case at MDR. I have been very fortunate that others at my table have been dressed well, but I have seen others across the room that are a little different. I like to take pictures too and sometimes a tablemate happens to be in the picture. Some people may think that is stupid, but it does matter to me. I do not feel that I can tell them what to wear, but I think the established dress code does give people adequate leeway.

I do think the dress code is a little more flexible for kids. If the child is wearing a nice shirt vs a tshirt that would be fine for me. I would not think anything of seeing a young child in shorts, but a guy with hairy legs is different to me. Ladies in dressy walking shorts or capris would be ok, but cut offs is not ok to me.

I think you'll like it. It's about the decline of society and subsequent IQ drop from dumbing everything down. The US ends up with a president named "Beef Supreme".

One of the all time underrated movies. What was the name of the soda that everyone drank? Classic.

I haven't seen the inside of the MDR for about three years now, so that probably tells you everything that you need to know about my opinion on Elegant Night.

Two visions creep into my head as I remember what it was like though.

The first, being on Disney CL with my ex and my son. I insisted that my husband wear a suit, much to his dislike. As we sat there eating our meal, he looked about at those people who chose not to dress for dinner and was pretty annoyed at me for complying, when clearly the cruiseline didn't have a problem with it....and at more than twice the price of Carnival, no less. Whatever the dress code is, enforce it.

The second....when your best friend tells you that she's picked a bridesmaid dress that you will be able to wear again and nobody will be know that you've worn it in a wedding....she's lying.

I don't understand why Carnival (the Fun Ships) doesn't just allow people to enjoy their vacations and dress the way they want for dinner. Of course, I do think they should at least enforce the kinds of dress codes imposed by many medium-class restaurants, like no halter tops, tank tops, towel wrapped around the dangly bits..... Even McDonald's has a "no shirt, no service" rule. It would also improve everyone's chance of having a fun vacation if they discouraged opportunities for judgment; Others tend to "categorize" everyone around them based on the way they dress.

Why can't people just be happy to dress down while on vacation and just wear nice clothes in the MDR, all the time? I know some smarty will say that people generally feel better about themselves when they dress formally which, in turn, makes for a better vacation experience. I say that's complete rubbish!

I can just as easily enjoy my dining experience (and thus my vacation) while wearing a nice button-down shirt and a pair of jeans as I can trussed up in an uncomfortable tuxedo/straightjacket. I suspect we all think we need the formal night because way back when, some twit defined what was best for a cruise experience. Everyone's just gone along with it thinking that dressing informally would ruin or impede the vacation experience. Of course, Carnival (and other cruise lines) encourage the formal night because of their lucrative souvenir photo business. I'm not saying they shouldn't try to make the extra money.....that's just crazy!

I bet if you just removed the concept of "dressing up" from your brain, put on clothes like you would for any other day of your life, and then went to dinner, you'd see that dressing up has zero ("0") impact on your ability to enjoy the experience. When I dress up for the MDR, the lobster doesn't taste any better! In fact, I'm constantly worrying about getting something on my expensive tux, sports coat, or dress pants....GAH!!!

It's time to get rid of the formal nights in the MDR. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't go ahead and dress up and get your souvenir photos; Just don't expect everyone else to live by your definition of fun! Also, it's time to stop judging others by their clothes. Unless you paid for my cruise and as long as I am enjoying my vacation, let me dress as I wish!

I haven't seen the inside of the MDR for about three years now, so that probably tells you everything that you need to know about my opinion on Elegant Night.

Two visions creep into my head as I remember what it was like though.

The first, being on Disney CL with my ex and my son. I insisted that my husband wear a suit, much to his dislike. As we sat there eating our meal, he looked about at those people who chose not to dress for dinner and was pretty annoyed at me for complying, when clearly the cruiseline didn't have a problem with it....and at more than twice the price of Carnival, no less. Whatever the dress code is, enforce it.

The second....when your best friend tells you that she's picked a bridesmaid dress that you will be able to wear again and nobody will be know that you've worn it in a wedding....she's lying.

Joan Rivers used to have a great joke about that .

Your friend tells you that you can wear the bridesmaid dress again after the wedding

"Oh sure it's lime green with a hoop skirt, three quarter sleeves , a big picture hat and a parasall. Great if Juan and Evita Peron ever come back into power I have something to wear to the inauguration" :)

Jeans weigh more and take up space more than any other clothes I own so I'd never pack them for a cruise, even if they were okay for the dining room.

But I don't care what others wear. It doesn't affect my cruise in the least.

I can't directly prove this, but the way people treat the MDR, IMO, effects the quality of what gets served.

I don't think it's a coincidence that fried chicken and burgers have shown up, let's put it that way. lol. I think they figure if the passengers wouldn't even go through the pretense of it being formal, why should they? And they get to save money to boot.

So, eventually what you'll get is Applebees at Sea. I'm not saying you need to come dressed like some 1920's Chicago gangster, but c'mon, a pair of dockers type pants can't be that far out of the budget. I see how much you guys drink.

Jeans weigh more and take up space more than any other clothes I own so I'd never pack them for a cruise, even if they were okay for the dining room.

I agree . Especially in the Caribbean . Just too hot. Maybe if I ever do an Alaska cruise I would bring them . But on warm weather cruises , if I am not in shorts or a bathing suit. I wear a nice lighweight pair of slacks

We leave home in below-zero temps and return to below-zero temps so wouldn't be travelling to and from the airport in shorts, capris or sundresses. We'd have jeans with us anyway, whereas we wouldn't travel with "elegant" clothes if we didn't have to.

I can't directly prove this, but the way people treat the MDR, IMO, effects the quality of what gets served.

I don't think it's a coincidence that fried chicken and burgers have shown up, let's put it that way. lol. I think they figure if the passengers wouldn't even go through the pretense of it being formal, why should they? And they get to save money to boot.

So, eventually what you'll get is Applebees at Sea. I'm not saying you need to come dressed like some 1920's Chicago gangster, but c'mon, a pair of dockers type pants can't be that far out of the budget. I see how much you guys drink.

I don't think that formal wear is needed though and I don't think the ship should go to Applebees at sea because of the way people dress. I've eaten at very expensive restaurants more than once (at up to $375 per person) and no one in these restaurants had formal wear on. Some people even had jeans on.

I have been on about 18 CCL cruises, and I must have missed it. I have never seen anyone come in the MDR in a bathing suit or cut offs. I think as long as the person is clean and neatly put together, that is all that is necessary. If you would like to dress up, I think that is what you should do. But its not what everyone wants to do.

My main concern is who decides what's formal/elegant and what isn't? I prefer to dress a little nicer for elegant night than I would the other nights, but it's by no means formal. On elegant nights, I might wear black dockers style pants, button down shirt, and a tie. Other nights, it's the dockers pants and button down shirt--but not a solid color on some nights. I might even keep my shirt unbuttoned with a tshirt underneath it.

If you start segragating the dining rooms, what dining room would I fall into? I would say the formal one, but then, at what point does it get where the people who want to wear suits and tuxes complain that I'm not? Or they complain that my dockers aren't properly pressed? Oh no, is that a small hole in a sock? Or my shoes aren't properly shined?

I think it's a slippery slope with segregating dining rooms. If people want to feel better than others, than maybe they should go eat at the steakhouse on formal night...I'm sure the people there are probably dressed a little nicer.

That being said, some people do tend to wear things that aren't appropriate on elegant night...shorts, ripped jeans, etc., that shouldn't be allowed in the MDR any time, but especially not on elegant night.

It is too funny how much discussion elegant night versus no elegant night can create. It really seems simple if you look at the basics.

Do you tell your boss to shove his dress code because you're at work and you need to be comfortable and go to work wearing flip flops when they have a closed toe shoe rule??

Would you tell your childs principal that the school dress code doesn't work for you so you are not going to adhere to it and send you child to school in inappropriate attire??

No??

So why feel entitled to snub a simple dress code asking for a little effort to look a little nicer at the MDR on elegant night?? It really isn't that difficult.

No one is asking anyone to wear a ballgown or a tux, a simple sundress and a pair of dress pants would do. I can't believe there is a woman alive that doesn't own one dress or a man that hasn't had to wear a pair of dress pants to a wedding/funeral/holiday party that he could dig out of mothballs for one night.

I have 3 teenage boys who I am sure would prefer to be in their jeans but they have never once complained about putting on a pair of dress pants on elegant night. It's such a simple thing.

It is too funny how much discussion elegant night versus no elegant night can create. It really seems simple if you look at the basics.

Do you tell your boss to shove his dress code because you're at work and you need to be comfortable and go to work wearing flip flops when they have a closed toe shoe rule??

Would you tell your childs principal that the school dress code doesn't work for you so you are not going to adhere to it and send you child to school in inappropriate attire??

No??

So why feel entitled to snub a simple dress code asking for a little effort to look a little nicer at the MDR on elegant night?? It really isn't that difficult.

No one is asking anyone to wear a ballgown or a tux, a simple sundress and a pair of dress pants would do. I can't believe there is a woman alive that doesn't own one dress or a man that hasn't had to wear a pair of dress pants to a wedding/funeral/holiday party that he could dig out of mothballs for one night.

I have 3 teenage boys who I am sure would prefer to be in their jeans but they have never once complained about putting on a pair of dress pants on elegant night. It's such a simple thing.

Actually, due to airline restrictions on luggage (i.e. charging for checked luggage) it is no longer such a simple thing. Four of us pack our clothes in 2 suitcases keeping each under 50 pounds for an 8-10 night trip (we stay at our departure airport the night before our flight and always fly into port city the day before the cruise leaves and sometimes we stay an extra night after the cruise). Just those 2 suitcases cost an extra $100 to get them there and back. An additional 4-8 sets of clothing (my daughter wouldn't wear the same dress to two formal nights) plus 4 pairs of dress shoes is not simple to pack in there. We did it last winter but got by just by the hair of the scales! It would be so much easier to be able to wear regular casual clothes on elegant nights - I'm not talking shorts, t-shirts and flip flops - but jeans and a nice top, clean black running/skate shoes for the boys. There is nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans - even my doctor wears wears them in the office!!!!

Dress code and kids in hot tubs seem to be the biggest arguments on CC.

I don't understand what the big deal is though. Just follow the rules! I don't think men should be required to wear a tux, nor should a woman have to wear a ball gown. But on formal night you should at least dress nice. My DH wears dress pants, shirt and tie. He looks nice and he is comfortable. I always wear a nice dress, but nothing real fancy. I want to look nice, but I want to be comfortable also.

If u don't want to dress up, then don't eat in the dining room. And if u like to dress up and eat in the MDR then do that and have fun with your table. Don't judge others or worry about how they dress. Why let how other people dress bother u?

No??

I agree!! Just follow the rules, move on, and have fun!! My children also love dressing nice on formal night. My daughters start picking out their dresses months before we leave, and my sons even enjoying looking sharp for a few hours. ;)

Actually, due to airline restrictions on luggage (i.e. charging for checked luggage) it is no longer such a simple thing. Four of us pack our clothes in 2 suitcases keeping each under 50 pounds for an 8-10 night trip (we stay at our departure airport the night before our flight and always fly into port city the day before the cruise leaves and sometimes we stay an extra night after the cruise). Just those 2 suitcases cost an extra $100 to get them there and back. An additional 4-8 sets of clothing (my daughter wouldn't wear the same dress to two formal nights) plus 4 pairs of dress shoes is not simple to pack in there. We did it last winter but got by just by the hair of the scales! It would be so much easier to be able to wear regular casual clothes on elegant nights - I'm not talking shorts, t-shirts and flip flops - but jeans and a nice top, clean black running/skate shoes for the boys. There is nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans - even my doctor wears wears them in the office!!!!

Maybe wear your jeans on the flight and pack one less of something. Or pick up a lightweight sundress in port or in town on your day before the cruise and roll it up and put in a carryon on the way home. Heck, I have mailed stuff to myself to save on airline baggage fees! Those "if it fits it ships" boxes are great!

Not saying there is anything wrong with a nice pair of jeans on any other night of the cruise, but there is no way to define jeans as "elegant." Jeans are casual no matter how nice they are.

I don't like elegant night. We go on vacation to relax, not to have to dress up in monkey suits like it's still a work week.

However, I recognize that some people like to dress up.

I think that since every ship has at least two formal dining rooms, they should designate one of them as an MDR with casual dress every night (the same dress code that's allowed on Lido).

The people who want to fancy themselves up can dine with others who feel the same. Those of us who want no part of that can dine with other people who prefer comfort over elegance.

I think the biggest problem is that most people would end up in the casual room and there would be lines for the casual MDR and the formal MDR would be empty.

Archived