Elegant Night or Not?

jtdlmc

Elegant, formal or not?  

677 members have voted

1. 1. Elegant, formal or not?

• Go back to Formal Night where everyone dresses in gowns and tuxes.
    • Keep it how it is but enforce the dress code.
    • Have an "elegant or not night" - nice jeans would be acceptable.
    • Have one dining room formal and the other not for elegant night.

How is NCL LemurCat? I have never cruised them, but they have a really appealing Euro itinerary and I was thinking of booking it (it will have to be a couple of years out, but a girl can dream right?) I would love to hear from someone who has sailed both lines.

It's remarkably similar to CCL. Really. I have no qualms in booking an NCL cruise if the price is right. A lot of people complain about the "paid eateries" (but then rave about the CCL steakhouses), but I think they're a nice option. I was last on the Gem and would sail that ship again in a heart beat. One of my buddies who no longer posts here is absolutely in love with the Epic. If the price is right and the ports are right, I say go for it.

It's remarkably similar to CCL. Really. I have no qualms in booking an NCL cruise if the price is right. A lot of people complain about the "paid eateries" (but then rave about the CCL steakhouses), but I think they're a nice option. I was last on the Gem and would sail that ship again in a heart beat. One of my buddies who no longer posts here is absolutely in love with the Epic. If the price is right and the ports are right, I say go for it.

I like NCL. We cruise mostly CCL and NCL. I think that's funny too how people complain about getting 'nickled and dimed' because they go to the for fee restaurants 3 nights during the cruise and pay $10, $15, $15 per person per night respectivly. But then have no problem plopping down $30pp for the steakhouse and scramble to drop $75 for the Chefs table! I guess simple math is not everyone's strong suit.

Thanks for that!! I may try a "quickie" next summer as a grad present for 2 of the boys (one from HS, one from JC). I have done tons of research on Med cruises and they seem to have the itinerary that is closest to my "dream cruise." Now, if I can only find that winning lottery ticket.....:p

The funny thing is, NCL has more free eateries than Carnival does - I had booked a cruise on the Jewel and there were either 7 or 9 free venues to choose from, plus all the pay options. I actually booked that cruise because of the casual dress code but then cancelled because we really weren't too excited about the ports (had already been to 2 and really did not want to go to the third after researching it). So we decided to put up with the dress code this time and hopefully NCL gets some new Caribbean ports or Carnival moves further away from the elegant dress codes.

I'm in the third group. I DO love dining in nice restaurants, but when I'm on a cruise, I'm in 'tropical mode'. I DO dress up though, because I feel it's expected of me...and it IS nice on those days that you want a formal picture taken, as it gives you a day to dress up for that and not feel out of place, but I would never enforce it on everyone else. I think it's nice that everyone has a choice.

As for what everyone else wears...don't sweat the small stuff. Why should it matter? When you are sitting at the table, you don't even see the bottom half, so as long as they don't have an offensive tee on...or still have their swim suit on, who cares?

As for the dining being a visual experience...I'm one that likes it...but that doesn't mean it is totally necessary. I just read about a restaurant that I totally want to try...and I seriously doubt that it is low class. It's called "Dining in the Dark" Check this out...

http://www.darkdining.com/index_main.php

Now I want to check out the movie, Idiocracy!

I'm in the third group. I DO love dining in nice restaurants, but when I'm on a cruise, I'm in 'tropical mode'. I DO dress up though, because I feel it's expected of me...and it IS nice on those days that you want a formal picture taken, as it gives you a day to dress up for that and not feel out of place, but I would never enforce it on everyone else. I think it's nice that everyone has a choice.

As for what everyone else wears...don't sweat the small stuff. Why should it matter? When you are sitting at the table, you don't even see the bottom half, so as long as they don't have an offensive tee on...or still have their swim suit on, who cares?

As for the dining being a visual experience...I'm one that likes it...but that doesn't mean it is totally necessary. I just read about a restaurant that I totally want to try...and I seriously doubt that it is low class. It's called "Dining in the Dark" Check this out...

http://www.darkdining.com/index_main.php

Now I want to check out the movie, Idiocracy!

WOW! I want to try that restaurant too! Now I'm going to have to plan a trip to one of the cities that has one.

I like the "one dining room formal, one not" idea, like Norwegian offers, but it would be a logistics nightmare for Carnival with the assigned dining. I guess maybe just expect guests to respect the dress code for the evening and not wear their lunch cloths would be ok.

I somewhat agree. I think the status of the cruise line could be brought up if they required elegant dining nights to require dress code to be atleast Semiformal...some people go dressed in attire that you wouldn't ever think of wearing to a business function. It's quite disappointing to me. I wish it would go back to formal gowns and tux or suits....atleast for the very 1st formal dinner

I think they should continue to require more elegant attire in the MDR. If you do not want to dress up there are other dining venues where you may dress more casually.

I like the "one dining room formal, one not" idea, like Norwegian offers, but it would be a logistics nightmare for Carnival with the assigned dining. I guess maybe just expect guests to respect the dress code for the evening and not wear their lunch cloths would be ok.

So ditch the assigned dining. They already have more demand for ATD than they can fill on every sailing. It's just a matter of time this happens. And if people don't like it, nothing is stopping them from showing up at the MDR every night at 5:45. :D

So ditch the assigned dining. They already have more demand for ATD than they can fill on every sailing. It's just a matter of time this happens. And if people don't like it, nothing is stopping them from showing up at the MDR every night at 5:45. :D

GREAT idea!!

Interesting to me that people get so worked up about this issue. As long as it's not a luxury cruise line, I'd rather dress nicely (cocktail dress) one or two nights and wear nice jeans and an evening top the other nights. For men, sportscoat (tie optional) or suit on the dressier nights, then pressed khakis or nice jeans and a polo or buttondown shirt the other nights.

I'll admit, I'd prefer not to have people who smell (dealbreaker!) or are dressed in their faded 10 year old t-shirts at my table, and I'd probably ask to be reseated the next night. But the rest of the dining room? Who really cares? Does everyone spend that much time looking under the tables to see who has on flipflops and who has on Jimmy Choos?

I do. I think the fact that you're seeing classic American cooking done on a higher level has more to do with fine dining trends than how people dress. It's no coincidence that CCL is featuring fried chicken right after Marcus Samuelson opened Red Rooster in NYC.

That's one way to look at it, but they've already had fried chicken, it's had its own lunch buffet day in the past. I'm not saying I don't like that particular lunch buffet, but for it to show up at dinner is aiming pretty low.

I think some of the menu changes say something to what kind of crowd they think they're drawing, and how some people treat dinner has to effect that.

The more casual you're going to get, the more casual they're going to get.

We didn't want to carry the "extra" clothes or fuss with the MDR on our last cruise, so we skipped Formal/Elegant nights. Although I haven't been to one in a while, I wouldn't want them to get rid of them. We're planning to sail next summer with family and friends, half of whom haven't cruised before, so it'll be a great experience in the MDR on formal night with them.

I like the idea of the one formal dining room, one casual dining room. And then really enforce the No shorts, wife beaters , bathing suist , whatever rule.

Let the people who want the formal night experience have theirs , and the people who want to just be casual and enjoy the exact same meal with the exact same service have theirs.

Not everyone has taken so many cruises that is old for them though.

Everyone can think what they want, but how others around you are dressed does impact your dining experience. They could serve the same food as the buffet and it would seem nicer because it is being served to you, it is presented nicely on the plate, the lighting, etc. One of those factors is that everyone is dressed nicely and not wearing shorts or swimsuit coverups.

I agree that there may be some benefit to having other alternatives for people who do not want to dress up, but there already is an extensive buffet on the lido deck (although I have not eaten there at dinner as we always go to mdr. Maybe it could be improved upon?), room service, and people can carry out lobster from mdr. I just think it is inconsiderate to show up wearing jeans when it is supposed to be elegant night and other diners have made an effort to look nice.

No, the way other people dress does not affect my dining experience.

The Buffet on some cruise lines is done up nice and have a nice variety of food. CCL does not do well in the evening for dining at the buffet.

No one should be penalized for not wanting to dress up in the evening.

I just wanted to make a "suggestion" (for the ladies) if it has not already been posted.

I have been on more than 10 cruises, and STILL plan to do more. In ALL these cruises, I have NEVER had to buy a new formal/elegant dress. I have always bought them at a consignment shop or the thrift store. You say, maybe they need to be cleaned and that is "expensive," well not for me, as I do not take them to the dry cleaners. I clean them myself, either by hand, or the dryer sheet, and every time they look very elegant. I am always getting compliments (I'm in my 60's) on my dresses, not from just men, but ladies too.:)

I know this will "ruffel feathers" and it is only MY opinion, but I feel within the past 10 - 20 years, many people are getting LAZY, and just "throw" something on to cover themselves. Do I wear jeans/shorts, etc., YES when the "right" time comes for me to wear them. As someone mentioned earlier, if you don't want to go to the MDR where the tables are set up nice, than go elsewhere.

I fly SW, so I don't have to pay for "extra" luggage.:)

I think that people who still love to dress up probably played with Barbie dolls when they were little and never got it out of their system.:D Those of us who feel a cruise is a vacation to relax and not to have to pack an additional suitcase (now with the added luggage expenses on flights) just for two evenings, in a mediocre setting, should be able to maintain a casual dress attire.

Having said that, I would never wear jeans, flipflops, t-shirts, to a dining room even on regular evenings. A shirt with a collar and slacks works fine for my hubby and a blouse/sweater with slacks or skirt fine for me.

My food or dining experience will not be any different if I were dressed to the nines, as some people seem to think it would. I really don't pay any attention to what other people are wearing because I like to focus my attention on the one person who came with me on this cruise, my husband.

Judging people by what they are wearing really is a waste of time.

BTW, if the Lido buffet had edible food, I would consider eating there for some evening meals. Some cruise lines actually make a real effort to make the buffet food equally as appealing and tasty as the MDR. My experience with NCL and Holland America had excellent evening choices and quality. Carnival just hasn't been able to do it.

I think those who want to dress up should have their own dining room on the formal nights and they would need to make reservations in order to manage the crowds and the same for those who also prefer the MDR but enjoy a more casual dress attire. Of course that would never happen because it really would cause confusion both for the guests and the crew and there really is no reason the change what is already in place. People just need to learn to be more respectful and tolerant of other people's choices.

I have one "travel" pair of pants (Chicos Travelers) & one long black jersey dress. They are crushable & don't need ironing. I get glittery tops & accessories for them. Easy to mix & match & don't take up much room in a suitcase.

You never see the same people on a cruise, so you only need one outfit!;):cool::rolleyes:

I personally like Carnival and NCL's dress codes when it comes to the MDR and elegant/dress up or not nights. It caters to all people (except those who are bothered by others that don't dress to their standards). If you like to be dressy you can or you can dress down (within the dress code).

IMHO if you are the type of person that wants everyone in the MDR to be formal or it ruins your cruise then NCL and Carnival are not the ships for you. There are cruiselines out there that cater to those expectations. Carnival and NCL do not. If you like to dress up and don't care what others are wearing or if you like dress down (again within the dress code)and you don't care what others are wearing, then CCL and NCL are catering to you.

DD likes to point out how much more relaxed DH and DS are with each cruise we go on. Our first 2 cruises were on Disney. DD and I wore formal dresses and DH and DS wore suits. Our next 2 cruises were on Carnival. DD and I still wore formal dress. DH and DS were down to shirts and ties. Our next cruise was NCL. DD and I wore sundresses and DH and DS wore Polo shirts (dress up or not was definately in play here). Back to Carnival for our next 3. DD and I wore cocktail dresses, DH dress shirts with ties and DS dress shirts with no ties.

What we didn't do, was worry about what anyone else was wearing. They had no bearing on our enjoyment of each others company or the food we were eating. We were dressing to please ourselves (within our cruiselines dress codes) and not to please anyone else around us. That is one of the reasons we like sailing NCL and CCL. DS and DH are not suit or tux type of people. DS would be very difficult to fit (6'8" and extremely skinny) and they would both be uncomfortable. I choose less formal lines so they can enjoy the food in the MDR on elegant/dress up or not nights in clothes that they are comfortable wearing and DD and I can still glam it up a bit more without looking out of place.

Our upcoming cruise is on NCL. I have a formal gown I'm dying to wear. DD(14) has a couple cocktail dresses that she loves to wear from school dances. DH will don his dress shirt and tie for a couple nights and DS(17) (gotta love him) will wear some button down shirts I will through in the suit case for him, I won't force the child into a tie. We will dress to please each other and ourselves and we will be having a blast doing it. Isn't that what a vacation is all about? Having fun with your family and friends?

I like the idea of the one formal dining room, one casual dining room. And then really enforce the No shorts, wife beaters , bathing suist , whatever rule.

Let the people who want the formal night experience have theirs , and the people who want to just be casual and enjoy the exact same meal with the exact same service have theirs.

I also voted this way. I personally follow the dress code and dress appropriately but I do that because I want to eat in the dining room and have the food that is better to me than the buffet. I would like the option of being able to eat in the main dining room but leave my fancy clothes/shoes at home. DH & I want to be casual on vacation but I don't want to miss out on the dining room experience so we end up lugging all the fancy gear along just so we don't have to eat at the buffet.

I think most posting here are saying that the outfits you just described are well within the "elegant night" dress code.

It's those who want to wear their jeans and t-shirts to the MDR on elegant night that some feel should be asked to comply with the dress code.

That's why I said I lke the NCL and CCL dress code as they are ;). I personally feel jeans and t-shirts are ok on non-elegant nights on CCL and on NCL, since their nights are Dress Up or Not, they can be worn in the non dress up dining room on those nights as well as the casual nights.

IMHO when you choose a cruiseline to sail, you choose to follow their rules, including their dress code. If you do not agree with their dress code and will be offended by those dressing down to the lowest level of that code, then you should sail on a cruiseline with a stricter dress code. If you want to wear your jeans and t-shirts in the MDR on a Dress Up or Not Night then you might want to sail NCL since they allow that in one of their MDR. It goes both ways. We dress within the dress code whether we are dressed up or dressed down. We dress to please each other and ourselves within those guidelines and if those guidelines do not meet our approval then we wouldn't sail that cruiseline. The choice is still ours.

I have to say that if someone chooses to dress lower than the dress code, I personally would not care. Again their choice to ignore the dress code. My choice is for my family to follow the rules of the cruiseline we choose. What someone else chooses to do is their business and does not affect me or mine in anyway when it comes to what they wear (unless they are dressing down to the extreme or exposing body parts that they shouldn't and making a fool of themselves...then they may be giving us our laugh for the day-but that is their choice if they want to provide comedy for the rest of us.)

From the looks of the poll, it would appear that elegant night is still appreciated by the majority of CCL cruisers that visit CC.:D

This seems to hold true on the other cruise lines that have had polls also.

Another observation is that the people most against dressing for the occasion are usually men.;)

Archived