Elegant Night or Not?

jtdlmc

Elegant, formal or not?  

677 members have voted

1. 1. Elegant, formal or not?

• Go back to Formal Night where everyone dresses in gowns and tuxes.
    • Keep it how it is but enforce the dress code.
    • Have an "elegant or not night" - nice jeans would be acceptable.
    • Have one dining room formal and the other not for elegant night.

So why feel entitled to snub a simple dress code asking for a little effort to look a little nicer at the MDR on elegant night?? It really isn't that difficult.

No one is asking anyone to wear a ballgown or a tux, a simple sundress and a pair of dress pants would do. I can't believe there is a woman alive that doesn't own one dress or a man that hasn't had to wear a pair of dress pants to a wedding/funeral/holiday party that he could dig out of mothballs for one night.

I have 3 teenage boys who I am sure would prefer to be in their jeans but they have never once complained about putting on a pair of dress pants on elegant night. It's such a simple thing.

Ellen DeGenerous for one. :p

I don't like elegant night. We go on vacation to relax, not to have to dress up in monkey suits like it's still a work week.

However, I recognize that some people like to dress up.

I think that since every ship has at least two formal dining rooms, they should designate one of them as an MDR with casual dress every night (the same dress code that's allowed on Lido).

The people who want to fancy themselves up can dine with others who feel the same. Those of us who want no part of that can dine with other people who prefer comfort over elegance.

I think the biggest problem is that most people would end up in the casual room and there would be lines for the casual MDR and the formal MDR would be empty.

So whats that tell you?

We leave home in below-zero temps and return to below-zero temps so wouldn't be travelling to and from the airport in shorts, capris or sundresses. We'd have jeans with us anyway, whereas we wouldn't travel with "elegant" clothes if we didn't have to.

We often leave home in similar weather, wearing jeans....which we put on again when it's time to travel home. I don't pack extra pairs, though. As I said, they're just too bulky and heavy for me and my family to pack.

I also noted that I don't care what others wear.

It is too funny how much discussion elegant night versus no elegant night can create. It really seems simple if you look at the basics.

Do you tell your boss to shove his dress code because you're at work and you need to be comfortable and go to work wearing flip flops when they have a closed toe shoe rule??

Would you tell your childs principal that the school dress code doesn't work for you so you are not going to adhere to it and send you child to school in inappropriate attire??

No??

So why feel entitled to snub a simple dress code asking for a little effort to look a little nicer at the MDR on elegant night?? It really isn't that difficult.

Apples to oranges. How you can equate a work (essential to getting paid) and education (essential to getting a good job and getting paid) to vacation (non-essential, and you're paying for the privilege of being there) is beyond me.

And yes, I have told my boss I'm not wearing dress shoes. And yes, in a way, the local principal DOES work for me, as he's paid by my tax dollars.

I don't like elegant night. We go on vacation to relax, not to have to dress up in monkey suits like it's still a work week.

However, I recognize that some people like to dress up.

I think that since every ship has at least two formal dining rooms, they should designate one of them as an MDR with casual dress every night (the same dress code that's allowed on Lido).

The people who want to fancy themselves up can dine with others who feel the same. Those of us who want no part of that can dine with other people who prefer comfort over elegance.

I think the biggest problem is that most people would end up in the casual room and there would be lines for the casual MDR and the formal MDR would be empty.

I don't think anyone is saying you have to wear a "monkey suit". I think if you look back at the posts, most are saying just take a step up from jeans to khakis or dress pants. Most say a tux is too much and that a dress shirt and nice slacks would be great.

As far as people lining up for the casual MDR I am not sure that would be the case. In the poll it appears most prefer that CCL enforce the dress code so it would seem the majority of people enjoy the ambiance of elegant night and would probably opt out of casual dining.

I

I don't think it's a coincidence that fried chicken and burgers have shown up, let's put it that way.

I do. I think the fact that you're seeing classic American cooking done on a higher level has more to do with fine dining trends than how people dress. It's no coincidence that CCL is featuring fried chicken right after Marcus Samuelson opened Red Rooster in NYC.

According to the poll, it appears most would like the dress code enforced.

Not by a very large margin - the last two options are basically against the current dress code, so they should've been grouped together.

Apples to oranges. How you can equate a work (essential to getting paid) and education (essential to getting a good job and getting paid) to vacation (non-essential, and you're paying for the privilege of being there) is beyond me.

And yes, I have told my boss I'm not wearing dress shoes. And yes, in a way, the local principal DOES work for me, as he's paid by my tax dollars.

Making an analogy LemurCat. How about, would you go in McDonald's without shoes? You could, but they would ask you to leave.

Having been a public servant years ago I had to chuckle at the paid by tax dollars thing. When someone would tell me that I would simply say, well, I too pay taxes, and using that logic I guess that makes me self employed, so I think I will take the rest of the day off! :p

I live in the country and don't get many opportunities to dress up, so I am looking forward to elegant night. However, I will be casual the rest of the time... Jeans/boots, shorts, swimsuit/sandals for me!!... Can't wait!! First Cruise, of many! :D

It seems to me that most people don't care or want "elegant" night. The people that don't care don't let themselves become worked up over what other people are or are not wearing! Those that what to dress elegent want everyone else to do so as well (you have to do what I do or I'm not happy) - hmm......I think there is a word for that personality trait! Why can't people dress up if they want to and leave the others alone is what I don't understand.

Lemur Cat - you are just all over the board!!! Can't make up your mind one way or the other or just like to comment on everything - lol???? :D

I don't think anyone is saying you have to wear a "monkey suit". I think if you look back at the posts, most are saying just take a step up from jeans to khakis or dress pants. Most say a tux is too much and that a dress shirt and nice slacks would be great.

As far as people lining up for the casual MDR I am not sure that would be the case. In the poll it appears most prefer that CCL enforce the dress code so it would seem the majority of people enjoy the ambiance of elegant night and would probably opt out of casual dining.

Many of us find dress pants, and even khakis, uncomfortable. We go on vacation to relax, and "relaxing" clothes are shorts, jeans, sweats, and whatever else people find comfortable.

As for the poll, I think it's quite obvious that almost every poll on CC is skewed. This forum contains a MUCH higher percentage of "cruise snobs" than you'll ever find on an actual ship. Most people who cruise don't research forums for opinions, rules, etc. They just book a vacation, pack what they think is comfortable, and have a good time.

On the cruise that I took two weeks ago, I didn't see a single tux on formal night and I only saw one evening gown. Most people wore khakis, slacks, or dresses (ranging from casual dresses to semi-dressy dresses). On the other four nights of the cruise, most people wore jeans and shorts to the MDR. About 20% of the men and women wore semi-dressy attire (men in khakis and women in casual dresses). I'm not sure I saw anybody "dressed up" on a non-formal night. This tells me that the MAJORITY of cruisers want to relax and enjoy themselves in comfortable clothes while they cruise, regardless of what any skewed CC polls might suggest.

The cruisers who want to dress for a wedding every night should consider cruising with cruise lines like Regent and Crystal, or they should just accept that most people don't want to get dressed up and stop trying to get family cruise lines to enforce a dress code. Obviously there's a reason that all of the family cruise lines are slowly moving toward more casual dress...it's because that's what the majority of cruisers want!

Many of us find dress pants, and even khakis, uncomfortable. We go on vacation to relax, and "relaxing" clothes are shorts, jeans, sweats, and whatever else people find comfortable.

As for the poll, I think it's quite obvious that almost every poll on CC is skewed. This forum contains a MUCH higher percentage of "cruise snobs" than you'll ever find on an actual ship. Most people who cruise don't research forums for opinions, rules, etc. They just book a vacation, pack what they think is comfortable, and have a good time.

On the cruise that I took two weeks ago, I didn't see a single tux on formal night and I only saw one evening gown. Most people wore khakis, slacks, or dresses (ranging from casual dresses to semi-dressy dresses). On the other four nights of the cruise, most people wore jeans and shorts to the MDR. About 20% of the men and women wore semi-dressy attire (men in khakis and women in casual dresses). I'm not sure I saw anybody "dressed up" on a non-formal night. This tells me that the MAJORITY of cruisers want to relax and enjoy themselves in comfortable clothes while they cruise, regardless of what any skewed CC polls might suggest.

The cruisers who want to dress for a wedding every night should consider cruising with cruise lines like Regent and Crystal, or they should just accept that most people don't want to get dressed up and stop trying to get family cruise lines to enforce a dress code. Obviously there's a reason that all of the family cruise lines are slowly moving toward more casual dress...it's because that's what the majority of cruisers want!

This is a very, very logical post. I totally agree with you!!!

Lemur Cat - you are just all over the board!!! Can't make up your mind one way or the other or just like to comment on everything - lol???? :D

As I've said clearly before, I have no problem with the current dress code as it and would like CCL to enforce it. I have major issues with people who want everyone to conform with the dress code for their own purposes - i.e., the "it's my vacation, so do it my way or I'll throw a temper tantrum" crowd. I also like to point out the logical fallacies in some of the statements people make, like the one corrolating friend chicken to the casual dress.

And yes, I do like to comment on everything. I'm bored and the boss is out of town.

Well, I am no "Cruise Snob." As you can tell by my signature this will only be my 4th cruise. Had you read my previous posts, you would note that the attire you are describing is exactly what I have been promoting. I don't think anyone has said they want to "dress for a wedding every night." People are simply saying what you have stated above is great for elegant night khakis, slacks, or dresses (ranging from casual dresses to semi-dressy dresses).

Why should folks who want to follow the dress code presented by CCL have to find another line to cruise?? Maybe the folks who want to wear their sweatpants to dinner should check out a Days Inn?

Love reading the ongoing, barbed comments that one usually only finds on the CCL site! Not that it really makes any difference to anyone, but here is another vote to simply ENFORCE the current dress code on elegant nights in the MDR. This is one reason we really like Celebrity.

I happen to enjoy wearing a tux, have no problem packing it, and enjoy the many comments one gets from the ladies about being really great looking-okay it helps the ego too. At the same time, I have no problem with those men who simply want to wear a shirt and tie.

People are simply saying what you have stated above is great for elegant night khakis, slacks, or dresses (ranging from casual dresses to semi-dressy dresses).[

I stated this is what was OBSERVED on elegant night. Our difference of opinion is that I think people should not be REQUIRED to dress this way or feel out of place if they choose not to dress up. Given the choice, my entire family would wear shorts or tube dresses every night of the cruise and never choose to dress up. My family is not in the minority (except among the CC crowd). That's why I think a nice compromise would be to have a formal MDR and a casual MDR. It would allow the people who want to dress up to do so and it would also allow everybody else to be as casual as they want without feeling like they're breaking some sort of rule.

I stated this is what was OBSERVED on elegant night. Our difference of opinion is that I think people should not be REQUIRED to dress this way or feel out of place if they choose not to dress up. Given the choice, my entire family would wear shorts or tube dresses every night of the cruise and never choose to dress up. My family is not in the minority (except among the CC crowd). That's why I think a nice compromise would be to have a formal MDR and a casual MDR. It would allow the people who want to dress up to do so and it would also allow everybody else to be as casual as they want without feeling like they're breaking some sort of rule.

Rock, that's how NCL runs their dining rooms, plus it's all ATD. It would be great to somehow meld CCL's food with NCL's dining room set up. ;)

Rock, that's how NCL runs their dining rooms, plus it's all ATD. It would be great to somehow meld CCL's food with NCL's dining room set up. ;)

I need to try NCL sometime - thinking maybe out of New Orleans next year on a last minute deeply discounted cruise.

And I can totally agree with the two dining room concept.

I will say I did not have the same experience as you on my prior cruises though, the majority of folks were dressed up to the point where I felt somewhat underdressed in a cocktail dress and they seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.

I don't think any of us can say whose is the majority opinion though. We are merely a few of the tens of thousands that set sail each week and I don't claim to speak for anyone other than myself and my family.

How is NCL LemurCat? I have never cruised them, but they have a really appealing Euro itinerary and I was thinking of booking it (it will have to be a couple of years out, but a girl can dream right?) I would love to hear from someone who has sailed both lines.

Archived