Are candles allowed?

marie1971

I will be on my first cruise on the brilliance next February and was wondering if candles were allowed in the cabin or on the balcony? We will be away on valentines day and was hoping to do a romantic candlelit meal on the balcony on valentines evening. Does anyone know if this is possible???

I will be on my first cruise on the brilliance next February and was wondering if candles were allowed in the cabin or on the balcony? We will be away on valentines day and was hoping to do a romantic candlelit meal on the balcony on valentines evening. Does anyone know if this is possible???

Not a chance.Fire Hazard

Buy something like these.......... They really look real...http://www.target.com/p/Flickering-Battery-Operated-Tealight-Candle-4-pk/-/A-10707202 or these http://www.target.com/p/Set-of-3-Flameless-Pillar-Candles-with-Remote/-/A-11011173?reco=Rec_pdp_11011173_ClickCP_Adjacency

Jimbo:)

Not a chance.Fire Hazard

Buy something like these.......... They really look real...http://www.target.com/p/Flickering-Battery-Operated-Tealight-Candle-4-pk/-/A-10707202 or these http://www.target.com/p/Set-of-3-Flameless-Pillar-Candles-with-Remote/-/A-11011173?reco=Rec_pdp_11011173_ClickCP_Adjacency

Jimbo:)

I brought some of these on my cruise last week . .. they were great. really romanitc on the balcony at night. sigh . ... I wish I was back there ... sigh.

Bring only battery operated candles ,no fire hazard !:cool:

Fire is the one of the biggest threats on a cruise ship, so just about anything that increases that risk is going to be verboten. Pick up some LED candles, they'll look quite similar unless you're looking at the 'flame', and you should be looking into your loved one's eyes anyway. :D

Candles are on the list.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade lenght less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

As others have said, use an LED candle. No open flame allowed onboard.

Fire is the one of the biggest threats on a cruise ship, so just about anything that increases that risk is going to be verboten. Pick up some LED candles, they'll look quite similar unless you're looking at the 'flame', and you should be looking into your loved one's eyes anyway. :D

Hey thanks.....I learned a new word today!

I am probably just being dense here, but I get why everything

on that list is not allowed aboard a ship except for the HAM

radio. Why would that be on a list with fireworks and

martial arts weapons? I can't imagine a radio being a

threat to anyone or anything?

Perhaps not wanting passengers transmitting on the same frequencies as the ship uses? Esp the bridge?

The flameless candles are wonderful but don't get the ones that are too real looking... We had one on our balcony and got a visit from a crew member that was sent from the bridge to confiscate the candle.. Once they saw that it wasn't real there was no problems..

we were in a very forward balcony near the bridge..

Luckily were were just out talking and enjoying a glass of wine

Simply, no........

Thanks for the info guys, I will pick up some of the battery operated ones then! (better leave the handcuffs at home as well then! lol)

Well I guess you know the answer to your question by now.

Just gonna say- "Have an awesome first cruise!!":)

The radio per say may not be hazardous but with the power and frequency ranges it could interfere with the ships radios and some navigation equipment.

They could cause interference. And different frequencies are used in different countries regions of the world. A US Ham radio frequency may be used for some other radio service elsewhere. That said it is possible to use Ham Radios if you get special permission from the cruise line and ships Captain.

They could cause interference. And different frequencies are used in different countries regions of the world. A US Ham radio frequency may be used for some other radio service elsewhere. That said it is possible to use Ham Radios if you get special permission from the cruise line and ships Captain.

Thanks for the information.... my son was is a ham operator and was thinking he could 'talk' with folks from around the world from the ship. We want to follow all of the rules.

first is STAR PRINCESS: in the Carib' between Cayman and Jamacia a fire broke out at 3AM ... attributed to a cigarette butt falling on something left on a balcony which led to new regulations about sprinkler system coverage, ability to see balconies from monitoring systems and not leaving things on balconies

second is Carnival Ecstasy which as it departed the Port of Miami in July 1998 was called by the Coast Guard Base at the end of the channel: "Captain, are you aware your ship is on fire?" Attributed to unauthorized welding performed in a manner that caused sparks to fall onto a mooring line storage reel which caught on fire. The burning 'plastic' rope produced a very hot and smokey fire. They were burning as they passed my ship, moored at the base.

I see you've sailed MONARCH several times. You might find this report entertaining reading, it is about the incident resulting in the ship being intentionally run aground to avoid sinking, also in 1998

Archived