Did Sea Princess miss the Fiordland National Park

Oh I hope not. When we went through last year, we entered around 8am, exiting about an hr an a half later, then out to sea, back in for 3 other sounds. There was enough time to grab lunch and warm up inside, inbetween the sounds. Have heard that sometimes weather does impact on entry to Milford, due to the small entryway and roughish conditions, but I think most get through.

Jen

sea_bridge.jpg

Did Sea Princess miss the Fiordland National Park Today ?

Maybe due to the weather ?

Yes, the Sea Princess did miss Fiordland National Park :( ( I think it may have been due to the weather, as it has been quite windy down there the last few days.

Wonder if they got into Thompson, Doubtful or Dusky Sounds...they have a larger entrance don't they? Jen

In the past , if the weather is a bit "iffy" they are the ones the ships miss and they try like crazy to make it into Milford Sound.

In the past , if the weather is a bit "iffy" they are the ones the ships miss and they try like crazy to make it into Milford Sound.

That's interesting David. We were lucky last time to see all, but Milford is def the most appealing to me. I do remember it being calm going into Milford, and choppy around the others at the time. Hope they made it in.

Jen

Dawn Princess is there today.

Wonder if she makes it in?

According to http://www.cruisenewzealand.org.nz/schedule.aspx The Dawn Princess does not do Fiordland National Park, till tomorrow (22/10/2011)

Hehehe.....just having a small chuckle....the wildlife must be wondering what's going on, with so many ships entering this season!!

Jen

Yes, they wont know what is going on!

Dawn Princess is in the Fiords today OK...

21dawn.jpg

David,

Thanks. It looks beautiful. I'm really looking forward to seeing NZ's fjords from a ship.

I seem to remember New Zealanders spell fiord, in lieu of fjord, as the cruise ship does. Do you know the backround re difference in spelling.

I seem to remember New Zealanders spell fiord, in lieu of fjord, as the cruise ship does. Do you know the backround re difference in spelling.

I dont know for sure. I have always assumed that Fiord , is the English spelling and ,Fjord is Norwegian.:confused:

I dont know for sure. I have always assumed that Fiord , is the English spelling and ,Fjord is Norwegian.:confused:

You are right, David.

You learn something every day.

My Concise Oxford Dictionary states -

fiord, fjord - long narrow arm of sea between high cliffs as in Norway.

I didn't get to enter Milford Sound on the HAL Volendam last Christmas. The seas were so rough the captain even advised us all to stay in bed until things settled. :(

I was disappointed, but ya gotta put safety first.

I have seen Milford Sound twice before, just on the tour boats that operate from Milford, but would love to do that entry from the ocean, and I've never seen Doubtful et al further down.

I hope I get to go in there this year on Sun Princess (30 Nov sailing). Fingers crossed there wont' be too much motion in the ocean that day. :)

The overnight Doubtful Sound cruise with Real Journeys is amazing. We did this for our 25th wedding anniversary. LOVED it.

Thats a wonderful tour if you are staying in Fiordland. Unfortunately it is not an option for cruise ship passengers unless they visit pre or post cruise and stay a day or two. .:)

Dawn Princess is there today.

Wonder if she makes it in?

Yes, our son is staff on the Dawn and he told us they'd been there. He also told us that yes, the reason the Sea Princess couldn't go was due to the high winds. He'd been afraid the Dawn would encounter the same problem, but fortunately they didn't.

Archived