First time cruiser booking questions

My Disney Fantasy dreams were dashed when their exorbitant prices were released for 2013. The kids are unhappy but we have still decided to give cruising a try and after comparing lines and ships have decided on Freedom of the Seas. It appears 2013 summer schedules won't be released until next Spring. So my questions are:

1. Does RCCL seem to keep the same itineraries? We like the EC that appears to be sailing in 2012 with Coco Cay, St Thomas & St Maarten.

2. We would want a FOV cabin and I know their are not many. Best to book as soon as schedules are released?

3. Does RCCL ever offer their own OBC or should we find a TA to get some incentives?

I think that's all I've got for now. Thanks for any assistance.

My Disney Fantasy dreams were dashed when their exorbitant prices were released for 2013. The kids are unhappy but we have still decided to give cruising a try and after comparing lines and ships have decided on Freedom of the Seas. It appears 2013 summer schedules won't be released until next Spring. So my questions are:

1. Does RCCL seem to keep the same itineraries? We like the EC that appears to be sailing in 2012 with Coco Cay, St Thomas & St Maarten.

2. We would want a FOV cabin and I know their are not many. Best to book as soon as schedules are released?

3. Does RCCL ever offer their own OBC or should we find a TA to get some incentives?

I think that's all I've got for now. Thanks for any assistance.

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. First time cruisers can take advantage of RC's "WOW" sale, in which you get OBC and half-price deposits. (although the whole fare must ultimately be paid.) In addition, if you own 100 shares of RC stock, you can get OBC. (but you cannot combine these two).

We are in the same boat (no pun intended) as you are! We are taking our second DCL cruise this year for spring break and we've already booked RCI's FOTS for 2013 spring break! Because we've never cruised RCI before, we did take advantage of the WOW sale, and got OBC...... I wanted a particular stateroom so I booked this early, and I will continue to watch prices and if they drop I will call and get the adjustment!

To be quite honest, as much as I love Mickey, I am really MORE excited for this ship.......

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. First time cruisers can take advantage of RC's "WOW" sale, in which you get OBC and half-price deposits. (although the whole fare must ultimately be paid.) In addition, if you own 100 shares of RC stock, you can get OBC. (but you cannot combine these two).

More information please, Merion Mom, about the relationship between RCI stock and OBC??

More information please, Merion Mom, about the relationship between RCI stock and OBC??

Sandy, a benefit of stock ownership is the granting of OBC when you take any cruise offered by Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD (RCL), which includes the cruise lines Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara.

Click on this link to read the details of this offer.

Great replies.

Do WOW sales happen at open day? I am not sure if I counted correctly but it looked as if there were only about 6 FOV cabins on the whole ship. I am hoping it will cost less than getting 2 regular OV cabins for the 5 of us. We can manage with 1 bathroom. There are always the public bathrooms if someone is desperate!

WOW sales are usually one in spring and one time in the fall. Grab the cabins you want when schedules are first released. Also, prices tend to rise after first release. And, yes, itineraries tend to stay the same with Freedom.

Sandy, a benefit of stock ownership is the granting of OBC when you take any cruise offered by Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD (RCL), which includes the cruise lines Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara.

Click on this link to read the details of this offer.

Thanks for the link. Hmm, at today's stock price would have to take quite a few cruises to make it worthwhile, but good to know! It does not look like it is combinable with any other OBC either or even loyalty offers (would that include balcony discounts I wonder?)

Thanks for the link. Hmm, at today's stock price would have to take quite a few cruises to make it worthwhile, but good to know! It does not look like it is combinable with any other OBC either or even loyalty offers (would that include balcony discounts I wonder?)

You are correct, it's not combinable with balcony discounts. But, if you're taking a 3/4/5 day cruise in an OV or less, the OBC from shareholder benefit is $50, rather than the $25 from booking on board.

As far as itineraries go, yes, they pretty much stay the same.

If you know that you definitely want a particular room and are willing to pay the first rate that comes along just to guarantee that you have that room, then by all means, book it as soon as possible.

As far as "perks" are concerned, whether or not you go with RCCL or a TA depends on what kind of perks you think are worth it. In my opinion(and I repeat, this is just my opinion), the OBC from RCCL's WOW sale isn't really worth waiting specifically for, and the reduced deposit thing is just OK. Some TA's do offer OBC and other different things, but I have yet to find anyone offering any perks that really grab my attention, or my business. I would rather just get a plain old good deal on the cruise, because sometimes if you time your booking just right, the amount you save is better than the perks you would have gotten. For example, a few family members and I just booked a January cruise. We were going to do it during the WOW sale and get $200 OBC per room. We were booking 3 rooms with 2 people in each, so basically the OBC would be like saving $100 pp. I convinced everyone to wait, and the weekend immediately following the WOW sale, the price dropped substantially. We booked then and wound up saving $270 pp, or $540 a room. Does it always work out this way? No. It's just something to keep in mind.

What I would suggest doing is this: since you have a good idea of when you would like to cruise and the itinerary you would like, start looking it up now. The rates for summer 2013 may not be available, but you can look at 2012 just to get a general idea of what the rate is for the particular ship, room and itinerary. If you do look it up, keep track of it and keep looking it up. This will do 2 things. First, it will prevent "sticker shock" when the actual cruise you want is published. Second, it will give you a good idea of what the cruise can cost at various times, so that when yours becomes available you can decide if it is worth taking a chance and waiting for a possibly better price, or just booking it and trying to get any adjustments later on if the price drops. Be advised, getting price drop adjustments has become tricky in recent years.

Anyway, let me put one more disclaimer in my post. These are obviously only my opinions. I am not telling you what to do, nor am I saying that my opinions are the best and work all of the time. They are just suggestions. I'm just saying this because I know that there will be people who completely disagree with me and may be very "vocal" about it. I'm hoping they are all away from their computers right now.:D

As far as itineraries go, yes, they pretty much stay the same.

If you know that you definitely want a particular room and are willing to pay the first rate that comes along just to guarantee that you have that room, then by all means, book it as soon as possible.

As far as "perks" are concerned, whether or not you go with RCCL or a TA depends on what kind of perks you think are worth it. In my opinion(and I repeat, this is just my opinion), the OBC from RCCL's WOW sale isn't really worth waiting specifically for, and the reduced deposit thing is just OK. Some TA's do offer OBC and other different things, but I have yet to find anyone offering any perks that really grab my attention, or my business. I would rather just get a plain old good deal on the cruise, because sometimes if you time your booking just right, the amount you save is better than the perks you would have gotten. For example, a few family members and I just booked a January cruise. We were going to do it during the WOW sale and get $200 OBC per room. We were booking 3 rooms with 2 people in each, so basically the OBC would be like saving $100 pp. I convinced everyone to wait, and the weekend immediately following the WOW sale, the price dropped substantially. We booked then and wound up saving $270 pp, or $540 a room. Does it always work out this way? No. It's just something to keep in mind.

What I would suggest doing is this: since you have a good idea of when you would like to cruise and the itinerary you would like, start looking it up now. The rates for summer 2013 may not be available, but you can look at 2012 just to get a general idea of what the rate is for the particular ship, room and itinerary. If you do look it up, keep track of it and keep looking it up. This will do 2 things. First, it will prevent "sticker shock" when the actual cruise you want is published. Second, it will give you a good idea of what the cruise can cost at various times, so that when yours becomes available you can decide if it is worth taking a chance and waiting for a possibly better price, or just booking it and trying to get any adjustments later on if the price drops. Be advised, getting price drop adjustments has become tricky in recent years.

Anyway, let me put one more disclaimer in my post. These are obviously only my opinions. I am not telling you what to do, nor am I saying that my opinions are the best and work all of the time. They are just suggestions. I'm just saying this because I know that there will be people who completely disagree with me and may be very "vocal" about it. I'm hoping they are all away from their computers right now.:D

But couldn't you just get an adjustment to your price and still have the OBC? I booked the Allure during the WOW sale just for the reduced deposits for Sept. 2013 as i had just booked 2 other cruises. The price was the same before and after the sale. That is why I went ahead and booked.

Only first-time cruisers can use the WOW sale? Or is it new bookings?

I wasn't ready when the October one came out and now I suppose there won't be another for awhile.

PeaPod, my answer was specifically for the OP, who hasn't sailed on RC before.

Experienced RC cruisers usually can do much better than the benefits of the WOW sale, but for a first-timer, that's probably the best deal that she can get.

But couldn't you just get an adjustment to your price and still have the OBC? I booked the Allure during the WOW sale just for the reduced deposits for Sept. 2013 as i had just booked 2 other cruises. The price was the same before and after the sale. That is why I went ahead and booked.

LIke I said, getting the adjustments has been tricky in recent years. Some people have reported on other posts that they have been unable to get them. I have gotten a price drop adjustment in the past, but that was before RCI changed their rules. From reading about the trouble other people were having, I decided that I would rather wait for a really good price. So I did, and the price I got was great. It was enough to make-up for the OBC that I didn't get, and then some. As far as OBC goes, I have the RCI Visa card, so I have been building up for OBC anyway. As I said, this is just my opinion, and the way I prefer to book. It's actually the same way you did things. You saw a price/deal that you liked and booked when you wanted to. I waited until I saw a price/deal that I liked and booked when I wanted to. All in all, it's a matter of perspective. As my cousin's husband said, "My only criteria for booking this cruise is that I am on the boat!" There is no right or wrong way to book a cruise. When you see what works for you, then go for it.

Archived