whale watching Icy Straits

gdpups

I am currently booked for July 2012 whale watch trip with Orca in Juneau, but now I'm reading that Icy Straits is better, plus that leaves more to do in Juneau. I'm torn on whether to cancel with Orca and book a whale watch trip in Icy Straits.

I've looked at reviews for independents in Icy Strait, but it appears most are on very small boats. My daughter can suffer from motion sickness which is why I originally booked with Orca vs Harv and Marv, Orca has a larger boat so would hopefully be more stable.

My question is are there any independent operators in Icy Strait with larger vessels for whale watching or do I risk a smaller boat. Also, if anyone has been on the whale watching excursion through the ship I'd like to ask what the experience was like as that might be a better bet. Thanks for your help!

Whale watching in ISP is really spectacular! You sure wouldn't be disappointed. We went with Misty Bay Lodge, and we'd highly recommend them, Capt. Dan was the best - but it was on a six passenger boat, so that won't work for you, will it? We did see the larger boats that the cruiseline used, and they were large....and crowded, but they saw the same things we did - instance after instance of bubblenet feeding and breaching. It was really something. So if you're worried about your daughter and seasickness, then I'd recommend booking thru the cruiseline to insure the larger boat. But if you decide to give the smaller boats a try, my vote goes to Misty Bay Lodge - it was a fantastic tour and we had a wonderful time!

In my experience, humpbacks are seen 100 % of the trips from both locations. Out of Hoonah- doesn't' have any "special whale club" that means better watching. I have had spectacular sightings out of Juneau and EVERY trip is different. You can NOT expect anything more than blows, backs and tails- no matter where you go.

Bottom line, you need to go where it fits your priority best. You claim you need the larger boat, the only company with the larger boats out of Hoonah is Allen Marine, the ship contractor. The problem with the ship contracts, are, they are the shortest tours. Key for whale watching, is longer always means more opportunity.

We booked the whale watch at Icy Strai Point thru the Celebrity Cruise site. We were guaranteed to see whales or they would refund everyone 100 dollars. The boat we went on held approximately 75 people and it was a Catamaran. It was quite rough the day we went and you could hardly feel it in the boat. There was an enclosed cabin with seating plus after they got out to the site they opened up the top of the boat for sighting and the front also. We went in September 2011 and saw approximately 20-30 whales. Fantastic

1384275967_Alaska2011_20110913_0908.jpg.fdb0ec041ea0d3d5b1dc359897e14ff6.jpg

...The problem with the ship contracts, are, they are the shortest tours. Key for whale watching, is longer always means more opportunity.
Longer may mean more opportunity - but it doesn't always translate into a better experience. We recently did a 4 hour whale watch with Glacier Wind Charters out of Hoonah but our experience was inferior to the 2.5 hour ship tour with Allen Marine. Our Captain declared that the whales had already left their feeding station at Point Adolphus, so he didn't go there at all. We stayed very close to Hoonah, in view of our HAL ship the entire time. We saw a grand total of 2 humpbacks, who only showed backs and fins occasionally. But our Captain seemed content and showed no interest in repositioning to find more whales. In contrast, the HAL shorex did go to Point Adolphus and were treated to bubble-net feeding by at least 12 humpbacks. And to think we cancelled the HAL shorex in favor of Glacier Wind! Lesson learned for next time.

Longer may mean more opportunity - but it doesn't always translate into a better experience. We recently did a 4 hour whale watch with Glacier Wind Charters out of Hoonah but our experience was inferior to the 2.5 hour ship tour with Allen Marine. Our Captain declared that the whales had already left their feeding station at Point Adolphus, so he didn't go there at all. We stayed very close to Hoonah, in view of our HAL ship the entire time. We saw a grand total of 2 humpbacks, who only showed backs and fins occasionally. But our Captain seemed content and showed no interest in repositioning to find more whales. In contrast, the HAL shorex did go to Point Adolphus and were treated to bubble-net feeding by at least 12 humpbacks. And to think we cancelled the HAL shorex in favor of Glacier Wind! Lesson learned for next time.

It isn't just a random "independent" I am referring to. There are only two companies out of Hoonah I would go with.

We booked the whale watch at Icy Strai Point thru the Celebrity Cruise site. We were guaranteed to see whales or they would refund everyone 100 dollars. The boat we went on held approximately 75 people and it was a Catamaran. It was quite rough the day we went and you could hardly feel it in the boat. There was an enclosed cabin with seating plus after they got out to the site they opened up the top of the boat for sighting and the front also. We went in September 2011 and saw approximately 20-30 whales. Fantastic

As I have mentioned, humpbacks are seen on 100% of the trips and the "guarantee" is pretty worthless. I have never heard of any payouts over at least 10+++ years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived