Balconies Safe for Young Children?

ToddlerMom

what cruise lines?

I bet its safe to say that most of the balconies regarding safety is across the board.

The doors that lead to the balcony are super heavy to open. watch little fingers. If the door to the cabin to the hall way is opened and you open the balcony it creates a wind tunnel.

Yes they lock-

Your toddler will not go anywhere when out on the balcony. You teach them when they are out there they sit on a chair-- and no climbing,

You will not be putting him out there by himself.

If your toddler climbs I would not be getting a balcony.

a balcony will be a nice place for you and your husband to escape to while he takes naps or goes in for bed a t night time

There's really no way a toddler could access the balcony without your help...and the cabins aren't so large that you won't be more than a step away from them at all times!!!

A balcony is a godsend when the child is napping or down for the night....you'll have someplace "to be" without sitting in a darkened cabin!!!!

Has your child ever snuck out of your home? They won't do it on a ship, either!

There's really no way a toddler could access the balcony without your help...and the cabins aren't so large that you won't be more than a step away from them at all times!!!

A balcony is a godsend when the child is napping or down for the night....you'll have someplace "to be" without sitting in a darkened cabin!!!!

Has your child ever snuck out of your home? They won't do it on a ship, either!

Ditto.

Plus the doors on the balcony are much heavier than any door in your house. If you're really concerned, you can buy a removable door alarm which will go off (if turned on...) everytime the door is opened.

Thanks for the replies. We're leaning towards NCL but also considering Carnival.

I would like to be able to sit on the balcony once DD is asleep at night and during naps. If it was just the two of us we would definitely get a balcony.

She's not much of a climber yet but she'll be 4 months older then so who knows what she'll be doing?

I have heard people say that the balcony sliding doors are heavy. That wasn't the case on our ship, the Celebrity Eclipse. They were easy to open. However, the sliding doors DID have a second lock way up high on top of the door that a child couldn't reach. Also, the balcony didn't have railings. It has glass which couldn't be climbed. The furniture could be climbed, however, and you have to keep it away from the edge.

You should do some research on the specific ships before you decide. The older ones have railings that could be climbed. For what it's worth, my DS climbs like a hyperactive monkey, but we had a balcony room, and everything was more than fine. However, he was 4 and understood rules and directions. The rule was, he was NEVER on the balcony alone for any reason, and there would be consequences if he even touched the door.

Don't forget the cabin door. That might be a greater danger, as there is no deadbolt on the inside for safety reasons. A kid could easily open it and walk out. Not trying to scare you, just hoping to help you cover the bases. I am sure everything will be fine. Just take precautions. Maybe bring some child safety equipment like a door alarm. By the way, if you search threads on this topic, you will find a woman who went on Carnival, and they put up some sort of net over the railings so her granddaughter (a toddler) couldn't climb. Good luck, and have fun.

We have been in balconies with our son (now almost 5) over the years and for me, not sure why anyone gets paranoid with balconies. Just like at home (whether it be the front door, back door, bathtub, or anything), we keep an eye out on our child at all times or at least I do as I cannot speak for my husband when I am not home :) !!!! Same difference on ship, or any vacation for that matter.

Yes, totally safe. The balconies have the handles (see picture) that you turn downward to unlock and then they have a child lock that you twist in a circle to unlock. That child lock keeps the door secure.

And of course, we always use the same rules. No child alone on the balcony without one of us. No standing on chairs. No messing around on the balcony. We move the chairs away from the edge. And if any child goes against any of the rules, they are removed from the balcony immediatly. ;)

This was from our NCL Gem balcony...

005.jpg

Just cruised with a 19 month old, a 3 year old and a 5 year old and they were fine. Door is very heavy. Every ship is different as to the balcony wall Ours was concrete about 3 feet then a 3/4 foot space amd then a wood railing Cabin door to the outside does open very easily though. We blocked that at night with coffee table.

They are very safe, made of 4 foot tall glass or plexiglass. The door leading out to the cabin is very heavy (even I have trouble opening it) and there is a higher up lock on it. We never let our kids out there unattended and we dont let them move the furniture. The only way I could see it being unsafe is if they pushed the chairs/table up against the rails and climbed up. Otherwise see my signature pic that is my DS 2 standing in front of the plexiglass.

• 1 month later...
We have always used a spring loaded shower curtain rod to secure our sliding patio door at home. Would this work for the balcony door as well?

there really is no reason to take that with you- like posted above -- the door is VERY heavy to open. (even more so if the cabin door is opened.)

and lock the top lock.

Ditto.

Plus the doors on the balcony are much heavier than any door in your house. If you're really concerned' date=' you can buy a removable door alarm which will go off (if turned on...) everytime the door is opened.[/quote']

We were thinking about bringing a door alarm for the cabin door for my grandson, but as far as I know, aren't they motion sensitive? Wouldn't the ships movement set them off?

My DH says that he would be too nervous with a balcony to even enjoy the cruise. I'm a little anxious about it myself.

Are they safe for a toddler? Is there a lock on the door to keep little ones from sneaking out by themselves?

With one toddler and two adults and no other preschool age children the benefit of a balcony far out weighs any risk.

Archived