Settling on Your onboard account with cash - how does it work?

I do not use regular credit cards anymore, so on last year's sailing I used my Visa debit card. Much to my surprise and anger, Guest Relations not only overcharged my account onboard (thank goodness for the tv on-screen

account info) even after departing the ship I found out that they doubled the entire bill (my account was about $450 at the end of the cruise but they charged the account over $900). When I got home and called my bank

to check my balance I was above and beyond angry. It seems that the onboard specialty restaurant charges were erraneously charged (as they had been prepaid) and my 70 cents a minute telephone charges (courtesy of my diamond status C&A booklet were charged at $7.50 minute) were taken off my bill onboard after I complained, were never taken off the

charges they billed my bank! Note to others using debit cards - Watch those charges and keep your receipts. We were charged for bottles of wine even though we had a wine package. Despite my complaining in the restaurants and then it being taken off my bill, the accounting office never reversed the charges with my bank.

Anyway. it took about 5 days to get all of these straightened out with RCCL and my bank.

This year I am paying cash. My question is: Do I have to put down a cash deposit when I get my Seapass card to cover any charges? Even if I have to I would rather not have to deal with that debit card disaster again.

FAQSee all results in FAQ s.gifs.gifHow do I pay for onboard purchases? - Royal Caribbean International If you have used traveler's checks or cash to activate the account, you will need to settle the account at the Guest Relations desk, (to either receive a reimbursement of the unused amount you originally left or to pay the balance of what you have charged over the amount of what you originally left). Please note: We require guests to place a deposit if they are paying for their SeaPass account with cash. There is a $500 daily limit on cash accounts for 7+ night sailings and $300 for 2/3/4/5 night sailings.

i have never left a deposit. Just put down i am paying cash on my set sail pass. I have never been asked for a deposit when checking in at pier.

I misread the OP. I thought they were asking what the deposit is required for a 5 night cruise.

No deposit required for onboard account that I know of

We paid cash for our FOS sailing 2 weeks ago and it worked out great. We did put down $500, but I don't think you HAVE to put anything down. I liked it way better than them putting charges on my debit card as we don't have regular credit cards.

That is something many people don't know about securing the account with a debit card - they will authorize each day's purchases as you go along and then at the end of the cruise actually put the charge through for the total amount so you will have double charges pending against your account for up to a week after you get off the ship due to this. For example, if your on board charges each day are $100, there would be 7 charges for $100 pending against your account, then on the last day they put the charge through for the full $700. Because the amounts are different the banks also don't know to release the preauthorizations and thus you are effectively double charges until the individual charges drop off.

I'm planning on doing cash this time too to settle to avoid this issue, even if I switch it to a CC at the end instead of cash.

Archived