Medical Evacutation from a Cruise

4x4bob

Before boarding for our next cruise I want to have a back-up plan in case of a Whoops.

I have looked at several Medical Evacuation plans and I am a little confused.

Would like some information from those who have purchased one of these. What are the pit falls and limits that I should look for?

Any recommended plans, and why?

Thanks

Bob

Hi There,

I think it was just last year that a Princess ship had to change coarse and head to a US aircraft carrier, to meet up with a helicopter, better medi

set up he was then flown to dry land.

So I would expect same if you were in the middle of no where, call in the navy

yours Shogun

What do they do when you are at sea for 5 or more days with nothing around?
They have to get close enough to land for another form of transport to take you. While the onboard medical centers can be very good, they really can only try and keep someone stabilized in serious cases. You do not want to be in need of emergency major surgery in the middle of the ocean because it it days away.

When there was an emergency coming back from Hawaii the ship turned around and was met by the U.S. Coast Guard helicopter to return the passenger to the mainland.

I would take Bobs suggestion!! I've visited the medical center twice on different ships and had wonderful treatment. I would never travel without travel insurance.

Carol

On two occasions we have been on cruises where the Captain "put the pedal to the metal" and we arrived a day early after many days at sea. Once was Hawaii, once was Australia. But that was less than 24 hours difference, not days.

I insist that my husband purchase evacuation level insurance even though he is reluctant to do so. Silly boy.

Typical cruise ship max range is around 650 miles per day, give or take depending on weather, wind and waves.

Typical medevac chopper can go max ~150 miles out, hover and return.

Distance from Portugal to Florida, about 4100 miles.

Distance from Hawaii to LA, about 2500 miles.

Distance from Hawaii to Australia, about 5000 miles

highheel girl: We did purchase the Platinum Vacation Protection. However, after reading plan and its level of coverage I did not have a warm fuzzy feeling.

Part B. Medical Protection, Emergency Evacuation, (3) in part--medically appropriate transportation and necessary medical care en route, to the the nearest suitable Hospital when you are critically ill or injured---

No mention about further transportation if you need to be transported by medical evacuation after you are stabilized to another facility for further treatment. Also, Princess travel insurance program ends when the cruise is over. No mention if they will continue to provide coverage if you are still in the "nearest suitable hospital" and you need more transportation.

This is why I am searching for another plan that will provide medical evacuation if needed.

Bob

highheel girl: We did purchase the Platinum Vacation Protection. However, after reading plan and its level of coverage I did not have a warm fuzzy feeling.

Part B. Medical Protection, Emergency Evacuation, (3) in part--medically appropriate transportation and necessary medical care en route, to the the nearest suitable Hospital when you are critically ill or injured---

No mention about further transportation if you need to be transported by medical evacuation after you are stabilized to another facility for further treatment. Also, Princess travel insurance program ends when the cruise is over. No mention if they will continue to provide coverage if you are still in the "nearest suitable hospital" and you need more transportation.

This is why I am searching for another plan that will provide medical evacuation if needed.

Bob

I believe PamCa may have alot of info on coverage when her BIL was fell ill while on a cruise a year or 2 ago. She may be able to answer many of your questions with her experience. :)

Several people here in CC have mentioned MedJet Assist insurance. I have not purchased this before myself.

I have purchased (in addition to cruise insurance) a separate medical and evacuation policy for the duration of our trip. I opted for a high level coverage of evacuation and medical.

However, now that I think of it, I don't know if it would include from a "local" on the cruise hospital to a "home" hospital. I will have to check on that. The policy was very reasonable for two people. The coverage started when you leave for your trip and ends when you return. The people at tripinsurancestore are very helpful.

I would rather be over insured than underinsured after hearing some of the stories on here:eek:

You do not want to be in need of emergency major surgery in the middle of the ocean because it it days away.

That's for sure BUT things do happen and not always at a convenient time that's why 4X4 Bob is asking. And that's also why there is a morgue on each ship.

We have friends that traveled on their own boat for a year and purchased insurance (yearly policy). They are on a trip now and I've meant to ask her what company it was.

Insurance is a must! Insure my trip lists several plans and describes each.

Some are more detailed then others and cover any eventuality, others are limited to medical or mediacal and/or evacutation only. Insurance is NOT money wasted if you ever need it - being human there is alway a chance it will be necessary!

Most travel medical plans provide for transport to the nearest hospital. To get from the nearest hospital back home, many people rely on Medjet Assist. Their only requirement is that you be a member, a certain distance from home and that you are hospitalized. Some medical plans provide for transport back home, but you must carefully read both the coverage and the dollar limit.

Bob

Bob, you have to dig a little further:

"Emergency Evacuation means . . . . . and/or (b) after being treated at a local hospital, Your medical condition warrants Transportation to your origination point to obtain further medical treatment or to recover."

Bob, you have to dig a little further:

"Emergency Evacuation means . . . . . and/or (b) after being treated at a local hospital, Your medical condition warrants Transportation to your origination point to obtain further medical treatment or to recover."

After reading your post I went back and read the Princess Vacation Protection Plan certificate one more time.

I could not find the above information. Can you direct me to the page that you found this information?

Thanks

Bob

After reading your post I went back and read the Princess Vacation Protection Plan certificate one more time.

I could not find the above information. Can you direct me to the page that you found this information?

Thanks

Bob

Here's a link to the full plan document:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/pdf/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

The easiest way to find it in the document would be to do a search for this phrase: " after being treated at a local hospital " It should come right up. Or find "Part B: Medical Protection" and read down toward the bottom of the page.

Cruiseco;

Thanks.

When I went to the Princess site I printed out a 12 page Princess vacation Protection document that was different from the one you provided a link to. It was multi-colored.

Wording on Medical evacuation was limited as compared to the document you provided.

Bob

Cruiseco;

Thanks.

When I went to the Princess site I printed out a 12 page Princess vacation Protection document that was different from the one you provided a link to. It was multi-colored.

Wording on Medical evacuation was limited as compared to the document you provided.

Bob

Strange that it would be different. I just followed the link to the pdf from this page:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/vacation_protection.jsp

Update: I think I found the document you were referring to. I don't know why there's two. But if you do a search of that document for " non emergency medical evacuation " you'll find the pertinent info.

Here's the doc I'm looking at that I believe is the one you found:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

I thought I would point out that NO medevac company has equipment to fly you off the ship. It's dangerous and requires highly-skilled pilots and expensive sea rescue choppers that medevac companies simply do not have.

If you are near a country with a fair-sized Navy or Coast Guard, they will usually evacuate you without advance payment. (Any payment?) If you aren't near one of those countries, you are stuck on the ship. No middle ground. And even if you are near one of those countries, you won't be flown off unless the situation is truly dire and the evac will do some good.

Archived