Feather hair extensions

Malibubaby

I see no one has answered.....I was just in Wal-mart, and they have snap-on feather hair extensions for $9.88....maybe you could get them, and do it yourself once you're on the ship! Anyway....I'd never seen them, read your question, and voila! There they were! Thought you'd want to know!

I see no one has answered.....I was just in Wal-mart, and they have snap-on feather hair extensions for $9.88....maybe you could get them, and do it yourself once you're on the ship! Anyway....I'd never seen them, read your question, and voila! There they were! Thought you'd want to know!

I would agree! they are less expensive and it works so much better when you can just clip them in!

I see them for sale at all of the beauty supply places as well. They just clip in, very easy to do.

ANyone else remember when we wore them back in the early 80's?

Yes with the "roach" clips =) I won so many of them at carnivals!

Yes I remember I had hair combs, with feathers attached - I had tototally forgotten all about that until I just read this post. As for the feathers extensions - most salons do them. They are actual hair extensions, not like the ones that clip in, that you buy from the beauty supply stores. I have had the same one in since the beginning of September and before that I had one in since early July. If you get it at the salon, they will stay in until someone takes them out. You can wash your hair everyday, use styling products, use hair dryers, curling irons, flat irons - you can do anything and they will last and stay in. Matter of fact, the one my stylist took out at my last appointment - she gave it back to me and said hold on to it, you may want to have it put back in - it still looks good. I have seen them advertised for $10 at the places like Great Clips - but I hear they only last a week or so. I get mine at my salon and they are $15 and last a really, really long time - I'm not going to say forever, but they will last close to it. So, I say take your daughter a day or two before your cruise to get a feather extension, maybe even a mani/pedi at the same time - she'll love it!

My two young granddaughters, and most of their friends, are really into these. They were getting them put in at a salon for $10 each, but, being kids, often had issues with them coming out. after a week or two.

My DIL found a kit online (sorry, don't know the website) that has a variety of feathers and a tool that attaches them to the hair that is DIY. This has been working perfectly for them and much cheaper, especially since the salon is about 20 miles away. They stay in just as long if not longer than the salon feathers.

I think it's a cute trend. The clip-on feathers I've seen in stores look like they'd work too, and then you can take them in and out at will.

http://megsmakeup.com/2011/08/03/rooster-feathers-hair-fad-we-only-fake-ones-real-ones-are-cruel

"Roosters are harvested for their feathers and most of them die. Roosters live about a year while their saddle feathers – the ones on the bird’s backside and the most popular for hair extensions – grow as long as possible. Then the animal is euthanized. (I did not like this information.) Heather told me it is a painful process to extract the feathers from the rooster and usually the roosters are euthanized when they have enough feathers and then the feathers are extracted."

http://megsmakeup.com/2011/08/03/rooster-feathers-hair-fad-we-only-fake-ones-real-ones-are-cruel

"Roosters are harvested for their feathers and most of them die. Roosters live about a year while their saddle feathers – the ones on the bird’s backside and the most popular for hair extensions – grow as long as possible. Then the animal is euthanized. (I did not like this information.) Heather told me it is a painful process to extract the feathers from the rooster and usually the roosters are euthanized when they have enough feathers and then the feathers are extracted."

Oh my goodness, I would dearly love to see some actual facts to support this stance. I can't find any. Heck, I can't even find the article that allegedly appeared in the Seattle times. Feathers have been harvested LONG before hair extensions became a fad. Stop by your local fly fishing shop if you really want some ear bending.

I have some bead clip-in extensions and I love the looks of the feathers so I may pick up some from WalMart just for fun. Have fun on your cruise Malibubaby!

Oh my goodness, I would dearly love to see some actual facts to support this stance. I can't find any. Heck, I can't even find the article that allegedly appeared in the Seattle times. Feathers have been harvested LONG before hair extensions became a fad. Stop by your local fly fishing shop if you really want some ear bending.

I have some bead clip-in extensions and I love the looks of the feathers so I may pick up some from WalMart just for fun. Have fun on your cruise Malibubaby!

Check this article about feather sources for lures and fashion:

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/06/20/feather-hair-extensions-fashion-without-compassion/42888/

Just wondering. When folks use feathers as fashion, just where do they think these feathers come from and how do they think the feathers are harvested?

Check this article about feather sources for lures and fashion:

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/06/20/feather-hair-extensions-fashion-without-compassion/42888/

Just wondering. When folks use feathers as fashion, just where do they think these feathers come from and how do they think the feathers are harvested?

I am quite certain they come from birds and are harvested much like leather for wallets, belts, shoes, etc. I harbor no delusions. I simply asked for proof of the extreme claims that are now being made about these feathers. Where was the outrage all those years when fly fishermen were using the feathers. *sigh* I just get a little tired of general public swallowing whatever is fed to them by such places as the one posted here... without ever raising their own questions or putting in the time it takes to learn the actual truth.

http://blog.timesunion.com/animalrights/feather-hair-extensions-more-cruelty-for-the-sake-of-fashion/3549/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/sports/when-fashion-meets-fishing-the-feathers-fly.html

There are more. And yes I know where feathers come from. I assumed wrongfully that when the animal went for slaughter for food they then took the feathers. I did not know they killed the animal for feathers but not for food.

http://blog.timesunion.com/animalrights/feather-hair-extensions-more-cruelty-for-the-sake-of-fashion/3549/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/sports/when-fashion-meets-fishing-the-feathers-fly.html

There are more. And yes I know where feathers come from. I assumed wrongfully that when the animal went for slaughter for food they then took the feathers. I did not know they killed the animal for feathers but not for food.

The NYTimes article was interesting but I didn't bother with the blog. No offense, but blogs are opinion based and I just wasn't interested. You are absolutely welcome to your opinion. Animals raised for a special purpose, be it food, science, etc., is nothing new. We differ as to whether it's right or wrong when they're raised for fashion. I have friends who would complain if the animal was used for life-saving medical research... but not me, and yet we remain friends. I respect your opinion.

Vicki

Archived