Would you report a stomach ailment while on cruise?

BearClaw28

Two Sundays ago I boarded the Epic and felt fine when I signed the health form upon boarding. On Monday I started feeling a little sick to my stomach and for the next 3 days I suffered very mild nausea, severe gas and diahhrea. Now I noticed on the front of one of the Dailies that if you have any stomach ailments they ask that you report it to the ship doctor and quarantine yourself to you cabin.

My question is who would voluntarily report a stomach ailment and quarantine yourself?

Now although I was pretty uncomfortable at times, I wasn't running to the bathroom and I did go to bed early a few nights because I wasn't feeling well. I was diligent with washing my hands as always and using the sanitizer whenever I passed one but there was no chance that I would report my condition to the cruise ship and be quarantined on my vacation.

Two Sundays ago I boarded the Epic and felt fine when I signed the health form upon boarding. On Monday I started feeling a little sick to my stomach and for the next 3 days I suffered very mild nausea, severe gas and diahhrea. Now I noticed on the front of one of the Dailies that if you have any stomach ailments they ask that you report it to the ship doctor and quarantine yourself to you cabin.

My question is who would voluntarily report a stomach ailment and quarantine yourself?

Now although I was pretty uncomfortable at times, I wasn't running to the bathroom and I did go to bed early a few nights because I wasn't feeling well. I was diligent with washing my hands as always and using the sanitizer whenever I passed one but there was no chance that I would report my condition to the cruise ship and be quarantined on my vacation.

I will be very honest, if I had what you had , no I wouldn't report it. BUT if it was worse I would.

Be careful, these things could spread to other people and could make other people stick...While no one wants to be quarantine and locked in there cabin, sometimes thats the only thing that can be done

For you next cruise, pack some pepto bismol and other medicines to have at hand.

Be careful, these things could spread to other people and could make other people stick...While no one wants to be quarantine and locked in there cabin, sometimes thats the only thing that can be done

For you next cruise, pack some pepto bismol and other medicines to have at hand.

I always travel with Immodium AD, along with other meds, and it was definitely needed this trip.

I was as careful as I could be and my brother who traveled with me never got sick. The only way I would have reported it is if I was so bad I wasn't able to leave my cabin anyway.

I've had two mild episodes on cruises. The first time I reported it and paid something like $165 to the doctor to be told it was not Norovirus, only to feel much better within a few hours. The second time I did not report it, again felt better pretty quickly. Both times, however, I did quarantine myself for 24 hours.

Like another poster says with those symptoms no. I honestly think unless I needed IV fluids I would not report it and just stay int he cabin. I have had Norovirus and not from a cruise ship and I was in the er for 6 hours dehydrated. But they gave me some great anti nausua I carry.

That would certainly depend on what the issue was. Everyone that is an adult has probably at one point or time experience flu symtoms. So you really have to know your own body.

I get those same type symptoms if I eat food that is too high in fat, spice or sometimes with meat that is not thoroughly cooked. I know how it feels and although I would not go to the ships doctor, I would basically be quarantined because I just rest for a couple of hours and it goes away.

If I had regular flu symptoms again, I would just go to bed so again I would be self-quarantined.

I'm at an old enough age that I know, how to feel better with the flu, without having to see a doctor. I know how to keep from spreading germs to those that are near me like my DH. And also care enough about those I'm travelling with not to want them to get whatever I happened to have.

If I got worse or could not get better doing what I knew makes me normally better then I would seek out medical advice the same as I would do at home.

We live in a cold climate and therefore live in closed up houses in the winter (same scenerio as a contained ship). You learn very quickly how to contain your illnesses. I wouldn't want to pass things to my fellow passengers or ship crew, as I surely wouldn't want to at home to the ones I love. I'd use plain old common sense.

That is a very good question.

Nobody knows my body as well as I do. I've dealt with a lot of gastrointestinal issues all my life, so I know what's normal for me and what's not normal. I would know very quickly whether it's something I could handle myself, or if it requires a doctors advice.

That being said - it would take a lot to report myself. I would have to feel really really REALLY lousy before I make that call.

And I'm smart enough to stay in bed if I feel ill.

If I felt like I was coming down with flu, yes I would. I'd be stuck in bed if they quaranteed me or not if that is what I had. If I felt it was slight case of sea sickness or something I ate, no I wouldn't. I would take bonine or immodium AD based on symptoms (both of which I take on a cruise) and hope to feel better in a few hours. If I don't feel better, then maybe. Depends on the symptoms. If I really didn't feel good, I'd be keeping myself in bed anyways.

I had a good friend who failed to pack her OTC stomach meds herself and went to the ship's doctor asking for Immodium or something similar. She found herself involuntarily confined in the ship's hospital for 3 days. (CCL not NCL) The experience totally ruined their trip.

Note to everyone: Take your own meds and use common sense!

Having had norovirus twice, I know the symptoms and what it feels like. Believe me, if it strikes, there will be no doubt in your mind. It is not a gradual thing. It hits immediately and once it starts you will not want to leave your cabin (or be more than 10 feet away from a bathroom) for at least 24 hours.

That being the case, I would not report to the infirmary, but would have my DH bring me plenty of liquids.

After the first 24 hours, I may venture out of the cabin for fresh air, consuming very little, not touching anything, and constantly using hand sanitizer.

If you experience anything other than I have described above, you probably do not have norovirus.

Wouldn't your cabin attendant report it themselves if they found a passenger in bed for several days.

Perhaps but not necessarily, you could be in bed for many reasons. Sea sickness for one, hangover for another. A lot of people do not know they get sea sick until they are actually onboard.

Perhaps but not necessarily, you could be in bed for many reasons. Sea sickness for one, hangover for another. A lot of people do not know they get sea sick until they are actually onboard.

True, although if I was trying to clean the cabin and someone was sick in bed I would probably ask what was going on.

True, although if I was trying to clean the cabin and someone was sick in bed I would probably ask what was going on.

LOL me too. But they've probably been trained to 'not be intrusive' to the passengers Which would most likely come out like, Oh I hope miss so and so or sir so and so are not too sick, or are feeling better soon, or would you like me to contact the ship's doctor.

It's sad that NCL has to put such strict policies in place and that people who are sick do not use common sense to quarantine themselves. Leaving the person with something simple like food borne issues or pre-existing intestinal issues, to possibly try and hide not feeling well from the ship crew to avoid a misdiagnosis of a possible infectious condition and forced to be quarantined.

Like rajones or myself who have issues, they could easily be misdiagnosed by an overly cautious doctor trying to save a ship outbreak.

I understand why NCL feels they have to do this, but still think it's sad that they do.

Add me to the list of those who know their bodies. Certain restaurants will have me running; those we know now to avoid. I also try to not have salads on cruises, just in case. No, I would not go to the doctor.

Good idea about Immodium AD. I'll bring that along. I always travel with a Z-pack and prescription cough medicine. I have learned the hard way that if someone comes on with "something," and it goes through the a/c system, my poor asthmatic lungs will suffer. I've spent too much time on ships being hooked up to a breathing machine. Now I know when to start the proper cough medicine (not over the counter) and when to take the Z-pack.

Bottom line, you have to know your body.

Just off the Jewel last Saturday and 1 person in our party got sick after the pub crawl and had a small case of diarrhea. Went to the infirmy for some pepto and got banned from leaving the ship to go to GSC the next day. That's the main reason she came on the cruise with us. She was fine that morning but no dice. She was understanding and said the dr was nice about it but the other people in the infirmy she had to deal with were extremely rude snd she will never board a ncl ship again.

Bottom line: take pepto with you because if you ask them for it you are confined. You will not find it in the gift shop either.

Just an fyi

From what you are describing it sounds like food poisoning and not Noro.

It could of been something you ate before you boarded. It can take 24-36 hours before feeling bad. As your brother was not ill also makes me suspect food related illness.

Nora

Last year on the Epic DH suffered from some gastrointestinal issues a few days into the cruise. He was eating and drinking the same things I, and our friends were. He does have a sometimes sensitive stomach, and the OTC medicine we had didn't seem to be helping.

We went back and forth whether or not to go to the doctor (I said go, he said no, natch) but we went. After ruling out the norovirus the doctor began to prescribe the same medication we had OTC, so we declined it, and were sent to our room quarantined - DH only. I could come and go as I wanted, but they did tell us, nicely, that we may be "surveilled" and he should NOT try to sneak out and about, and they would be calling our cabin periodically to check on him. They said to expect the quarantine to last at least 24 hours.

DH and I followed orders, and whatever upset his stomach did clear up in the next 12 hours, and he was freed from quarantine the next day (just shy of 24 hours) after the doctor spoke to him to confirm his symptoms were gone.

We were quite pleased at how the whole situation was handled, and I was glad for peace of mind. Also, the doctor fee was waived :D The medical staff was professional and friendly. On the other hand, our friends thought us crazy to visit the doctor in the first place. :rolleyes:

From what you are describing it sounds like food poisoning and not Noro.

It could of been something you ate before you boarded. It can take 24-36 hours before feeling bad. As your brother was not ill also makes me suspect food related illness.

Nora

A lot of times people jump to conclusions that it is food poisoning but sometimes it is just a simple case of something not agreeing with someone or basically a case of change of venue, excitement, etc. It's funny how when someone tells me they got food poisoning we ate the same thing and I might be fine. It's very rare for instance that one piece of fish would make someone sick whilest someone else not, with the fish almost certainly coming from the same purveyor/delivery. Food poisoning most likely comes from either cross-contamination or exposure, so it would be rare one piece of fish (same kind) is fine and another tainted. But people are quick to blame the chef!

A lot of times people jump to conclusions that it is food poisoning but sometimes it is just a simple case of something not agreeing with someone or basically a case of change of venue, excitement, etc. It's funny how when someone tells me they got food poisoning we ate the same thing and I might be fine. It's very rare for instance that one piece of fish would make someone sick whilest someone else not, with the fish almost certainly coming from the same purveyor/delivery. Food poisoning most likely comes from either cross-contamination or exposure, so it would be rare one piece of fish (same kind) is fine and another tainted. But people are quick to blame the chef!

I've had food poisoning and I, in no way would have considered it light flu symptoms, my daughter and I were terribly sick. Not on a ship BTW, it was a land restaurant.

I did not "blame" the Chef. The OP got on board on Sunday and started feeling ill on Monday. That is why I suggested perhaps it may have been caused by something the OP may have eaten prior to boarding.

Noro is very contagious and spreads quickly. The other reason I said if OP's brother was not ill that was also my thinking that it was not Noro.

So I did not "jump to conclusions" I am also an RN and worked in the ER and this is what the ER doctor's have told many patients.

Archived