What are the benefits of booking a year or more in advance?

sazzinfredericton

Main benefit is getting the stateroom we want.

Whether deposits are fully refundable depends, in part, on where you are. Rules in the UK are different in the US. Rules in Canada may also be different, so be sure to watch for the location of the poster when you see answers to this question.

Pondering this question myself. So far all I know as an advantage is, you can choose a specific cabin.

So far as a disadvantage, cruise can get cancelled as I have just experienced. However still booked another cruise quickly, because needed to book overseas flights (made major saving booking that so well in advance!) and like to know things are in place, i.e. booked flights Amsterdam to Rome and hotel in Rome (also a major saving) already.

But there is still that niggling bit in my mind should I have waited to book the cruise till after final payment date.

And ofcourse I am hoping like crazy for a price drop, as this cruise (altough shorter then the cancelled cruise) cost a lot more.

Other than a particular cruise itinerary and cabin guarantee? Is one just gambling that it is a good deal sooner than later? Is the deposit totally refundable so many days prior to full payment?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

We typically book well in advance, often a year or more. We like to have the choice of picking the stateroom we want and of knowing we'll have the dining time or method we prefer. Additionally, my wife works in a hospital, and even though she has high seniority, she has to put her request for vacation time in many months early if it's for a two to three week vacation. Plus, we now know what our long term vacation plans are and can begin to save and budget accordingly, and can plan shorter vacations around that major vacation. Since we live on the west coast of the US, we always have to book long flights to either the east coast, or overseas to get to our ship. Planning far in advance usually results in cheaper airfare and the assurance that we'll have seats for flights that work best for us. Same goes for hotels in pre and post cruise cities.

We sometimes pay a lower deposit for booking early, often half the standard deposit. This is what we were able to for our next cruise. We also check on the prices several times per week. If they go down, we request and always receive the lower fare if it's prior to final payment. If the fares go up, as they have on our upcoming cruise, we feel pretty good about having gotten that cheaper rate by booking early.

Just as important, we have a year of anticipation as the excitement of our cruise slowly builds as the date of our departure gets closer and closer.

As to refunds, if you cancel prior to final payment, all deposit funds are typically refunded back to you.

Not everyone has the flexibility or finances to wait until "the deal" happens. Of course if your retired you can play the last minute cruise deals.

When we find a cruise we like and its in our price range, we book it, usually a year in advance. Many drop substantially over the course of a year, and we follow the costs regularly and get our price adjusted, sometimes 2-3 times.

So, financially its usually a bust, however, having one on the burner gives you something to look forward to for your eagerness and if you need the time to save up, its a real good way to make sure you put the $$$ away.

We booked out SA B2B Infinity cruise almost 2 years out. We had the pick of cabins etc at that time. The 2nd leg, Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale is sold out except for OV and inside cabins which are available at a higher cost than when they first rolled out the itinerary. The first leg is higher as well. We have never had cabins reduced lower than we originally paid for them - I know it's probably because we select popular itineraries and in the higher season. We will not be doing anymore Caribbean itineraries until we see the world:D and we always have to take into consideration airfares and hotels. So for now we plan ahead, book on board if possible and hope for the best.

We book better than 6 mos in advance and receive the cabin of our choice. It has proven to be a lower price than closer to sail date. I check often re pricing on our selected cabin. Advantage has been better pricing and better cabin location. Today I checked again, 2 weeks prior, and price is as low as it could possibly be. So, it seems book early and get a lower price and your choice of cabin, or late and take a chance cruise isn't sold out, get best pricing, and cabin may or may not be in a desirable location. It's a crap shoot for sure! Whatever it may be, I could enjoy a cruise in any location!

WThe 2nd leg, Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale is sold out except for OV and inside cabins which are available at a higher cost than when they first rolled out the itinerary.

We did this cruise in March 2009 and visited the same ports except Colon - we did Montego Bay, Jamaica instead. You'll have a fantastic time. Some great, rarely visited ports, and the highlight, the amazing Panama Canal. Your mentioning it has brought back many wonderful memories. Thanks!

Not everyone has the flexibility or finances to wait until "the deal" happens. Of course if your retired you can play the last minute cruise deals.

I am retired and the reason that I wait until the last minute is that I may not be here next year. :eek: :(. :D.

Thank you all!

I have two cruises booked for 2012 and now just itching to book one either late 2012 or 2013. Rather addicting at this point.

Regarding price drop....what is a reasonable timeline for price drops prior to a sail date? I have a cruise May 2012 should I be checking price daily?

Also does one look at the price drop of the cabin booked and as long as it is 75 days prior to final payment an adjustment can be made, is that correct?

We did this cruise three years ago and visited the same ports except Colon - Montego Bay, Jamaica Bay instead. You'll have a fantastic time. Some great, rarely visited ports, and the highlight, the amazing Panama Canal. Your mentioning it has brought back many wonderful memories. Thanks!

Yes this is one I have been looking at. Which month would you recommend? Either Jan/Feb or late October/November.

TIA

Nancy

Main benefit is getting the stateroom we want.

Whether deposits are fully refundable depends, in part, on where you are. Rules in the UK are different in the US. Rules in Canada may also be different, so be sure to watch for the location of the poster when you see answers to this question.

USA/Canada have the same rules so far:)

Yes this is one I have been looking at. Which month would you recommend? Either Jan/Feb or late October/November.

TIA

Nancy

Nancy, this is considered a repositioning cruise. It is done only once per year to move the ship from the South American/Cape Horn region to Ft. Lauderdale so it can cruise the Panama Canal circuit for several months. It is always done in March. There is also a comparable repositioning cruise in December that moves to the South American region, visiting the same ports in a reverse order.

Nancy, this is considered a repositioning cruise. It is done only once per year to move the ship from the South American/Cape Horn region to Ft. Lauderdale so it can cruise the Panama Canal circuit for several months. It is always done in March. There is also a comparable repositioning cruise in December that moves to the South American region, visiting the same ports in a reverse order.

Oh....looking at the X site .... available cruises Mar/Apr/May 2012 and then Sept-Dec and Jan 2013. Definitely interested in the Westbound Ft. Lauderdale ending in San Diego....which season would be best...

New to cruising site so I may be totally confused here...:)

Maybe a year is too long, but we booked nearly that long ago and the same room we got has gone up around $400 since then so we still get the lower price. I'm not sure if it will go on sale at some point, but I'm feeling pretty good about it today.

Tom

Other than a particular cruise itinerary and cabin guarantee? Is one just gambling that it is a good deal sooner than later? Is the deposit totally refundable so many days prior to full payment?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

We often book well over a year in advance. We book through a Travel Agent which, like booking direct with Celebrity, in the USA has no cancellation fees or penalties if you cancel before the final payment date which is 75 days for most non-holiday cruises.

By booking early we can more or less have our pick of staterooms and when traveling with friends we can get stateroom next to each other in a good location.

It is not unusual to obtain a small price decrease along the way but on the cruises we've picked it has been unusual to see a lower price offered after final payment. I think we tend to sail at popular times of the year as more often than not we've seen prices increase as the cruise gets close - especially after final payment.

Waiting for specials and deep discounts after final payment date might work for some cruisers who are in a situation where they do not need to worry about last minute airfares and have flexibility as to which cruises they take and when they take them. But if you have your heart set on booking a specific cruise at a popular time of year you might find waiting until the last minute doesn't work out well for you.

...Regarding price drop....what is a reasonable timeline for price drops prior to a sail date? I have a cruise May 2012 should I be checking price daily?

Also does one look at the price drop of the cabin booked and as long as it is 75 days prior to final payment an adjustment can be made, is that correct?

There is no hard and fast rule. It is all about where supply and demand sit based on some booking patterns the cruise line sets these things on. But we seldom see much in the way of price changes until a cruise gets within about 9 months.

Some price changes are made and stick forever. Some go into place and go back up a few days later so you never know when, or how often, you should be checking prices.

And yes you can get a price adjustment in the USA anytime prior to final payment as long as the price doesn't relate to a short "new bookings only" special. Also - there are some TA's who charge a fee for any change made to a reservation. Ours, and many others, do not but some do. Be sure to ask about this before booking.

Oh....looking at the X site .... available cruises Mar/Apr/May 2012 and then Sept-Dec and Jan 2013. Definitely interested in the Westbound Ft. Lauderdale ending in San Diego....which season would be best...

New to cruising site so I may be totally confused here...:)

Just to clarify, we are talking two different cruise routes. The one you are considering is the Ft. Lauderdale, Panama Canal, San Diego route. These are usually done in the spring to early summer before the ships go to the Alaska region for the summer, and again in the fall as the ships leave Alaska.

The one I was referring to has the ship move to an from Ft. Lauderdale and South America for the cruise season there, passing through the Panama Canal to get there.

I can't advise on the best season for the cruises you are interested in since I have no experience with that specific route. Perhaps someone reading this can be of assistance.

I will, without hesitation, book future cruises when the urge strikes even if it is 12 mos or so away.

You have reassured and reaffirmed what I had already concluded.

Thanks again.

and book on board if possible, next best are the passages. ~ Ric

If you book directly through Celebrity your deposit is totally refundable until the final payment date.

Certain travel agencies charge for cancelling or changing a booking.

Many on-line agencies, unlike most Canadian travel agencies will reward you with an onboard credit (OBC) for transferring a booking from Celebrity to the agency.

The advantage of booking long in advance is getting the "perfect" cabin. There are some very desirable cabins on some ships that are in high demand and in many cases are taken by certain travel agencies that seem impossible to book without long term planning.

Some air gateways require early bookings to ensure a flight at a reasonable price.

If transportation is flexible, if specific cabins and destinations are not essential, the best deals can be obtained by purchasing a "Passages" on board and waiting for a great deal. During the course of the year, many agencies have great sales and pricing that are particularly attractive and the "Passages" sweeten the deal.

If you happen to be on board when a sale comes up you are doubly lucky because you can also take advantage of a two or three category upgrade plus an OBC. Getting a C1 at a C3 sale price can feel like winning a lottery.

Because we have the luxury of being retired, we can cruise when we want without having to arrange for vacation time. We can fly from Detroit or Toronto and actually enjoy driving to ports 1,500 miles away. We now play the waiting game using passages to take advantage of specials offered by a large online agency and Tuesday Exciting deals.

Thanks for the helpful info. My first cruise with Celebrity is in January and as I have an idea which cruise I would like to take after my East. Med. in May, I will definitely check out what "passages" are and what perks I may be able to get for the next booking on board.

Where on Celebrity would I access this info?

I am also very interested in B2B cruises.....now added to my bucket list but that is taking too much time and planning at this point for a newbie.

Thanks

Nancy

Nancy

I see that, like us, you are in Canada. If you book 'passages' while on board, may I suggest you buy in US dollars. We bought in Canadian on a cruise last year, and the major online TA who was offering a terrific deal wouldn't accept them. Even without using the passages certificates we still had a better deal than Celebrity was offering, but if we had $US we could have double dipped for on board credit. Now I read that they are not accepted for Tuesday Specials, so I'm not sure when we will use them.

We typically enjoy two kinds of cruise, and book differently for each. We have destinations that are on our 'bucket list' and plan ahead for these because of the flights involved. Now we are retired, we do some impulse cruises - usually last minute specials in the winter - when we see something that appeals to us. We have no problem driving to the port since we always give ourselves extra time and make the trip part of our holiday. I must admit that driving to Florida is more fun that driving back!

Sheila

Archived