Important to know

Newleno

70 cruises? Where do you work? How old are you? I'm jealous. We haven't got 7 under our belt.:(

Retired 18 years ago at a tender age. Work is a four letter word !!:D

Will be 74 in a few days and love cruising. I guess I screwed up the job so bad they pay me well to stay away.:p:p

Will be 74 in a few days and love cruising. I guess I screwed up the job so bad they pay me well to stay away.:p:p

The heck with retirement....I think you should apply to be the next NCL mascot! :eek:

:p :p

mascot.jpg.d6fa7fb9e4707fdfdb345bbe188a8b69.jpg

I retired July 2010 at the age of 62 and took our first cruise days later. It was great. I love being retired and we take three cruises or overseas trips a year.

Still, I find something missing from my life. In October 2010, I went back to work at my old job part-time, filling in for a deployed employee, but that ended this May.

I read about 2-3 books a week, ride 120 miles a week on my bike and travel, yet something is missing. I haven't figured out what I need to do with myself completely. It is hard to go from being responsible for something most of my life to not.

I retired July 2010 at the age of 62 and took our first cruise days later. It was great. I love being retired and we take three cruises or overseas trips a year.

Still, I find something missing from my life. In October 2010, I went back to work at my old job part-time, filling in for a deployed employee, but that ended this May.

I read about 2-3 books a week, ride 120 miles a week on my bike and travel, yet something is missing. I haven't figured out what I need to do with myself completely. It is hard to go from being responsible for something most of my life to not.

It takes time (several months) to realize you are free to do what you choose, and I have chosen plenty of things to fill my days. My work began when I was in the fourth grade and I wasn't without a job until I turned 56. I understand your dilemma, but give yourself time and you will find the things to do that you enjoy. You will then wonder how you found time to work !!!:D

I once heard a comment that stuck with me. " If you are doing something you like, you will never work a day in your life".

SO TRUE !!! I liked my job, but I like retirement much better.

I know what you mean...

You just need to find your special purpose*

jerk.jpg

*Those of you who get the reference are really going to laugh.

Sounds like you're having an awesome retirement! Good for you. You earned it. :)

My husband, who is 80, retired early at age 62 because the time spent working was starting to interfere with 'play' time -- time for working on his dozens of projects.

It's only been the past 2 years that he's slowed down, because of mobility problems requiring the use of a cane. But even though he's sold a lot of his project materials on eBay he still works on several of his other projects.

(He fixes and re-sells equipment he's bought at salvage or auctions.)

On our cruises now we don't do as much walking, so we take more tours, either ship-sponsored or private tours.

Have you thought about looking into volunteering for some organization?

That is a feeling of satisfaction.

Marry a cruise line? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' date=' if this is done on a ship, by the captain means we have to be in International Waters. Sounds good to me! I live in Utah, that means I can have two husbands, yes?!!!;);:D[/quote']

Wendy !!! That old guy who hangs around with you might have something to say about that !!! How have you been ?? Bill

I have been giving spinner rings to the kids on the Star, so they all say I am married to them, and Myrna is OK with that !! :D

Wendy !!! That old guy who hangs around with you might have something to say about that !!! How have you been ?? Bill

I have been giving spinner rings to the kids on the Star, so they all say I am married to them, and Myrna is OK with that !! :D

ok Swdish, I knew we had something in common other than our loyalty to NCL: we are the same age: the difference: your company paid you well to just get out: mine said leave or else and don't expect us to give you much: that is why I am still working part time. LOL

Nita

ok Swdish, I knew we had something in common other than our loyalty to NCL: we are the same age: the difference: your company paid you well to just get out: mine said leave or else and don't expect us to give you much: that is why I am still working part time. LOL

Nita

Nita -- You are a rarity !!! First woman in history to admit you are over 40 !!!!:D

You need to mess up your part time job, and maybe THEY will pay you to leave !!!!:p

Hi, Bill; doing great, thanks. And you and Myrna?

Tell you what, I won't tell Mike if you don't!!!!!!!

;)

Nita -- You are a rarity !!! First woman in history to admit you are over 40 !!!!:D

You need to mess up your part time job, and maybe THEY will pay you to leave !!!!:p

swedish weave(Bill) Nita isn't the only women to admit being over forty. Didn't I tell you that I'm 41!;) Love your suggestion to Nita!

planma'am(Wendy) Remember Bill & Ruth? Well, I can verify Bill & Myrna are looking fine and their Birthdays are not even showing on them. After 5 cruises with them, they haven't aged a bit. (Of course, that's only been a year and a half):rolleyes: We were just with them on the NCL Star 10/16/11 cruise to the Western Caribbean out of Tampa. We all need to have a reunion cruise sometime in the not too distant future. Tell your Sisters Hi & Mike & cousin Janice(?) to.

Ruth

Marry a cruise line? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' date=' if this is done on a ship, by the captain means we have to be in International Waters. Sounds good to me! I live in Utah, that means I can have two husbands, yes?!!!;);:D[/quote']

No, it means you can have two cruiselines!:rolleyes:

There wasn't a cruise I didn't like! :)

I personally cruised NCL and Royal Caribbean, and did same destinations on each. I like both. A lot depends on cabin, itinerary and cost when picking. But if cost were no option and to same destination, I'd pick NCL :)

Hi' date=' Bill; doing great, thanks. And you and Myrna?

Tell you what, I won't tell Mike if you don't!!!!!!!

;)[/quote']

Wendy --I am doing great !!!

Myrna is freezing and is about ten miles from you helping take care of granddaughters kids while she is about to have a third one.

I promise I won't tell !!! ;)

Ruth -- If you don't quit lying, all your kids will be born naked !!!:D

no, I tried that: I told my boss I was going to quit this past Jan, he paid my insurance just to get me to stay: then I said ok, but only til the end of 2011, but now he has convinced me I need to stay, at least through 2012. It is nice to be wanted, but I am not sure why?

NIta LOL

I wouldn't marry any cruise line who would marry a guy like me. :)

Because it is human nature to defend what you believe in, whether it is family, travel, our country, a movie, a restaurant whatever. You are right, everyone's needs and pleasures are different but to post a statement like the OP did is useless and is bound to stir up a hornets nest. He/she knew this when they posted.

Nita

I think there is a difference between not sharing the same opinon than someone else, discussing those differences, and enjoying the perspective that each party brings to the table vs. just becoming defensive about the situation. A number of the posts that are critical of the OP's inital statements fall into the later category. To me its far more enjoyable to talk/debate issues with people who share different opinions than to just sit around and nod in agreement with people who share my perspective.

It is interesting to see how people react when someone does not like "their" cruise line as much as they do; it is often taken as a personal insult. I don't get the hostility and tension that are created--its just an opinion about a cruise line. For those who love NCL, does it really matter what anyone else thinks? For those who don't like NCL--no worries, there are other cruiselines that may better match your needs. There was a fellow who used to post here, who often ended his contribuitons by saying, "Isn't it great we have so many choices"? He was spot on.

I have never sailed NCL, and will do so the first time this December. I have pretty much sailed Princess exclusively. I thought Princess was very nice, and it was a consistant product--when I went back, I knew what I was getting. Is it a great line? I don't know--I don't really have anything to compare it to. I think if nothing else, by sailing NCL, I will gain a broader perspective on cruising. I think the OP's basic point is correct---you may think you love Line A, but unitl you sail other lines, how do you really know? With regard to his/her comment that it is "dangerous" to marry a cruiseline, I think we all have chosen words that may not truly reflect the intent behind what we are trying to convey. I am pretty certain that "dangerous" means---if you are able, consider other options before deciding to exclusively cruise only one line. Give yourself a chance to compare and then decide.

Archived