Important to know

Newleno

I will be cruising NCL for the first time later this month. I am looking forward to comparing with my previous cruises. (CCL-11, RC-6, Princess-2 and HAL-1)

I am totally driven by cost as I live close to 5 ports and can wait for the best deal. (Except for the Miracle on 1/29/12 as I am cruising with prior cruise friends from a roll call for the 4th time. This was an expensive itinerary.)

The only reason I am on the Sun is because they are not charging a single supplement (nothing, nada, nunca, nadia). I am getting my own Ocean View for a week for $63 a day.

My first cruise was with CCL so I stuck with them, bought stock, etc..

I am going in with an open mind, plan on trying 3 specialty restaurants, attending the shows, going to trivia, and most of all...HAVING A GREAT TIME!

WHY do people take these things so seriously? Almost personally...If you love NCL, that's wonderful...enjoy. If you don't and wish to tell others, fine, speak your mind, find another cruiseline and move on. Everyone's needs are different, just like everyone's opinions will also differ.

Because it is human nature to defend what you believe in, whether it is family, travel, our country, a movie, a restaurant whatever. You are right, everyone's needs and pleasures are different but to post a statement like the OP did is useless and is bound to stir up a hornets nest. He/she knew this when they posted.

Nita

PictureChris,

It isn't fair you live so close to all those ports and we are hours away. LOL

Because it is human nature to defend what you believe in, whether it is family, travel, our country, a movie, a restaurant whatever. You are right, everyone's needs and pleasures are different but to post a statement like the OP did is useless and is bound to stir up a hornets nest. He/she knew this when they posted.

Nita

and this is the NCL board and most of us here are kinda 'loyal'....egads married to our cruiseline........lol...

much like the posters on the CCL board/RCCL board etc etc.

Well our first 6 cruises were on NCL, each were fine but there were some issues and NCL did not seem to care about solving them.

Even though we liked the freestyle concept, we heard other cruiselines now offer similar dining options. Since our issues were never resolved we decided to give someone else a try to win our business. Our last 3 cruises were on Celebrity, Royal Carribbean, and our latest panama canal cruise on Holland America.

We found that NCL actually ranked 4th out of the cruiselines we have sailed on.

Please dont marry your cruiseline, try to find the best over all value, I am not saying we will not sail NCL again if the price is right, but NCL will be our last option.

We have cruised NCL twice and have another booked for next May. We like the NCL freestyle concept, prices and entertainment. However, NCL's itineraries are limited. NCL doesn't go to South America, Australia/NZ, or Asia. Celebrity does, so we have our first X cruise next month going through the Panama Canal down the coast of SA. Also, we booked a cruise of Australia for 2013.

We like cruising the MED, but once you have done an eastern and western MED, what is left?

We have cruised NCL twice and have another booked for next May. We like the NCL freestyle concept, prices and entertainment. However, NCL's itineraries are limited. NCL doesn't go to South America, Australia/NZ, or Asia. Celebrity does, so we have our first X cruise next month going through the Panama Canal down the coast of SA. Also, we booked a cruise of Australia for 2013.

We like cruising the MED, but once you have done an eastern and western MED, what is left?

I think the reason NCL does not do some of the itineraries you are speaking of has to do with the fleet. They just don't have enough ships to spread out too much. I wish they did. We always use this guide line: we book according to itinerary and price: if NCl has an acceptable itinerary and the price is close to other lines we opt for NCL, if they don't we cruise other lines. BTW, they did So America for years until a few years ago. The problem, the air is very expensive so it isn't as profitable as other itineraries.

I think the reason NCL does not do some of the itineraries you are speaking of has to do with the fleet. They just don't have enough ships to spread out too much. I wish they did. We always use this guide line: we book according to itinerary and price: if NCl has an acceptable itinerary and the price is close to other lines we opt for NCL, if they don't we cruise other lines.

Really?, Really? Please, I dont see how anyone could misinterpret that "dangerous" refers to dangerous to your pocket book, Value cruiser here I go with the best overall value. I repeat it is dangerous to marry your cruiseline. Oh yeah obviously my post would not go over well with longtimers, and obviously is was not meant for longtimers, just your regular cruiser type looking for value.

Cruiselines market to get you hooked on them, dont believe the hype look for value, not cruiseline.

I used to look for deals only on NCL, one cruise on another cruiseline changed my whole mind set, just trying to save others money, no one is obligated to take my advice, just move on already.

What is wrong with the hype of the Epic? The Epic is not a bad ship - my only criticism of the ship was the ridiculous bathroom design. IMO the entertainment on the Epic is as good as the entertainment on RCCL's Oasis and Allure.

The new ships will be a smaller build with the best of the Jewel & Epic features. The solo cabins on the Epic are a huge innovation in cruising and they always sell out. Wait until you see other cruise lines start to add them - it will happen. Eventually, other lines all end up doing what NCL innovates, like the freestyle dining.

I do agree with you about the quality of food on NCL and their cabins have about the worst storage space on any ships I've ever been on, but I sure wouldn't cross off any NCL ships from my cruise list if they are going to destinations I like.

the hype of the epic which is so bad a ship that ncl cancelled plans to build two other sister ships, etc.

Basically after 6 cruises we did not realize we were missing anything until we traveled on another cruiseline. Now NCL ranks fourth.

Really?, Really? Please, I dont see how anyone could misinterpret that "dangerous" refers to dangerous to your pocket book, Value cruiser here I go with the best overall value. I repeat it is dangerous to marry your cruiseline. Oh yeah obviously my post would not go over well with longtimers, and obviously is was not meant for longtimers, just your regular cruiser type looking for value.

Cruiselines market to get you hooked on them, dont believe the hype look for value, not cruiseline.

I used to look for deals only on NCL, one cruise on another cruiseline changed my whole mind set, just trying to save others money, no one is obligated to take my advice, just move on already.

Example, I just put out a recommendation for a rome round trip 7 day cruise on the Costa Magica for $299 per person inside cabin, if I would have continued to limited myself to NCL only, the deal would have never been found. BOOM!

Example, I just put out a recommendation for a rome round trip 7 day cruise on the Costa Magica for $299 per person inside cabin, if I would have continued to limited myself to NCL only, the deal would have never been found. BOOM!

What you seem to miss is that for a "deal" to exist, there are TWO factors that must be present:

1) An acceptable price for the item offered

2) A desire to consume (purchase) the item

Your example only addresses point 1. However, if my needs are met by, and I am happy with (married to) a specific line, then the item can never be a good deal for me, as I have no desire for consumption.

IOW...if I have no want or desire to cruise on Costa in general, or the Costa Magica specifically, then what you describe isn't (to me) a deal...at any price.

There is more to life than the price.

Don't forget to add a little over a thousand per person for airfare to your "bargain".

BULLETIN $199 rate for a different ship and itineray out of savona

The danger is that you MIGHT miss out on something better in some aspect.

OK, here are some dangerous things:

Getting between Mike Huckabee and a TV camera.

Being a female anywhere near Bill Clinton.

Taking food from most dogs.

Telling a waiter that he's an idiot and he should bring you something different.

Heart attacks.

I could go on but what would be the point.

Dangerous to enjoy a cruise line? Hardly.

How many times are you going to offer your advice....again, tried alot of lines, prefer NCL......

OK, here are some dangerous things:

Getting between Mike Huckabee and a TV camera.

Being a female anywhere near Bill Clinton.

Taking food from most dogs.

Telling a waiter that he's an idiot and he should bring you something different.

Heart attacks.

I could go on but what would be the point.

Dangerous to enjoy a cruise line? Hardly.

Now thats funny......

Since I've never heard anything good about Costa....I'll pass....thanks for the helpful hints.....

Archived