Oosterdam MedEvac Latest from HI Newspaper

billroddy

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I hope Copper, or someone in the know, can confirm but I have been told a cruise ship cannot and does not sail without a licensed MD aboard.[/B]

[B]HAL always has a guest MD and a crew MD, I believe. We don't know which MD was lifted with the 'swimmer' but if what I was told is accurate, there is another HAL provided MD aboard.[/B]

[B]I would wonder if they would substitute a guest MD, given verification of credentials, licensing and insurance and permit a guest who was willing to care for crew or guests needing care??[/B]
[B]My guess is No in anything other than the worst possible catastrophe.[/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]You're right! A HAL ship cannot/will not sail w/o at least one North American-registered trauma/ER-qualified MD onboard. You're right again; the ships usually have one pax MD (see above) and one crew MD (usually Filipino) onboard. The pax MD (usually) serves short contracts and the crew MD much longer. In addition, there are usally two registered nurses, known as a Lead Medical Officer and Medical Officer (so, those are not the docs!) onboard[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]When/if one of the nurses goes up into the helo with the patient, they are not brought back the same way. What that means is that he/she will usually join up with the ship at the next port. We had a medEvac by boat in Alaska this spring where the LMO was brought back by the Ranger boat at Bartlett Cove (Glacier Bay Nat'l Park) later in the day. However, usually it involves an airline trip to the next port for the LMO.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Also, the medEvac by helicopter is usually limited to the patient and, at times, one member of the ship's medical staff. That's it; family/friends/significant others, etc. of the patient will not go up in the helo due to operational constraints/restrictions/liability. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Lastly, cannot answer the question about a blood supply onboard because I don't know![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi, again from the Oosterdam

I do not think any medical staff from the ship went aboard the helo on any of the 3 evacs

That would have left the ship with a very slim, if any, medical staff on board.

Also, regarding medical staff (MD) on board There is a company (don't recall the name) that provides medical staff, by contract, to the cruise lines, so "Yes" there is an MD on board every cruise ship, although they might not be a US licensed MD, but could be English, French etc I say that with no disrespect to physicians from other countries.

All is well aboard the "O"

My question is how much extra fuel do these ships carry. We are traveling a much greater distance than originally planned

[quote name='slomotion']Hi, again from the Oosterdam

I do not think any medical staff from the ship went aboard the helo on any of the 3 evacs

That would have left the ship with a very slim, if any, medical staff on board.

Also, regarding medical staff (MD) on board There is a company (don't recall the name) that provides medical staff, by contract, to the cruise lines, so "Yes" there is an MD on board every cruise ship, although they might not be a US licensed MD, but could be English, French etc I say that with no disrespect to physicians from other countries.

All is well aboard the "O"

My question is how much extra fuel do these ships carry. We are traveling a much greater distance than originally planned[/QUOTE]

Happy to hear that "all is well." Airlines need a certain amount of extra fuel onboard to take care of extra time in the air. Possibly ships also have that requirement. Hopefully you have not seen the crew sewing sheets together. Cherie

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]You're right! A HAL ship cannot/will not sail w/o at least one North American-registered trauma/ER-qualified MD onboard. You're right again; the ships usually have one pax MD (see above) and one crew MD (usually Filipino) onboard. The pax MD (usually) serves short contracts and the crew MD much longer. In addition, there are usally two registered nurses, known as a Lead Medical Officer and Medical Officer (so, those are not the docs!) onboard[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]When/if one of the nurses goes up into the helo with the patient, they are not brought back the same way. What that means is that he/she will usually join up with the ship at the next port. We had a medEvac by boat in Alaska this spring where the LMO was brought back by the Ranger boat at Bartlett Cove (Glacier Bay Nat'l Park) later in the day. However, usually it involves an airline trip to the next port for the LMO.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Also, the medEvac by helicopter is usually limited to the patient and, at times, one member of the ship's medical staff. That's it; family/friends/significant others, etc. of the patient will not go up in the helo due to operational constraints/restrictions/liability. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Lastly, cannot answer the question about a blood supply onboard because I don't know![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[B]Thanks, John.[/B]
[B]It's good to get the correct information. :) [/B]
[B]I had forgotten the guest MD is always North American Registered/ Licensed. [/B]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]You're right! A HAL ship cannot/will not sail w/o at least one North American-registered trauma/ER-qualified MD onboard. You're right again; the ships usually have one pax MD (see above) and one crew MD (usually Filipino) onboard. The pax MD (usually) serves short contracts and the crew MD much longer. In addition, there are usally two registered nurses, known as a Lead Medical Officer and Medical Officer (so, those are not the docs!) onboard[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Lastly, cannot answer the question about a blood supply onboard because I don't know![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Copper 10-8:
I love your inforamtion posts. They are quite complete. Keep up the good work!

Years ago, when I was on a Carnival cruise, the cruise director asked "Who will the ship wait on if they are late from a shore excursion?"

Of course, we all replied, "The Captain." The response was, "Wrong, the first officer is fully qualified to command the ship." "However, the ship's doctor is required to be on board."

Many years later, we were on a HAL cruise to the Amazon. We happened to be seated with the ship's doctor, and his wife at our dinner seating. I remarked jokingly that I was going to be sure to be on shore excursions with them, so as not chance missing the ship.

He laughed, and replied, "The other doctor on board, whose primary responsibility is treating the crew, is fully qualified to be the ship's medical officer, and the ship COULD sail without me."

After that, I decided the safest course was to be on board at all aboard time!

Archived