Help Us Choose Our Barcelona Hotel!

ajmsta

We are leaving out of Barcelona next October. We are staying 1 night Pre cruise. Our 2 choices are as follows.

1) Fira Palace Hotel Barcelona

2) Novotel Barcelona City Hotel

Thanks!!

I am not familiar with either, however, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Meanwhile, have you checked out the reviews of your choices on the TripAdvisor site?

I can't comment on these specific hotels, but can offer something about the areas. I recently returned from a cruise that started in Barcelona where we spent a few days in the city. Both of these hotels are a bit out of the way from the historic core of the city, so it's not as easy to just walk to the attractions as it might be if you stayed closer in. However, Barcelona is an easy place to get around on public transportation and by taxi, particularly if you are traveling with another couple to share the taxi fare. Montjuic, in particular, is a great place for runners and walkers, with parks and views overlooking the city. Except for the stories about pick pockets (we never had any problems though), we felt that Barcelona was safe day and night. Enjoy your stay!

We are leaving out of Barcelona next October. We are staying 1 night Pre cruise. Our 2 choices are as follows.

1) Fira Palace Hotel Barcelona

2) Novotel Barcelona City Hotel

Thanks!!

Have you looked on TripAdvisor or done any research?

We used the venere website for hotels. We saved tons of euros.

I think you would really be much happier staying in a hotel more centrally located. We were in Barcelona last June for 4 days with our Son and Grandson and stayed at the Hotel Continental Barcelona in balcony rooms overlooking Las Ramblas. The location could not have been better at the top of Las Ramblas next to Playca Catalunya and the price was really good at 110 euro per night in separate rooms. Once the word got out on our roll call the hotel filled up quickly with others on the same cruise. It was fun to meet so many of our fellow cruisers ahead of time.I mad the reservations directly with the hotel online many months in advance.Many of the Europe Hotels do not list there rooms with booking companies until after the 1st of the year so if you try to book a very long time in advance it will show the rooms are full when they are not really.

The Fira Palace actually gets great reviews on Trip Advisor! It is right near Placa Espanya which is a stop on the Aerobus from the airport and a large metro station.

It is also near a stop for the hop on hop off bus and is in a location where you can see the evening Magic Fountain show if you are there on a night when it is on.

It is not right near the Gaudi sites but you can get to them easily. For one night it is a perfectly fine location.

I usually suggest that folks who are visiting for the first time stay closer to Placa Catalunya but this is not a terrible spot!

We got back a few weeks ago on HAL Med. Tapestry cruise Oct. 3. We booked through AAA Hotel Rialto off the Las Ramblas. Great hotel. Very clean. Free breakfast. Cost was $143. Hotel was a few blocks (blocks are really alley ways) from the Piscaso Museum and the Gothic Quarter. We even took the Aerobus from the BCE for 5.3 euros each. It dropped us off at the top of Las Ramblas. And it was a short 15-minute walk to the hotel. From the hotel to the Columbus Monument to catch the bus to the ship it was 2 euros each. It was another short 10-15 walk to the bus from the hotel. Really, really inexpensive compared to the ship's transfers from BCN to the port or a taxi.

Hope this helps. Carol

2011 – Westerdam HAL – Dec. – E. Caribbean

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – Eastern Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2007 – Explorer of the Seas - W. Caribbean

2006 – Golden Princess - S. Caribbean

2004 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2002 – Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2002 – Dawn Princess - S. Caribbean

2000 – Carnival Inspiration - S. Caribbean

1999 – Carnival Paradise - W. Caribbean

1996 – Majesty (private) - Key West

1989 – Sovereign of the Seas - E. Caribbean

Frankly, it depends on when you are arriving and how much in advance of your cruise. We have used the Hotel Villa Emillia (excellent) when we wanted to spend a day in Barcelona prior to our cruise, but generally we use Barcelo Sants which is built into the main station since we generally use rail to position pre-cruise and aim to arrive late evening. There is a good, frequent and very cheap{circa €2} rail service from the airport to Sants station and taxis are really plentiful 24 hours a day. We are paying €127 with buffet breakfast in a few weeks time but I cannot recall what Villa Emillia cost, but think it was much the same.

I always marvel at the ability and inclination of Americans and Canadians to hit the sights running after a red eye special!

I think you would really be much happier staying in a hotel more centrally located. We were in Barcelona last June for 4 days with our Son and Grandson and stayed at the Hotel Continental Barcelona in balcony rooms overlooking Las Ramblas. The location could not have been better at the top of Las Ramblas next to Playca Catalunya and the price was really good at 110 euro per night in separate rooms. Once the word got out on our roll call the hotel filled up quickly with others on the same cruise. It was fun to meet so many of our fellow cruisers ahead of time.I mad the reservations directly with the hotel online many months in advance.Many of the Europe Hotels do not list there rooms with booking companies until after the 1st of the year so if you try to book a very long time in advance it will show the rooms are full when they are not really.

We also have stayed at the Hotel Continental and loved the location as well as the complimentary drinks (including beer and wine) and 24/hr buffet. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

There are MANY wonderful hotels in Barcelona.

They are scattered throughout the city.

IF you had a list of things you want to see/do in your short visit it would help us make better suggestions of a convenient place to stay.

IF you just want a comfy place to rest your head and a place that is easy to reach from the airport then the Fira Palace is just fine. IF you want other suggestions then let us know. Otherwise everyone on here will just tell you about their hotel experiences and you will have a looong list from which to choose!

BTW I have stayed at the Onix Rambla twice and love the street on which it is located,just above Placa Catalunya and NOT on the touristy "las ramblas" .

We stayed at the Novotel in July 2011. We loved it. We had two connecting rooms (there were 5 of us). The hotel is fairly new and very modern. There is a mall within walking distance and the breakfast buffet there is not to be missed. It is very close to La Sagrada Familia. We didn't find the location a problem at all. There is a Metro station very close. It was an inexpensive way to get around. There were many other cruisers staying there and the front desk was quite helpful getting everyone organized. We would stay there again.

Kate

Archived