Car rentals - each island

Maddle

I have been looking for information regarding car rentals for each port (Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, and Lahaina.) The best I can come up with for each place is that you must transport in some fashion (taxi, shuttle, bus) to the airport on each island and rent from there. Have I missed something? Seems like there should be some locations "in town" for at least ONE car rental company.

TIA - Maddle

I have been looking for information regarding car rentals for each port (Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, and Lahaina.) The best I can come up with for each place is that you must transport in some fashion (taxi, shuttle, bus) to the airport on each island and rent from there. Have I missed something? Seems like there should be some locations "in town" for at least ONE car rental company.

TIA - Maddle

The shuttles worked out fine for us, never a long wait for one and it was just a few minutes ride to the rental location.

All of the ports have rental car choices with shuttle buses to transport you to their cars, including Kona- where for most people, it still is well worth the cost to reserve for a walk up rental at the King Kam hotel.

So I haven't missed anything? I should expect to take a shuttle at each port.

I'm sure it will work out fine, and that's okay - I just didn't want to reserve something at the airport, and then find an outlet right there at the pier when I arrived.

Maddle

Don't worry, there are no car rental locations right ther at the pier.

In Honolulu, you have the option to rent at airport or in Waikiki. I know for sure that Thrifty has regular shuttles from the airport to the pier when the ship is in port, about every 15-20 minutes. The ride from pier to airport is 15-20 minutes, depending of trafic. From Waikiki they send shuttle only at request (by phone), travel time is less than 10 minutes, but it may take longer until they dispatch the shuttle. Also, be advised that you must take the car and drop off at same location or you will pay $30 extra for one-way rental. I don't know about other rental agencies to have shuttles, beter call them (but call the direct Honolulu number, not the 800 number).

In Hilo, most rentals have shuttles to the pier and the trip to airport location is less than 10 minutes.

Same in Nawiliwili.

I don't know about Lahaina since we docked in Kahului on POA.

We booked all of our cars with Thrifty and had no problems

A shuttle was waiting for us each day as we got off the ship. And a shuttle was available to take us back each time

In Kona as mentioned already we walked off the tender right infront of King Kam hotel where we picked up our rental. This is the only Island that had a rental not at the airport.

Thrifty was great! We even had a hand written thank you sent to our house for using them in Hawaii!

Thrifty was great! We even had a hand written thank you sent to our house for using them in Hawaii!

They are! I left my iphone charger in the rental when we were in Maui and they returned it to the ship; the front desk contacted me to come and pick up a "package".

If you rent from Thrifty, be sure to join their Blue Chip program. It's free and then you should have a special line for check-in at each location. Helps to get you on the road faster. A rental car is the best way to see Hawaii. If renting in Honolulu, you might want to try Enterprise as they have a location closer to the port. We have never used them (usually use The Bus to go to Waikiki), but will be trying them in December this year. Aloha!

Another good word about Thrifty. Once when we were touring around Hilo, DH was biten by some insect that caused an allergic reaction. We were in a tiny town store near Akaka Falls when he passed out about 15 minutes later. The kind lady at the store called 911. Paramedics came and we were taken to the hospital in Hilo. I called Thrifty, left the keys with the lady in the store, and Thrifty drove out there (about 13 miles as I recall) and picked up the car. Everyone was so concerned and helpful, and there was no charge to us from Thrifty for their part in the incident. The attention we received at the hospital was excellent, and we were able to make it back to the ship on time. Thank goodness, as Hilo was our last stop before heading for the West Coast. We thought that Thrifty went above and beyond good customer service. Aloha!

If you rent from Thrifty, be sure to join their Blue Chip program. It's free and then you should have a special line for check-in at each location. Helps to get you on the road faster. A rental car is the best way to see Hawaii. If renting in Honolulu, you might want to try Enterprise as they have a location closer to the port. We have never used them (usually use The Bus to go to Waikiki), but will be trying them in December this year. Aloha!

Another good word about Thrifty. Once when we were touring around Hilo, DH was biten by some insect that caused an allergic reaction. We were in a tiny town store near Akaka Falls when he passed out about 15 minutes later. The kind lady at the store called 911. Paramedics came and we were taken to the hospital in Hilo. I called Thrifty, left the keys with the lady in the store, and Thrifty drove out there (about 13 miles as I recall) and picked up the car. Everyone was so concerned and helpful, and there was no charge to us from Thrifty for their part in the incident. The attention we received at the hospital was excellent, and we were able to make it back to the ship on time. Thank goodness, as Hilo was our last stop before heading for the West Coast. We thought that Thrifty went above and beyond good customer service. Aloha!

Hi! I have arranged two vans for my group in Hilo and Kauai. I tried to join the Blue Chip program but it kicked me out wanting an employer number. We are retired so no employer. Did I miss something that would have let me enroll in program? Mary

Hi! I have arranged two vans for my group in Hilo and Kauai. I tried to join the Blue Chip program but it kicked me out wanting an employer number. We are retired so no employer. Did I miss something that would have let me enroll in program? Mary

Follow this link to get your answer:

http://www.thrifty.com/BlueChip/FAQs_ns/EnrollmentQuestions.aspx

In short, don't worry about it; just enter an alternate contact number.

So far, so good....how much did you find your rentals cost on the different islands?

I have a Ford Fusion (standard size vehicle?) for $77 for Hilo, 12/22, from Thrifty.

In Honolulu I have a mustang convertible for $104, 12/23, also from Thrifty.

I also have a second convertible from Alamo for $85 in Honolulu....but I have had very unhappy experiences with them in Honolulu in the past. My thought is that it will be worth the $20 difference since so many of you have given Thrifty a good review.

Any thoughts? Are these competitive prices, considering I am only about six weeks out? Your experiences with Alamo on Oahu?

Thanks - your input has been very helpful to me.

Maddle

We are also retired and had no problem joining Thrifty's Blue Chip club. Try calling Thrifty.

We always book cars early especially during a holiday time. You can always cancel or change your reservation right up to the time of rental, so there is no reason to wait to reserve.

Just booked a Compact with Thrifty in mid December for $65 (incl. tax). That sounds expensive comparing to what everyone else is paying...:(

I used http://www.hawaiicruisecars.com

Well, it sounds comparable to what I have been finding. Maybe we are late to the party?

Did you use any codes? I used HT14004118 which brought the cars down considerably, but made the convertible go UP! so try different variations on the theme.

Maddle

Well, it sounds comparable to what I have been finding. Maybe we are late to the party?

Did you use any codes? I used HT14004118 which brought the cars down considerably, but made the convertible go UP! so try different variations on the theme.

Maddle

I booked a mid-size on each island in mud- Feb for roughly $42 each including tax. I don't know if the lower price is simply Feb compared to Dec, or if it is a function of time in advance. Not trying to rub it in, just providing info and/or incentive for others.

Who did you book with for Lahaina, Maui? If you are tendering in there, you don't want to make the mistake of booking at the Kahului Airport location. It is a long way from Lahaina.

With the exception of Oahu, all I saw were airport locations on each island. Did I miss something? What is a good alternative if tendering in Maui?

Maddle

I'm not sure if that's the code. When I clicked through the site, it automatically filled it out. I didn't pay attention to the specific code...

Part of me is thinking if I should gamble and go through Priceline to book the car. Problem is I don't want to stuck with a rental company that doesn't have free shuttle from the Port of Honolulu to the airport. I might end up having to pay to get my way to the airport and negate any savings I might have on the car.

I'm not sure if that's the code. When I clicked through the site, it automatically filled it out. I didn't pay attention to the specific code...

Part of me is thinking if I should gamble and go through Priceline to book the car. Problem is I don't want to stuck with a rental company that doesn't have free shuttle from the Port of Honolulu to the airport. I might end up having to pay to get my way to the airport and negate any savings I might have on the car.

Try going to the Thrifty site itself. Try pricing without code and then try with any codes you find. My experience with that particular code was that the price went down, EXCEPT for the convertible.

Also, try Kayak.com for pricing.

I think rental cars are always the wild card.

With the exception of Oahu, all I saw were airport locations on each island. Did I miss something? What is a good alternative if tendering in Maui?

As long as you booked with a company listed for the small west Maui airport location, you'll be fine. Just wanted to emphasize that you do not want to rent from the main Maui airport in Kahului if you are tendering in Lahaina as it is a long way to the Kahului airport from Lahaina, and there are no shuttles.

We usually use Dollar from the small west Maui airport location or Enterprise located at the Sheraton Hotel in Kaanapali. Both provide shuttles and the offices are about 20 or so minutes from the Lahaina pier. I believe there is a Hertz location right in Lahaina, but they are usually more expensive.

As long as you booked with a company listed for the small west Maui airport location, you'll be fine. Just wanted to emphasize that you do not want to rent from the main Maui airport in Kahului if you are tendering in Lahaina as it is a long way to the Kahului airport from Lahaina, and there are no shuttles.

We usually use Dollar from the small west Maui airport location or Enterprise located at the Sheraton Hotel in Kaanapali. Both provide shuttles and the offices are about 20 or so minutes from the Lahaina pier. I believe there is a Hertz location right in Lahaina, but they are usually more expensive.

Just changed my reservation from Thrifty at Kahului to Dollar at West Maui--same price (approx $42 inclusive); same mid-sized car. You saved me and my fellow travelers some unneeded vacation aggravation. Many thanks to you.

Archived