Select dining

big"o"

If it's a good thing is entirely up to you. If you don't want to eat your dinners at the same table, at the same time every night, then Select is for you. If you prefer a more traditional setting, then Select isn't for you.

Other dining options are the extra charge specialty restaurants, the limited buffet and room service.

We really enjoyed it for the flexibility it gives you time wise, also a good chance to meet new people. I think you can request a table for 2 but we always ate at a table for 6 or 8 and only one time did I have to bring out my social skills A game because of the woman I was seated next to. Usually you have a pleasant evening of travel chat with fellow passengers - we actually prefer a lingering evening of conversation to most of the shows. I think some cruisers don't like this option if they want the wait staff to be aware of their preferences but we found the select dining staff quite adequate for our needs. If dinner runs long it might interfere with show time but for us we'll never go back to the assigned dining time again.

We had select dining on Infinity and here is what we liked about it.

We ate around 9 pm which gave us the opportunity to have a drink In the martini bar without a big crowd. First seating folks were at the show and second seating had already begun. Relaxed and listened to the jazz group there.

We found a waiter and assistant the first night who were excellent and we were able to request one of their tables without any problems. Had to wait a few minutes a couple times but it was worth it for Mariawan and Lawrence.

We have a somewhat unusual place to live and occupation (we are coffee farmers in Kona, Hawaii) and find that we do not want to have to explain and answer questions every night. So we sat by ourselves (3 of us) and it was very relaxing.

We finished our dinner - unrushed - at about the same time as second seating was done.

We like the specialty restaurant and sometimes the buffet or room service. With select dining there is no one wondering where you are. With fixed dining we tried to let the table mates know not to wait but sometimes you don't plan that far ahead. Guess we like the spontaneity aspect.

I'm wondering how folks have found the wait staff to be with Select dining -- specifically on the Solstice. The last time we did the non-Traditional seating (on another cruise line), we felt that the service was not as good, possibly because the wait staff knew they were not getting any extra tips as may be given with Traditional seating. BUT, we're going to give it another try on the Solstice & see how it works with Celebrity.

I'm wondering how folks have found the wait staff to be with Select dining -- specifically on the Solstice. The last time we did the non-Traditional seating (on another cruise line), we felt that the service was not as good, possibly because the wait staff knew they were not getting any extra tips as may be given with Traditional seating. BUT, we're going to give it another try on the Solstice & see how it works with Celebrity.

We just finished a 12-day cruise on the Solstice and did Select Dining. The wait staff could not have been better. We were delighted.

Actually we were told the wait staff prefers the Select dining rotation. They know they will not be "stiffed" and may continue to get extra tips from some of us who sit at or nearby the same waiters every night. Select dining is full every night and traditional dining is usually missing people at assigned stations.

Is it true that with select you can make your reservations online?

Yes- This week, I went on Celebrity's website to see if I could make my reservations yet for Select Dining for my April, 2012 cruise. I was very surprised that I was able to do so this far in advance. I had thought that I wouldn't be able to make my reservations until Feb. or March at the earliest.

Mary

Is this a good thing?

What other dining options are there?

We are cruising with friends on the 3rd of December and they do not like to eat late so we chose Select Dining and have reservations for either 7:15 or 7:30 p.m. This is a first for us. We always choose late seating but this is one of those times when a compromise is in order. Actually this gives us time to hit the Martinin Bar for our Grey Goose Martini's before dinner.

We just finished a 12-day cruise on the Solstice and did Select Dining. The wait staff could not have been better. We were delighted.

Thanks for your input, makes me feel more positive about trying this again! I also was thinking about making sure we had plenty of singles (dollars) with us to give to the waiters each night for an extra tip. Does anyone know if they get to keep that or do they have to turn in any "extra" to the tip pool?

Mary, My husbnd and I paid down on out cruise for April 30th Equinox out of Rome but will paid the rest in January....Do you have to wait till your cruise is paid in full before you can choose your dining arrangements?

Hi,

I have only paid my deposit and will also make my final payment in January. I was able to make my Select Dining reservations for my April 14, 2012 cruise with no problems.

Mary

Thanks for your input, makes me feel more positive about trying this again! I also was thinking about making sure we had plenty of singles (dollars) with us to give to the waiters each night for an extra tip. Does anyone know if they get to keep that or do they have to turn in any "extra" to the tip pool?
Don't know of anyone who has done this. Certainly there are some who tip extra at the end of the cruise, just not nightly, but I can understand why you would do this if you have different wait staff each night. Cannot see why they would have to pool this extra tip. It is in addition to the pre-paid tips and I think they only have to pool cash tips if the guest has removed them from the onboard account.

Archived